JC

slu72

Good post, Bauman. Contrast this period to last year. We were hitting our stride entering the A10 tourney. This year we can't put one foot in front of the other w/o tripping. Had some hope after the UMass game, because we played D. If we don't play D, we'd lose

to Savannah St. For any chance at success next weekend, they have to get their D groove back.

I don't buy this playing w/o urgency or energy. These guys play hard, because they know they have to to win. I don't doubt there's some weariness and nagging injuries, but that shouldn't be a factor in their next game. Folks say we're offensively challenged, and we are when it comes to 3 pt shooting, but we've scored when it was needed both in Ws and the recent Ls. The missing element has been our D. RM wouldn't have stood for it. Suggestion to JC, neither should you. When any team gets up to 6 unanswered points, call a friggin TO and get in their grill. These days we try and match the other team's tempo and that's not the way this team was designed. We're supposed to dictate the tempo, and it's anything but upbeat. It kills me when I see us take a shot w/25-30 ticks on the clock. Take it if it's a bunny you just can't pass up, but don't go jacking up a 3 or try and force something inside. Make the other team expend their energy on D. Keep the score in the high 50s low 60s is the goal. Frustrate the heck out of them and deny them their offensive flow.

As for minutes, cut back, way back, on JBs. I know he's been our punching bag all year, but who can see anything of value in all those minutes he gets? He's a 3 that can't slash, is an inconsistent 3 shooter at best, and usually overmatched on D. Hello, why is he getting all that playing time? Get TL in there and move DE back to the 3. JB should be used sparingly to give DE a breather, which means he gets about 10 minutes a game. Not going to get into the, "where's MC" thing as the only people that know is the staff and they're not saying anything as to his status.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post, Bauman. Contrast this period to last year. We were hitting our stride entering the A10 tourney. This year we can't put one foot in front of the other w/o tripping. Had some hope after the UMass game, because we played D. If we don't play D, we'd lose

to Savannah St. For any chance at success next weekend, they have to get their D groove back.

I don't buy this playing w/o urgency or energy. These guys play hard, because they know they have to to win. I don't doubt there's some weariness and nagging injuries, but that shouldn't be a factor in their next game. Folks say we're offensively challenged, and we are when it comes to 3 pt shooting, but we've scored when it was needed both in Ws and the recent Ls. The missing element has been our D. RM wouldn't have stood for it. Suggestion to JC, neither should you. When any team gets up to 6 unanswered points, call a friggin TO and get in their grill. These days we try and match the other team's tempo and that's not the way this team was designed. We're supposed to dictate the tempo, and it's anything but upbeat. It kills me when I see us take a shot w/25-30 ticks on the clock. Take it if it's a bunny you just can't pass up, but don't go jacking up a 3 or try and force something inside. Make the other team expend their energy on D. Keep the score in the high 50s low 60s is the goal. Frustrate the heck out of them and deny them their offensive flow.

As for minutes, cut back, way back, on JBs. I know he's been our punching bag all year, but who can see anything of value in all those minutes he gets? He's a 3 that can't slash, is an inconsistent 3 shooter at best, and usually overmatched on D. Hello, why is he getting all that playing time? Get TL in there and move DE back to the 3. JB should be used sparingly to give DE a breather, which means he gets about 10 minutes a game. Not going to get into the, "where's MC" thing as the only people that know is the staff and they're not saying anything as to his status.

They're not saying anything because we don't have a reporter who is willing to ask.

But yeah. This team was built to win with defense. The team isn't playing defense. Maybe once all these seniors are gone, Crews can go to this style of play that he wants with his types of players. But they only have one more game left this season if they don't start defending.

Good post.

It is a different year.

IMO last year also winning the A-10 Tournament was a milestone, the kids stayed pumped up. And we were deeper.

This year, after the long streak, we were thinking that the ultimate test is really the NCAA's. So not as much energy for the next few games. *Letdown phase.

And, we know DE was hurting for several games.. though he looked a lot better for St. Bonnie... and JJ is hobbling. Our two stars.

What does everyone expect? They are not "playing bad or not focused", JC is not suddenly incompetent. It is a different set of circumstances.

Unfortunately, we are now a # 7 seed according to Lunardi, playing Iowa (a #10) then KU if we win... in St. Louis. Of course, that is just today's bracketology... but lots of teams have coasted and / or had injuries late in the year and slipped. (comment, Louisville is a # 4, what a joke, they are one of the top 4, 5 teams in the country, no doubt... again, some of the seeding is a crapshoot)

Let's not blast the kids for their efforts nor JC for his coaching.

(* see: "letdown game(s)" "trap game" "sandwich game" "looking ahead" "peeking ahead")

Fu©k a race, i want a Billiken Board Royal Rumble!

Good idea.

I will race him any distance he says, immediately after an MMA-rules cage match. :lol:

(Will somebody please explain to MB73 the Salina KS reference? Somebody challenged somebody to a fight up there, I dunno.)

How'd you like to be a 'Cuse fan these days? Same bloody thing's happening to them.

Exactly. They went from a lock # 1 seed, coasted, had a key injury, to now a #3. If their center gets back to 100%, watch out, they can get to the Elite 8 or better.

I'll add my 2 cents to this thread:

1. MB and Bauman are probably right: we just aren't as good as many of us thought we were. We did have a favorable schedule at beginning of conference play, so we kind of milked the win streak. Maybe, after all, we were better last year.

2. I basically agree with those saying the defense is regressing. A lot of open shooters, a lot of easy baskets and drives by opponents.

3. The ball sloppiness is pretty much all on the players, not coaches. These guys should not be giving up so many really BAD turnovers, many unforced or slightly forced. Just bad.

4. I now think teams are figuring out good ways to mess with us, tactics like the zone that we are not handling well. In short: teams have figured us out.

5. Last point: why let these teams hang around, when we put together leads? where is the killer instinct?? There are always close games in March, of course; but without looking at the schedule, when was the last "laugher" score?

I'll add my 2 cents to this thread:

1. MB and Bauman are probably right: we just aren't as good as many of us thought we were. We did have a favorable schedule at beginning of conference play, so we kind of milked the win streak. Maybe, after all, we were better last year.

2. I basically agree with those saying the defense is regressing. A lot of open shooters, a lot of easy baskets and drives by opponents.

3. The ball sloppiness is pretty much all on the players, not coaches. These guys should not be giving up so many really BAD turnovers, many unforced or slightly forced. Just bad.

4. I now think teams are figuring out good ways to mess with us, tactics like the zone that we are not handling well. In short: teams have figured us out.

5. Last point: why let these teams hang around, when we put together leads? where is the killer instinct?? There are always close games in March, of course; but without looking at the schedule, when was the last "laugher" score?

St Joes. It happened in the Paleozoic age as I recall. And we'd better figure out ways to beat a zone, because any HC worth his salt will implement a no fly zone D against us. Sadly, we can't beat it in the traditional way, ie shoot over it. I'd station RL or DE at the foul line and let them distribute the ball around the wings and perimeter. JJ ain't driving on a well played zone.

At the end of the day, JC has done a great job coaching this team of RM's recruits. No one can argue that. It's been a great couple of years. The real test for JC is going to be what happens in the next 2-3 years. If he is not able to recruit given our recent momentum (stlhoops makes a good point), then it's time to question his coaching. This national recognition we've received should help us get more 3-4 star recruits (yeah, we need Tatum's son in 2015). We also have some high caliber, young assistant coaches in Cheaney and Bronson, which should help.

I can't help but put more of the blame on the recent poor play on the seniors. They are some of the most experienced players in the NCAA and have lost 4 of 5…that should not happen with this team.

I can only hope that losing to the Bonnie's helps wake them up. They are capable of going deep in the tournament. No one is going to want to play us.

Obviously the proof will be in the pudding but anyone at this point who says JC can't recruit is crazy. He has brought in 3 nice freshmen this year and the class coming in next year is the highest ranked class in recent memory. Not to mention that he brought in AY from Villanova which i consider to be a pretty nice steal. Of course he deserves blame for this recent slide but so far he's proven more than capable in leading this team.

The real answer here is we are good and 26-6 is right where we ought to be. During our 19 game run we won a lot of close games. If you play a lot of close games you are going to lose some. During that stretch we were good and lucky and won them all. The odds have now caught up with us and we've lost the recent close games except UMass. Now it is time for the odds to swing back our way. MM is on. JJ will have time to heal.DE will be DE and RL will be RL. These guys are ready to face some teams they haven't seen and have some. I think we are heading to the sweet 16 where they will cement their legacy.

Football and swimming. Competitive triathlons and trail races now. When do you want to race?

Football and swimming? Rare combination. What grade school?

As I said earlier, we'll race immediately after a 3 round MMA rules bout.

I'd like to get in on this. Let me know where and when.

Awesome! Lets do it. I know at least two other posters who would be in on this! How about the Innsbrook Quartermax? Or the half. I'll do either.