Duquesne from the MD couch ....

Taj79

... I want a blowout. I want a laugher that takes me all the way to the bank (A10 title/#1 seed/two byes/early game times) in Brooklyn. I don't want to come on here tomorrow and lament two otherwise 6'8" stiffs having career nights against us (Soko and McKoy). I don't want Micah Mason to make a three tonight. Ho-ho-ho. Laugher-laugher-laugher. Merry Christmas ya' filthy animal.

In the week that was, last night delivered three expectations. I expected Mason, La Salle and Umass to all win. Mason beat Richmond 37 to 16, and then found out they had to indeed play the second half. At one point, it was Mason 55, Richmond 25 and Kendall Anthony 23. I suspect Richmond has achieved their high water mark and will lose out to drop to 8 and 8 going into Brooklyn. W/o Williams and Lindsey, they are meat. Mason got out of the dreaded play-in game (for now) with the win.

The Bonnies took a one-point lead at La Salle at the 2:33 mark then missed three threes, two layups and a jumper, failing to score the rest of the way. Don't think either the Bonnies or La Salle can do much in terms of rising or falling and they will meet again in Brooklyn as the 8/9 game. Meaning we will likely see one of them again in the tournament.

And I guess URI saw Umass as quite a rivalry game ... that game wasn't decided until less than 30 seconds were left. In Amherst no less. But Umass won.

The projections still to hold; I expect both VCU and Umass to win out and finish 12 and 4. That would give Umass second over VCU due to head-to-head. St. Joe's is riding some pretty big MO, bu tthey still have to go to Olean and Foggy Bottom. Originally, I thought they lose both of those to finish 11 and 5 but they might be able to steal one in New York. I still think 11 and 5 and getting fourth. Which means Umass and VCU get to slug each other before coming anywhere close to us. I'd like that. I also would not be surprised to see us pull one or both out. We are doing quite well on the road so who knows. Gonna be great no matter!

Now just kick the snot out of Duquesne!!!!!

Aw rightie now .... let's go to the tape .....

A laugher. Delivered? Hell no. Shutting down 6'8" stiffs? Did not happen as Soko and McKoy combined for 21 points and ten rebounds. Not bad, but not good. But then we let a 6'4" nobody in Jerry Jones create a legend he will be telling his grandkids some day. Maybe Jake was on him too. Shut out Micah Mason? Nope but it just proves you can't put Jake Barnett on him, despite what the demographics might suggest. It was interesting the way they diced us up ---- if we went out to double the dribbler, he dropped it to a cutting picker for a layup. If we played straight up, Mason bombed away. They ran one play all night. When that failed, give it to Soko to lower his shoulder and barrel in for a foul. And isn't lowering the shoudler still an offensive foul?

Welcome to the annual "clunker" game. Last year, it was Rhode Island at the Fetz. The year before, it was at Rhode Island. Rhode Island again the year before that at the Fetz and in the A10 tourney. And the always laughable 20-point game at GeeDubya needs mentioning. Shite happens. We all knew (or feared) it would come. It's over, move on.

Yo 05! Trap game, maybe? Whatever, we just did not have it and that happens. As others have noted in other threads, we have played with fire and with fire and we got burned last night. I am going to focus on the positive ---- we got that one out of our system, the streak is over, we can stop reading our press clippings now, nothing is really lost, and so on. The real negative is now the Dayton game becomes completely relevant and critical. The projection on the overall record took a hit, and the two expected losses to come on the road this week make that Dayton matchup nail-biting crucial. Now I have to root for Umass at Dayton this week to dampen Dayton's hopes before they get here. Given what Duquesne did to us last night, Dayton now scares me. Even though their recent effort at St. Joe's was truly bad. Never a dull moment in .......... oh wait, it's tough to be a Billiken fan.

At one point during Duquesne's run, we had a lineup of Manning, Crawford, Jett, Evans and McBroom out there. Who shoots in that lineup? Crawford had already missed his first one so he wasn't jacking any more up. Evans was completely stifled by the Soko/McKy double team. Jett was not himself last night. And McBroom had tons of trouble getting decent shots off, let alone making any. Manning had the students countign down the shot clock to help him and he still didn't launch it. Oh well .... I liked his dunk (Rob Loe, take note). I only liked Mike McCall's game and would give a decent grade to Loe overall as well.

Well, things got interesting to say the least. We did not seem ready to play. They wanted it more than us.

Well, things got interesting to say the least. We did not seem ready to play. They wanted it more than us.

I always hate clichés like "they wanted it more", but I don't think I've ever seen it more true than last night. We were outhustled, outworked, and outplayed. Anyone who thinks we deserved to win that game is in denial.

By the way, thanks to Moytoy I had an excellent view of Crews being so po'ed he came as close as I've ever seen to him getting t'ed up. He gave the lone black official a hands raised WTF gesture early and the ref responded with a just put your arms down and shut up gesture. It went down hill from there. Crews kicked the sideline advertising thingy pretty good at one point and was screaming in the huddle a couple of times.

A sellout crowd just sat on it's hand since there was so little to cheer about

I was there and as far as the crowd, we were stunned. We came expecting a party and got broadsided by the Dukes. Why McCall wasn't stuck on Mason the whole night, I don't know. Why the inconsistency of the officiating, I don't know. Why they didn't continue to use Evans down low in the second half after he scored two quick baskets, I don't know. Just all around...I DON'T KNOW. But, I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore. Whew. Got that out. Onto the next game.