RPI Breakdown

slufan13

I will take La Salle.

Yeah, we've got as good a shot in that game as any left on the schedule. I'm not counting on any road wins.

I also didn't take into account that we may have another top-100 RPI shot in the A10 Tournament.

Looking at the remaining schedule, I would not list any game as a win right now. And sadly, that includes the rematch with Mason. On the larger scale, I am with Pistol in not counting on any road games as a win from here on out. And the home games will be battles, although winning them would not be as big a surprise as some might think.

@VCU: sorry. No hope. Just not going to happen in the den of the league leader needing all the wins they can muster to get a top four bye to the A10. They have survived the loss of Weber and Graham's injury will just have to be played through. I have watched both Richmond and La Salle beat them in their building this year and in both cases, once those teams broke the HAVOC press, they kept going right at the basket. This might be the Yarbrough end-to-end drive situation but Milik is still not court-sense aware that other defenders are coming from other angles. The problem with us is once we break the zone trap, we're likely to set up in that motion offense as we always do and that will place our young guys in a potential double press situation on every play. To beat VCWho you have to make them pay for pressing and limit turnovers so they have to execute a half-court offense. Which they don't like to do.

La Salle: I originally had this as a win from the earliest schedule posting and their early season performance reinforced that. Furthermore, they had not won one the road, losing even at Mason as we did. However, Jordan Price is starting to get his game back. The Auburn transfer has posted games of 22, 34, 30, 13 and 24 in his last five and single-handedly beat VCWho at their place in double overtime on 2/11 with those 34 plus 18 rebounds and 5 assists. Seniors Steve Zack and Jerrelle Wright remain down low and we have to guard them. The backcourt is pretty deep. The great equalizer remains on the bench coaching, however. La Salle has minimal chances for getting any post-season bid.

@ Duquesne: the Dukes chances to win while at home are not bad. Plus they have a revenge factor in facing us for the second time. Plus, they just handled George Washington pretty decisively at the Palumbo Duct Works. That's not saying much as GeeDubya seems in free fall right now after their loss in Foggy Bottom to VCWho this past weekend. Lonergan has failed to employ his bench for much and John Kopriva starting is just by default. The Watanbe kid appears to also have hit the "freshman wall" and was showing weakness in his overall game maybe because of tired legs. Only way GeeDubya get to the dance is winning in Brooklyn.

George Mason: I really can't see losing this game but one thing this season has shown is we are atypical and no assumptions can be made. The only game Mason has won all year on the road was at Wright State. Wright city, wrong team. To lose this game would truly bring the vultures out on our program. Of course, anything remains possible.

St. Bonaventure: I know I hate to see the Bonnies anywhere .... Olean...Chaifetz ....Brooklyn. The Bonnies have won A10 road games at Duquesne, at Umass and at Davidson. Davidson was a prayer-answered finish. Still, wins are wins. Posey, Wright and Ndaye are good players and all but one starter averages in double figures (although FR point Guard Jaylen Adams is out after hand/finger surgery for now and his loss was noticeable against Dayton Saturday).

@ Richmond: as usual, the Spiders are a weird team. They beat VCWho at Siegel but follow up with losses to La Salle, Rhode Island and Mason. Their only win since was a two-point squeaker against the now-potent Fordham Rams --- at home no less. On the road and on senior night for Kendall Anthony. Plus Richmond is somewhat like Syracuse to me ---- only on a lesser scale. Not only do you see the weird match-up zone defense, but their Princeton offense is also hard to defend and seen only once all season. Given what happens in the games already discussed, will the bills be throwing in the towel,playing out the season? Who knows.

So we could lose out and finish 10-21/2-16; best case might be defend the home fires and finish 13-18/5-13. Saint Joe's currently occupied the 10th place in the league at 5 and 7 (the last "Don't Have to Play Wednesday" slot for Brooklyn). Which means in the simplest of terms, we need those three wins to tie the Hawksand gain our head-to-head tiebreaker advantage provided they don't win another game. St. Joe's too entertains three more home games ---- with the Bonnies, Richmond and La Salle all coming to Hawk Hill. I believe they will win at least one of those and maybe all. The road records of those teams guarantee nothing. Which is what the A10 is all about.

Welcome to Wednesday night at the Barclays with an empty lower bowl and the top section curtained off.

Duquesne is our best shot at a road win. What a horrible team. Or at least a horribly coached team. Their gameplan against us last time was nonexistent. I could see us taking one on the road there.

@Pistol: not disagreeing. But I never saw us losing at Fordham and it wasn't the loss but the way we lost that hurt --- disinterested, outplayed and outcoached. Now we did rally and tie it up but then it seemed our climb to that tie exhausted us.

We cannot afford to come out and be flat against anyone. What are your chances/odds of winning? Mine would be

VCU = >01%

LAS = 40%

DUQ = 35%

MAS = 60%

BON = 50%

RCH = 20%

Not disagreeing with you, either. Just looking for our best chances.

By the way, you say we have greater than a 1% chance of beating VCU. I know you mean less than; you were probably sick the day that was taught in third grade.

I'll go like this:

@VCU - 5%

LaSalle - 50%

@Duquesne - 50%

George Mason - 60%

Bonaventure - 50%

@Richmond - 10%

LaSalle and Bonaventure are about even, but better than Mason. I'd like to think those will all be good chances for home wins, not that I think we'll win all three.

VCU is definitely down after those injuries, but playing in their place is a big test.

Richmond is down a bit this year, but we've historically played horrible basketball in that gym.

Duquesne sucks. I'd love to steal a road win there under the ductwork.

Looking at the remaining schedule, I would not list any game as a win right now. And sadly, that includes the rematch with Mason. On the larger scale, I am with Pistol in not counting on any road games as a win from here on out. And the home games will be battles, although winning them would not be as big a surprise as some might think.

@VCU: sorry. No hope. Just not going to happen in the den of the league leader needing all the wins they can muster to get a top four bye to the A10. They have survived the loss of Weber and Graham's injury will just have to be played through. I have watched both Richmond and La Salle beat them in their building this year and in both cases, once those teams broke the HAVOC press, they kept going right at the basket. This might be the Yarbrough end-to-end drive situation but Milik is still not court-sense aware that other defenders are coming from other angles. The problem with us is once we break the zone trap, we're likely to set up in that motion offense as we always do and that will place our young guys in a potential double press situation on every play. To beat VCWho you have to make them pay for pressing and limit turnovers so they have to execute a half-court offense. Which they don't like to do.

It did seem like we did a good of this in the home game. The worst thing you can do against Gimmick is break them, get across half court, then ease up. They will catch you and strip you or trap you.

I could obviously see us losing out, but I think 2-4 seems reasonable to expect. I'll count VCU and Richmond as definite losses even though Richmond isn't great. The other 4 games will be tough for our young team, but that's probably my expectation. Not necessarily saying it's likely, but it's what I want to see.

-we have shown flashes where it looks like we are really good

-we have shown in extended periods where we are not good

-I would love to over the next 6 games reverse those, I know not bloody likely, but I would settle at this point for getting the two even