Miles on front page of PD

drkelsey55

I don't have the print edition, but I'm a weekend subscriber so I have access to the e-edition. The picture on the front page of the sports page shows Mike's dunk and he is correctly named in the text down below. So it's possible the print edition had the wrong name, I don't know.

Oops, forgot where I was: Should have said "MC's dunk."

AND, the caption says he "tips in a rebound". His hands are on the rim with ball going thru so I'm pretty sure it was his dunk.

I don't have the print edition, but I'm a weekend subscriber so I have access to the e-edition. The picture on the front page of the sports page shows Mike's dunk and he is correctly named in the text down below. So it's possible the print edition had the wrong name, I don't know.

Oops, forgot where I was: Should have said "MC's dunk."

AND, the caption says he "tips in a rebound". His hands are on the rim with ball going thru so I'm pretty sure it was his dunk.

It appears to say Mike Crawford in that photo.

As for "dunk," that's debateable. It definitely wasn't a rebound. The broadcast didn't have a good replay, but he appeared to have lost the ball right as he was about to throw it down, so it was kind of a layup with a rim-grab at the end. If it were a clean dunk, the ball would be lower than where it is in the photo, given where his hands are. Good way to miss a dunk, actually - grabbing the rim and letting go if you don't have the ball all the way in can be enough to rattle it out.

I would guess that of the 14 (14!) pix that Chris Lee (Chris Lee!) put up on line, he or the night copy editor or the online person swapped two cutlines (most likely), messed up an ID (less likely) or Dickeyed (lest likely, since the genesis of that was an erroneous cutline sent out by Georgia State or whoever we were playing that night).

I would guess that of the 14 (14!) pix that Chris Lee (Chris Lee!) put up on line, he or the night copy editor or the online person swapped two cutlines (most likely), messed up an ID (less likely) or Dickeyed (lest likely, since the genesis of that was an erroneous cutline sent out by Georgia State or whoever we were playing that night).

But only in the print version? Which apparently only one person has?

As for "dunk," that's debateable. It definitely wasn't a rebound. The broadcast didn't have a good replay, but he appeared to have lost the ball right as he was about to throw it down, so it was kind of a layup with a rim-grab at the end. If it were a clean dunk, the ball would be lower than where it is in the photo, given where his hands are. Good way to miss a dunk, actually - grabbing the rim and letting go if you don't have the ball all the way in can be enough to rattle it out.

Both Stu and the SLUnatics are calling it a dunk. Here's the clip that was posted on the SLUnatics FB page.

-PAXP-deijE.gif

Both Stu and the SLUnatics are calling it a dunk. Here's the clip that was posted on the SLUnatics FB page.

-PAXP-deijE.gif

"2. One of those fast breaks resulted in a surprising finish by Mike Crawford, who went up for a two-handed dunk and more or less pulled it off. The ball rattled around a bit but went through, marking the second collegiate dunk by the 6-foot-4 guard. See today's front page."

I have the print edition, it is Mike Crawford "dunking" the ball, and is say " SLU guard Miles Reynolds......" Miles is present in the picture, kind of fussy but clearly visible Sitting on the bench in left lower corner.

My dad's paper says Miles Reynolds; mine says Mike Crawford. Apparently they corrected it before the later edition went out.

On periscope the SLU basketball account was showing media interviews given by Channel 5. First question to MC was for him to describe his world renowned "dunk." I'm a big MC fan but it's sad that a dunk is something worthy of discussing. Look at any team in the country. Lobs, one handed slams, windmills.....a dunk is not special let's move on

"2. One of those fast breaks resulted in a surprising finish by Mike Crawford, who went up for a two-handed dunk and more or less pulled it off. The ball rattled around a bit but went through, marking the second collegiate dunk by the 6-foot-4 guard. See today's front page."

When was his first dunk? I feel like I should remember that.