Why is Brad wasting his time with JUCOs?

Twice in two years we have ben burned by Juco transfers. It is obvious this is not the way this program can go in terms of recruiting players. Counting on kids to get nessacary trnsfer credits in the summer is a total crapshoot. The first experience with Morris should have taught Soderberg to not rely on these guys coming to SLU. There is just too small a number of JUCO kids who have the wherewithal to get credits to transfer to SLU. Now we are down a player again. Soderberg has been an impresive floor coach but he has a ways to go on recruitment of kids.

I shudder to think where the Billikens would have been (or would be) without Tom Frericks. Also, I believe Vas'shun Newborne, who's already in SLU, as of this summer, will be a significant help to the team. They're both juco transfers: did Brad "waste his time" recruiting them?

These things happen everywhere; it does little good to dwell on them.

Agree with Thicks. We have shot craps twice ... but it was a situation borne of necessity and paid dividends--Frericks and Newborne. Given that Alexander had 3 years of eligibility and we had a need for his athleticism, I think it was worth the risk. If both Lisch and Liddell end up at SLU next year (as expected), I think the use of JUCOs by SLU shall subside.

I can't think that a 50% return on JUCOs even suiting up for a game is worth the effort. I am sure the staff spent many man hours on both Morris and Alexander. Would we not have been better served getting 4 year players who are able to cut it acedemically? I can a pass on Morris, but the same thing happening the following year is another thing altogether. I just don't see ow this can be acceptable.

We recruited them out of neccessity ... I think that Brad doesn't want to depend on his starting 2 from opening day next year to be a true freshmen ... I don't blame him. AA would be there with KL and TL for a year ... If TL had come this year than it would not be neccessary. Like said previously we also got Newbourne and Frericks through the Juco route ... I don't think he knows when he signs them which will make it and which won't. The position he was left with here made it neccessary to use the JUCO's. For example I would be surprised to see us sign another JUCO guard as we have DP,TL,and KL in the fold for 4 years ... the newer recruits will have time to develop. The exception may be next year ... he may still want some more experience on the roster with KL and TL. I think the development of DC will have alot to do with that. IF DC has an excellent year ... I bet he goes to recruiting freshmen guards ... if he is still a ? than I would try t get a juco 2.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I noticed you don't use the Bush pledging allegiance to the flag of Isreal as your Icon here on Billikens.com but do on the post boards. Too controversial for us? Can you name the last US president not to support Isreal? (Probably Roosevelt or Truman because Isreal didn't exist as a state till what 1948?)

Yeah, the signing of Alexander wasn't like the signing of Morris at all. Morris was signed in the fall and filled a glaring need on our ballclub, a drive-and-dish point guard. Alexander was a "by the way" recruit at the end of the spring signing period when it became obvious that Tommie was going to prep school.

Brad had a free scholly and didn't want to committ it to a marginal highschool player or transfer. He recruited a talented player that he didn't need to have and understanding this risk continued to recruit the kid that signed with Xavier. If we had gotten him then this really would be no bid deal. Now, if VN were to not qualify that would be a disaster. By the way, I here VN is on campus and has been an impressive player.

Isn't VN going to summer school? I didn't think he had many academic problems. The fact he's on campus is a good sign. Obviously, SLU doesn't accept correspondence courses or do they ala the RC route at Mizzery. Hey, he picked up 24 hours in eight weeks doing those.