If You're Tracking .....

Taj79

Agree with Duff Man. As long as he is gone at the end of the season then I will go back to rooting with full gusto for a win over Dayton. The earlier part of the season where I was conflicted was the least fun I've ever had as a fan.

After the George Mason win, Crews walked to locker room alone and I was the only one there at the railing. I said to him..."nice win coach" He acknowledged me kindly and it really seemed like it was an exhale of relief from a man who knew the end was near. After watching him first hand at GMU, it was clear that this man just didnt have the horses to complete (which is entirely a reflection of him). However this guy can still coach the game.

The experience confirmed to me what I thought all along; that Crews is a really good coach, but a terrible recruiter and visionary. I truly believe we needed his leadership to capitalize on the last group of Majerus recruits.

However today, the line up of "4 guards and Reggie" being our best combo really shows how far the program has fallen. A little less than a month left now. #firecrews

The only way you'd give Crews another year is if you think SLU could be an NCAA tournament team by the end of Crews' contract.

Does anyone honestly see the core of an NCAA tournament team on this roster?

They can't have another season like this. Even if they're worse next year with a new coach and overhauled roster, at least there's some renewed hope that comes with a new regime.

That said, I don't think we need to disparage Crews or the players. It just didn't work out. The stars didn't live up to their hype, and there haven't been any diamonds in the rough. You've got a few guys who could have been role players on an NCAA tournament team who are doing their best, but they're never going to be good enough to beat good D1 competition.

Let's just try and get through the rest of the season without any ugliness. Stay at home if you want to protest the state of the program. It'll all be over soon.

Perfectly said. Especially the part about it just not working out.

I agree, it just didn't work out. You can point fingers and blame whoever you want (Crews, Majerus, May, Biondi, whoever), but the end is near. There is zero chance in my mind that they decide to bring Crews back barring winning the whole thing in Brooklyn. It's really not justifiable for anyone with common sense.

I hope we beat Dayton tonight and I'm past the conflicted point of hoping the team would lose so that Crews would be fired. He's gone. Let's win some games.

I don't think you can retain him unless you expect to make the NCAA tournament next year. Players he recruited immediately after the best 3 year run for SLU in the last 50+ years will be Jr's. They have to make the tourney in their 3rd year. anything less than that is unacceptable. Regardless of whether it's because he couldn't recruit talent after the 3 year run or because he could and he just can't develop them. Either way it's a fail.

I don't think you can retain him unless you expect to make the NCAA tournament next year. Players he recruited immediately after the best 3 year run for SLU in the last 50+ years will be Jr's. They have to make the tourney in their 3rd year. anything less than that is unacceptable. Regardless of whether it's because he couldn't recruit talent after the 3 year run or because he could and he just can't develop them. Either way it's a fail.

+ 1000000000

I always want the win for the boys no matter what. Losing sucks! Crews has had the talent but he has no concept on how to develop them to make the most of their talents. I am not buying the recruiting excuse. Hard to coach under developed talent! If he had done just that we would be in better position today.

I agree, it just didn't work out. You can point fingers and blame whoever you want (Crews, Majerus, May, Biondi, whoever), but the end is near. There is zero chance in my mind that they decide to bring Crews back barring winning the whole thing in Brooklyn. It's really not justifiable for anyone with common sense.

I hope we beat Dayton tonight and I'm past the conflicted point of hoping the team would lose so that Crews would be fired. He's gone. Let's win some games.

Only one misguided individual with a petty personal agenda would do that to the best coach in the modern era of SLU hoops.

The only way you'd give Crews another year is if you think SLU could be an NCAA tournament team by the end of Crews' contract.

Simply put, no I don't see the core of an NCAA tournament team on this roster.

One thing I learned in those 3 NCAA years was just how good a team has to be to be to make the tournament, provided you don't surprise everyone and win a conference tournament to punch your ticket. There were a few years during Soderberg's tenure that I thought we were close to that NCAA tournament level. After seeing the Majerus teams, I realized that from a talent standpoint, we really weren't that close. Those Soderberg teams had maybe 2-3 players at a time that could contribute to an NCAA tournament team. Generally, you need closer to 5-8 players at that level like we did from 2011-2014.

This current roster has at most 2-3 players, probably less, that could contribute on an NCAA team. The 2-3 figure is factoring in the chance that one or both of Bishop or Neufeld develop as players.

They can't have another season like this. Even if they're worse next year with a new coach and overhauled roster, at least there's some renewed hope that comes with a new regime.

That said, I don't think we need to disparage Crews or the players. It just didn't work out. The stars didn't live up to their hype, and there haven't been any diamonds in the rough. You've got a few guys who could have been role players on an NCAA tournament team who are doing their best, but they're never going to be good enough to beat good D1 competition.

Let's just try and get through the rest of the season without any ugliness. Stay at home if you want to protest the state of the program. It'll all be over soon.

Great post. I think sometimes we fans need to separate 'Crews the person' from 'Crews the coach'. Given what I've seen and heard from him during his time at SLU, Crews seems like a nice, personable guy. I've enjoyed the radio shows this year, despite the fact that it's extremely frustrating that we aren't doing well. Now, behind closed doors or in practice he could be a complete dick, but I can't speak to that. Crews the coach though...not that great.

Great post. I think sometimes we fans need to separate 'Crews the person' from 'Crews the coach'. Given what I've seen and heard from him during his time at SLU, Crews seems like a nice, personable guy. I've enjoyed the radio shows this year, despite the fact that it's extremely frustrating that we aren't doing well. Now, behind closed doors or in practice he could be a complete dick, but I can't speak to that. Crews the coach though...not that great.

+1

Whatever he did at Army, every team I have dealt with Crews personally he has been upstanding, gracious, and amenable. Accessible too.

My fear lies solely in that i feel that the peogram is going off the cliff. I am scared. I want to succeed. I have a lot of personal emotion tied up in this team and i cannot abide the thought of being back in the terrible old years of eternal mediocrity. I want to go dancing. I dont believe for a second that will happen with the current regime.

Sorry for the sanity.

FIRE FIRE FIRE CREWS NOW NOW NOW!!!!