VCU by 4 over the Bills

The Wiz

Well that's different....not leading with the Bills in the headline.

Tough (and freakish) loss last night ....I won't rehash it here....If you want the analysis check out post #32 on the "Bills by 17" thread...

So as Coach K tells his team when they screw up....next play

And our next play is VCU.....

Well if this season's history is meaningful then we should win this game...Anytime we have played a weak team and struggled we have followed with a good game against a good team.....

RI.....Day

Duq...Rich

GM....St. J

GM....GW

Duq....VCU?

4 pts falls within the close game range ( 5 )

Here is what we need to do to win.....

Get back to basics....FG% 44........3pt % ..1/3........FT%...70....all very doable

On the VCU side...3pt D.....hold them to 21%....no more than 5 made...15 att...need 2 of 3 in this category

Johnson is their gunner....hold him to 28% or less from the arc

Hold Reddic to 10 pts or less

And finally last but not least.........protect the ball.....VCU still leads the nation in steals......We need 11 or less TO's ...and keep VCU steals to 8 or less

So despite the headline we can win this game if we play a "regular" Bills game.

Let's start a new 12 game winning streak.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's different....not leading with the Bills in the headline.

Tough (and freakish) loss last night ....I won't rehash it here....If you want the analysis check out post #32 on the "Bills by 17" thread...

So as Coach K tells his team when they screw up....next play

And our next play is VCU.....

Well if this season's history is meaningful then we should win this game...Anytime we have played a weak team and struggled we have followed with a good game against a good team.....

RI.....Day

Duq...Rich

GM....St. J

GM....GW

Duq....VCU?

4 pts falls within the close game range ( 5 )

Here is what we need to do to win.....

Get back to basics....FG% 44........3pt % ..1/3........FT%...70....all very doable

On the VCU side...3pt D.....hold them to 21%....no more than 5 made...15 att...need 2 of 3 in this category

Johnson is their gunner....hold him to 28% or less from the arc

Hold Reddic to 10 pts or less

And finally last but not least.........protect the ball.....VCU still leads the nation in steals......We need 11 or less TO's ...and keep VCU steals to 8 or less

So despite the headline we can win this game if we play a "regular" Bills game.

Let's start a new 12 game winning streak.

Wiz has us losing? I LOVE our chances then. SLU by 7.

What would our AP ranking/RPI/Wiz's ranking/MB's Vegas rank look like with a win tomorrow at VCU? Im assuming a big drop is inevitable, but a win at VCU could really absorb most of the damage from last night.

The Vegas resource I use has SLU way down tied for 41st this morning. Before yesterday we were tied for 31st. Remember it is a ranking based upon how the team is playing NOW, with past results of course taken into consideration, and what the public and the big time gamblers and consortiums will bet, but again, focusing on what they expect NOW when the teams play each other.

Before yesterday I thought we would squeak by and beat Duquesne, and then go into VCU fat-dumb & happy and finally have our big letdown from clinching the A-10 and get beat badly by a very motivated athletic hungry VCU team that is playing for an A-10 bye, revenge from our previous win, and even them still making sure they make the NCAA's. Even with their lousy coach.

But with our embarrassing loss, perhaps our lads will rally and really push hard to get on the right track, though I fear the likelihood of a VCU win. They still need the win a lot more than we do and I still think we still might not be fired up enough. Vegas thinks the bettors think we will bounce back and will go with VCU as only a 4 point favorite or so.

AP & USA? If we beat VCU IMO we will wind up about 20-22nd, if we lose, we will be out of The Top 25. Tough to tell how the voters will look at this debacle.

Being a mid major with an 80 SOS, we cannot fully recover from a loss like Duquesne, especially if we add another loss against VCU. We just haven't beaten a top notch (AP-USA ranked) club this year, we are paying for our extremely weak out of conference schedule.

I can easily see us losing this game. VCU has the athleticism with both their guard play and their bigs that usually gives us trouble.

Only way we lose is if you don't show up to FH. If backhand shows up, we all lose.

The Vegas resource I use has SLU way down tied for 41st this morning. Before yesterday we were tied for 31st. Remember it is a ranking based upon how the team is playing NOW, with past results of course taken into consideration, and what the public and the big time gamblers and consortiums will bet, but again, focusing on what they expect NOW when the teams play each other.

Before yesterday I thought we would squeak by and beat Duquesne, and then go into VCU fat-dumb & happy and finally have our big letdown from clinching the A-10 and get beat badly by a very motivated athletic hungry VCU team that is playing for an A-10 bye, revenge from our previous win, and even them still making sure they make the NCAA's. Even with their lousy coach.

But with our embarrassing loss, perhaps our lads will rally and really push hard to get on the right track, though I fear the likelihood of a VCU win. They still need the win a lot more than we do and I still think we still might not be fired up enough. Vegas thinks the bettors think we will bounce back and will go with VCU as only a 4 point favorite or so.

AP & USA? If we beat VCU IMO we will wind up about 20-22nd, if we lose, we will be out of The Top 25. Tough to tell how the voters will look at this debacle.

Being a mid major with an 80 SOS, we cannot fully recover from a loss like Duquesne, especially if we add another loss against VCU. We just haven't beaten a top notch (AP-USA ranked) club this year, we are paying for our extremely weak out of conference schedule.

There is no way the AP voters drop SLU 10-12 spots and USA Today drops them 12-14 spots if they win on the road against VCU. The Duquesne loss will then be looked at as a total fluke loss, a la Boston College at Syracuse. At most, with a VCU win, they drop SLU down a few notches. Remember, a VCU road win will mean a season sweep of a respected, NCAA-tourney team and keep the Billikens undefeated on the road.

Now, two losses, I think it MIGHT be possible they get jettisoned out of the top 25 in one or both polls. More likely, though, they barely stay in and at the 20s. Hopefully, we don't have to find out about this.

There is no way the AP voters drop SLU 10-12 spots and USA Today drops them 12-14 spots if they win on the road against VCU. The Duquesne loss will then be looked at as a total fluke loss, a la Boston College at Syracuse. At most, with a VCU win, they drop SLU down a few notches. Remember, a VCU road win will mean a season sweep of a respected, NCAA-tourney team and keep the Billikens undefeated on the road.

Now, two losses, I think it MIGHT be possible they get jettisoned out of the top 25 in one or both polls. More likely, though, they barely stay in and at the 20s. Hopefully, we don't have to find out about this.

SD State was 6th, lost 7 spots after losing to a very solid (now ranked # 25 in AP) New Mexico squad on the road in The Pit. We lost at home to last place in the mediocre A-10 227 RPI Duquesne.

VCU is tough, but is not ranked in the AP or USA, and they didn't even get any votes. So I wonder how much that would help us if we beat VCU even on the road. I fear the point is moot.

We are talking about the fickle AP & USA Polls, it is debatable, but I still say, we'll lose 10-12 spots to #20 - #22 if we beat VCU, and out of the Top 25 if we lose to VCU. SO many power conference teams will leapfrog us with our 80 SOS and the bad-looking-on-paper-Duq loss, even though it was a letdown anomaly. We shall see.

SD State was 6th, lost 7 spots after losing to a very solid (now ranked # 25 in AP) New Mexico squad on the road in The Pit. We lost at home to last place in the mediocre A-10 227 RPI Duquesne.

VCU is tough, but is not ranked in the AP or USA, and they didn't even get any votes. So I wonder how much that would help us if we beat VCU even on the road. I fear the point is moot.

We are talking about the fickle AP & USA Polls, it is debatable, but I still say, we'll lose 10-12 spots to #20 - #22 if we beat VCU, and out of the Top 25 if we lose to VCU. SO many power conference teams will leapfrog us with our 80 SOS and the bad-looking-on-paper-Duq loss, even though it was a letdown anomaly. We shall see.

SDSU lost the week before at above average Wyoming

I'll give you my tix to the Dayton game (you have to agree to go and have a beer with Bizzle though) if either of the scenarios in your last paragraph happens.

What would our AP ranking/RPI/Wiz's ranking/MB's Vegas rank look like with a win tomorrow at VCU? Im assuming a big drop is inevitable, but a win at VCU could really absorb most of the damage from last night.

Concerning my numbers, we dropped from 27 to 34....A double digit win over VCU and most of the numbers will be fixed...ie we will be back where we were on Wed....a close win over VCU (by a few points) and we will repair about half the damage. It will then take a another double digit win over Dayton to get back to where we were on Wed. So while the Duq game was a damaging loss, it is not irreparable.

Surprised we get only 4 after the smackdown DQ put on you in front of 10k fans at your own arena. Fun to come!

OK, I was holding it back as long as I could to let you guys to get over it, but It's all been said here already (See the "Our Season Is Over" thread).

You still haven't locked up the conference, and you don't have a bunch of lame sub 200 RPI teams left on the schedule.

Here's hoping that VCU and SLU get the 1 and 2 seeds and go blow to blow in the A10 championship with 4 and 5 seeds at stake.

Surprised we get only 4 after the smackdown DQ put on you in front of 10k fans at your own arena. Fun to come!

OK, I was holding it back as long as I could to let you guys to get over it, but It's all been said here already (See the "Our Season Is Over" thread).

You still haven't locked up the conference, and you don't have a bunch of lame sub 200 RPI teams left on the schedule.

Here's hoping that VCU and SLU get the 1 and 2 seeds and go blow to blow in the A10 championship with 4 and 5 seeds at stake.

Backhand started the thread as a joke. He didn't realize a retarded VCU fan would take it literal. But then again, he doesn't care about you sticks.

I'll give you my tix to the Dayton game (you have to agree to go and have a beer with Bizzle though) if either of the scenarios in your last paragraph happens.

Why don't you get on The Wiz's ass? He had us at 27th, now 34th. Please answer the question. When you are wrong, which is often, you usually revert to smart ass jokes.

Answer the question.

The goddam Wiz had us at 27. Now 34. And you jump on my ass. Explain.

(No deal on the Dayton game, though it would be hilarious to meet you and bizzleboy and the rest of your coalition some day... maybe at a bar to see a road game.)

Im not going to argue with anyone but VCU should win fairly easy.

SLU hasn't seen Havoc in the Stu.

MUCH more intense than on the road.

Still pissed Duquense won lol. Stole our thunder.

You guys still have the #1 spot locked up imo.

With a loss tomorrow you guys are right around #15-18

I wish the dullard VCU posters would get TF off our board.

They tout a buncha thugs playing collision "D"; they get away with it sometimes and it looks impressive. Terrible low life way to play the game.

Why don't you get on The Wiz's ass? He had us at 27th, now 34th. Please answer the question. When you are wrong, which is often, you usually revert to smart ass jokes.

Answer the question.

The goddam Wiz had us at 27. Now 34. And you jump on my ass. Explain.

(No deal on the Dayton game, though it would be hilarious to meet you and bizzleboy and the rest of your coalition some day... maybe at a bar to see a road game.)

Don't want to jump to someone else's defense, but I don't think moy has been bitching about any ranking this year. Some of us (myself included) had problems last year with you on validity of certain rankings last year.

I think we were underrated for much of last year in voting polls and overrated in those same polls this year. It is funny that you keep touting Vegas power ratings this year. Last year those same ratings loved us a lot more than you did. The one MGM and the Bay uses for their odds had us at 12th entering last years tourney when you were complaining about how much Pomeroy and the Wiz were overrating us with similar rankings.

Don't want to jump to someone else's defense, but I don't think moy has been bitching about any ranking this year. Some of us (myself included) had problems last year with you on validity of certain rankings last year.

I think we were underrated for much of last year in voting polls and overrated in those same polls this year. It is funny that you keep touting Vegas power ratings this year. Last year those same ratings loved us a lot more than you did. The one MGM and the Bay uses for their odds had us at 12th entering last years tourney when you were complaining about how much Pomeroy and the Wiz were overrating us with similar rankings.

I used Vegas power ratings last year and told everybody, I even provided the link, posted it.

I do not recall us being ranked 12th entering the tourney last year but either way our dispute was with 10 or more games to go in the regular season.

I was challenging The Wiz and foo foo Pomeroy when they were touting us at 12 & 13 WAY before we deserved it, well before we were even in the middle of our 16-2 run. I know, predictive model blah blah algorithms. At that point I recall I said we were 35-45, something like that. YOU are citing a later period, when we won the A-10 season championship and THEN the A-10 Tourney.

You have lost track of the space time continuum or are spinning it to misrepresent the facts.

I agree we were underrated mid-late last year by AP & USA a bit until the final NCAA results and overrated us this year by AP & USA at #10.

Vegas had us 31st yesterday going into the Duq game, now 41st. I understand it's strength and weaknesses as pertaining to the actual rankings of teams, but it serves as well as any other methodology.

Nice try.

(brianstl = coalition member)