The new Priority Points System

Trich

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently discovered (and he had no idea that this was the case) that my old man's name was misspelled ON HIS BIRTH CERTIFICATE. (And he's not even sure how his mother spelled her maiden name -- although best I can tell, I come from a fine combination of Basamanowicz, Cieczerska, Jankowski and Stachowiak, which probably does more than anything to explain my "boorish" personality :) .)

...while there may be a lack of continuity in terms of the A.D., I'd be willing to be that Great Friend of the Program Tucci was in on the deliberations for the original point system, and he, and you (unless you're him) and any number of the powers-behind-the-throne that made up the original plan are still very much around and available to be consulted. (And although he shouldn't have sole responsibility for such things, we do in fact have the same President of the University.)

The problem isn't continuity, it's mindset. The athletic department, and by some extension the U. in general, obviously didn't even consider the possibility that opening up the subject to discussion might make some of the mere mortals happy, furthering the U.'s ability to market via word of mouth. Nor, obviously, did they even give a nod to the concepts of "strategic planning" or "institutional memory" by examining why the points system was originally started, then approaching you, or Tucci, or someone else who remembered the original "pain and suffering" and made decisions to avoid its recurrence. (Or, since all this was done in secret, maybe they did -- but if so, the whole concept and rationale could have been communicated more effectively. I guess Julius Hunter doesn't follow basketball.)

You're right that the lack of continuity is a result of the way things are done, i.e. the athletic office's mindset. That's what got them in trouble in the first place when they dictated the choosing of seats in the first move from Kiel to the Arena. As you say, the lack of strategic planning, which should include an "institutional memory," is obvious. I guess those that don't remember history are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

i can attest to that. every year i put in for an upgrade and then get shut down because they cant move my block of seats together to a better location. i am convinced that a new arena is my only chance to ever have better seats.

I love how when I ask people (I admitedly have never asked Margo) at SLU if they read the board, I get a resounding no...But there there are always instances like this.

Just makes me smile and laugh,

Steve

oh i bet they all read it. in fact, i wouldnt be surprised as to the number of slu employees that participate. there are an awful lot of blocked profiles and some that arent sure seem fake.

Or, depending on how things work out and how many big boosters there are, you could even get worse seats in the new arena. Also, I have a feeling that whatever seats we get in this new arena, we will have for a while based upon size and difficulty to upgrade. I can only hope I am satisfied with the ones I get

I understand the change and actually like it as I will get points for soccer season tickets. What I don't understand is why the current ranking had to change. Why couldn't your current ranking stay the same and accumulate new points based upon the new system. I don't remember where I was ... but I think I am about the same. I also think you should get extra points for being a non alumnus and donating ... you alumni should be expected to donate ... I'm doing more than would be expected;

They should also put an online link to everyone's point total ... that way we could get really competitive and donate extra to pass up our buddy. If I was behind Tonka ... for example and could see what I needed to give to pass him ... I could do that and then laugh at his weak greedy self at the games.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I appreciate the discussion about this new system - I was having trouble understanding how I went from 338 to 362 when I continued to me a Billiken Club member and continued making a contribution. Up to this year, I always inched a few rankings better but now I understand what probably happened was that 24 people who were behind me are now getting credit for season tickets in other sports. If the idea is to improve the entire athletic program this way then so be it but I am not sure what having season tickets for soccer or volleyball has to do with men's basketball. Oh well, I did not drop that much so maybe it is not a big deal. I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens next year to see if this change is a problem for me or not. Raising money today is absolutely a challenge. The drop in endowments - 200 million is probably due to the stock market status. I do think the idea of getting more alumni to give more regularily is a good strategy. I would agree that they could have done some proactive pre -information on the topic rather than dumping it on us all sight unseen or unheard.

I appreciate that Roy. It's nice sitting behind Skip. You always want to keep him in your sites as you're not sure what he's up to. Also, when throwing nachos it's okay if Skip is accidentally hit. He never complains about that. In fact, I've seen him lick cheese off of his shirt and he'll often dive for a chip under a seat if he's hungry.

I don't know if I'd call it a dive ... maybe a slip and fall ... I didn't know you saw that. The cheese off my shirt is a better value than the concession stand prices. If Tonka is willing to share ...

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman