Bonner League

peace to all of you,

I have been at the Bonner League, and the surprise of the league has been Brian Cusworth. He dominated Mizzou's Jason conley and Thomas Gardner, he also dominated former baylor player Kish Lewis (who played pro ball in Mexico)

Rumor has it, that Cusworth has reconstructed his body at Hammer Body and is now a legitimate force at 7'0'' 250lbs. Word also has it that he is seriously considering transferring to SLU, and would become eligeable to play in the second semester. He would probaly play PF this year if he does decide to transfer.

BUT YOU DIDN'T HERE THIS FROM ME!

I've only seen Cusworth play in high school, and he was 6'11 215 lb then. He was more offensivley skilled and ran the floor better than Ted Morris, who secured a scholarship from Indiana St. If Cusworth really is 35 lb heaver but has maintained his athleticism, he would be following in the footsteps of Robert Archibald, who did the same thing at Illinois. There aren't many 6'11/7'0 guys with decent skills and athleticism that are playing college ball.

the reason it would make sense is that he has decided to play basketball seriously. harvard probably was about academics and basketball on the side. but slu plays in a higher profile league and excelling at slu will provide more future basketball oportunities. acamically it would undoubtedly be a step down from harvard, but not as big as other state like public schools would be.

3Star,

I saw Cusworth play several times in high school and he is a much different player now. Physically, he has filled out a lot. He doesn't look like the big awkward skinny guy he did in high school anymore.

I saw him play once this summer in a summer league game. He looked good, but in the game I saw he had a lot of trouble stopping Southwest Missouri State's Tamar Maclin. Tamar took the ball to him several times and drew a couple quick fouls which pretty much took Cusworth out of the game. (A side note: this stretch was the most aggressive I've seen Maclin play, and when he plays that way he looks like he should be first-team all-Missouri Valley Conference.)

That said, Cusworth would be a great addition to the Billikens. I'm pretty sure there was some behind-the-scenes communication about this potential transfer, but I don't know if it will happen. It depends on what Cusworth would want: a Harvard education and the opportunity to be one of the top players in the Ivy League ... or to play at home in St. Louis for an upstart program in the Atlantic 10 Conference.

- Nate

Some SLU posters say, and I believe it's true, that a kid doesn't have to go to an ACC or an SEC school to get exposed to or noticed by NBA scouts.

Likewise, we shouldn't say a kid will get more exposure/notice by playing at SLU versus an Ivy League school. If you are an NBA prospect with NBA tools they will find you. Remember this past draft when players from Western Carolina, NC Central, Morehead and Cal State Fullerton were drafted in the second round!

you're very much right and make good points. but i'm assuming this situation is more about teamwork and hometown ball. i believe he would get noticed in both places by big people. but i also believe that he sees an opportunity to play on a team that is lacking a man of stature. this is just the beginning of what the board was talking about when we said that brad building a team of good, quick gaurds who know how to pass the orange will start to look mighty attractive to big men.

*(note, this message was produced in a factory that also processes a large amount of sarcasm. feel free to interpret as you please)

Be careful about slamming "state-like public schools." Try the University of Michigan on for size. Or Illinois. Or Ohio State. Or Oklahoma University. Or Mizzou. All of them provide top flight educations, and their graduates will certainly rival SLU's.

Certainly you are not comparing Missouri to Harvard? In general, the public schools' mission is different than schools like Harvard, Washington University or Saint Louis University. There are a handful of public schools that truly are exceptional and the University of Illinois is an example, but they are the exception and not the rule.

Maybe your comment was relative to something else, but I would NEVER put Missouri and Harvard in the same class. Not even the same universe...

As to Cusworth coming to SLU, does anybody know definitely A) what his eligibility would be and B) if this is currently being pursued or instead was a brief consideration on his part? Does he have the athleticism to really compete in CUSA or the A10? If he did, what a front court we could have! And most importantly, does he have the grades to cut it at SLU (just kidding)?

So your intent was to interject a comment pitting SLU against Harvard academically? Or was it to try to compare Missouri to SLU? Or did you perceive a slam at Missouri in BRoy's comment? Anyway, what is your REAL point?

My guess is that you take offense any time there is a negative reference toward Missouri and you feel compelled to jump in and defend the school (perhaps your alma mater).

My point. Roy said that the academic jump from Harvard to SLU would be a downward jump, but not as big a jump as the one from Harvard to a "state-like public school." That comment is, at the very least, provincial and definitely ignores the academic excellence of MANY "state-like public schools." While we all support Billiken basketball, we need to be aware of academic excellence everywhere.

my apologies to michigan and illinois. if you were a regular here, you would know the intent of my comments.