VCU @ Umass on ESPN2 Tonight

Taj79

You'll find out how bad we suck shortly. Better bring a better game than the last two if you plan on not getting blown out. We need to run the table which is very possible. VCU did suck last night. We missed 18 layups. That's 36 friggin points. Make 9 and win by 12-15 On that we can fully agree. By the way Majerus RIP with all the respect in the world from me has been gone quite some time now. He was arguably the best coach in the game. Time to change your screen name. Get the job done tonight. Should be an easy win for Saint Louis U.

ALL WE DO IS WIN. when VCU beats us you can talk. until then go away

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey MudKat life has ups and downs, now what VCU has to do if to try harder in the remaining games. All the best guy, we need to have as many A10 teams in the big dance as possible. I am pretty sure VCU is still in. No need to despair, that is just not the Jersey way.

Sorry, the Jersey way is despair. Imagine $10k of property tax. 1/3 of your mortgage payment. I don't wanna be here, but this is where the job is for now.

NEXTYEAR, you can count on me NOT going away. I like it here.

ALL WE DO IS WIN. when VCU beats us you can talk. until then go away

You guys have had a very favorable conference schedule, having played only four teams in the top "half" (top 7) of the conference (the rest of the top half of the conference have played at least six games against each other). Only two of those games were on the road and one of which was at Dayton, who currently sits in seventh in league play and has fallen at home to two other teams in the top half of the conference (SJU and VCU).

Credit to SLU, you guys have won the games that have been on your schedule, but you also haven't faced anywhere close to the amount of adversity the rest of the top seven teams have.

Good luck to you guys cuz we might not even make the dance at this pace. Just friggin awful. You guys are gonna have to carry the flag this year. Take care of business. We don't deserve anything but an 11-12 at best...if we get there at all.

Hey, they just said SLU is the best D team in the country. Pretty good stuff. It is hard to argue with that.

Stick with this stuff.

You guys have had a very favorable conference schedule, having played only four teams in the top "half" (top 7) of the conference (the rest of the top half of the conference have played at least six games against each other). Only two of those games were on the road and one of which was at Dayton, who currently sits in seventh in league play and has fallen at home to two other teams in the top half of the conference (SJU and VCU).

Credit to SLU, you guys have won the games that have been on your schedule, but you also haven't faced anywhere close to the amount of adversity the rest of the top seven teams have.

no excuses. just win. your words are just noise

In VCU's defense, Lalanne, Carter, Esho and Putney stand pretty tall along the backline and do tend to intimidate the guys taking the shots, layups or not. Do not dismiss that ---- the usual suspects at Dayton blamed their poor shooting as why they lost to us so badly in January. Without ever taking into account what our defense did to them at all. One goes with the other.

I thought the first half was hilarious. Each team had 50+ possessions in that half. VCU led 39 to 34 so there was a whole lot of missing on both sides. It reminded me of the style used in a 75 to 69 indoor arena football game. I was waiting for Umass to crack .... they only really play 6 guys with Esho not getting much more than 10 per behind Davis. Davis burned you guys down the stretch too. Esho is limited to dunking. Esho is their Grandy Glaze--- energy man.

I know Jordan Burgess was supposedly your best guy LAST year while redshirting but call me unimpressed with that four-star recruit so far. I'm sure he'll only improve but right now, nothing. I guess the plan is to use Johnson more as a microwave off the bench but despite those four-stars on the bench, it's somewhat suspect. Best thing? Freshmen become sophomores. And I've said it before, Reddic seems to have regressed, not improved.

It was an entertaining game to say the least but the 18 blown layups further emphasizes why Smart needs to play the way he does, he does need more possessions to make up for the lack of skills out there. You shot 39% overall, 28% from three, and 45% from the line. Clunk=, clunk and more clunk. Brandenburg, Graham and Johnson were a combined 6-of-22 from three.

I will say the Mullins Center was electric and some of those black-clad dance team members had talent. I look forward to avoiding both teams until Selection Sunday. You will likely win out and end at 12 and 4. Everyone else must also do so (except St. Joe's who has a loss to give). St. Joe's has tough games at the Bonnies and at GeeDubya. Umass has to go to Dayton and play us. GeeDubya has us and hosts St. Joe's. And Richmond is so depleted and has about the toughest road left so I don't think they'll stay in this equation for long. I think in the tied at 12 and 4 category, you guys would lose second to Umass, which is fine by me if you and they have to meet in the semis.

Perhaps VCU would win more games if they had anything resembling a coherent offensive strategy instead of

chucking 3 after 3

???

Profit

VCU has an offensive strategy, problem is they aren't* executing. The Rams missed 18 "layups" last night and shot 45.5% from the free throw stripe. Those...are...killers. Good news is they still had a chance to tie the game with 10 seconds to play in front of yet another sellout road crowd.

Look, I understand there are some fans on here who's job it is to talk crap to every opposing fan, but for those of you who are interested, in VCU's struggles, check the schedules. Here are how teams have faired against the top 7 teams in the league and I have included all losses as well.

VCU

Losses

@ GW by 10

@SJU 7

@ SLU 2

@ UMass 5

Good Wins

@ Dayton 14

v UofR 11

v GW 17

SJU

Losses

@UofR 15

v SLU 6

@umass 4

Good Wins

@Dayton 3

v UMass 5

v VCU 7

UMass

Losses

@UofR 3

@BON 13

@SJU 5

v Mason 11

Good Wins

v SJU 4

@ GW 6

v VCU 5

UofR

Losses

@SLU 20

@ VCU 11

v GW 8

@BON 14

Good Wins

v Dayton 9

v UMass 3

v SJU 15

Dayton

Losses

v SLU 8

@UofR 9

v VCU 14

@URI 12

v SJU 3

Good Wins

v GW 10

SLU

Losses

none

Good Wins

@ Dayton 8

v UofR 20

@ SJU 6

v VCU 2

Tough to win on the road in the A-10, and your chances of winning are greatly increased with a favorable schedule. VCU has been in every road game they've been in, they've just had the toughest schedule so far. Sure, you have to win those games, but the conference tournament won't be played on any teams home court, so I'm encouraged by the Rams having had a chance to probably win all but that GW game. (Side note: all of VCU's road losses have been in front of sellout crowds...which other team in the conference has had to deal with that?).

In VCU's defense, Lalanne, Carter, Esho and Putney stand pretty tall along the backline and do tend to intimidate the guys taking the shots, layups or not. Do not dismiss that ---- the usual suspects at Dayton blamed their poor shooting as why they lost to us so badly in January. Without ever taking into account what our defense did to them at all. One goes with the other.

I thought the first half was hilarious. Each team had 50+ possessions in that half. VCU led 39 to 34 so there was a whole lot of missing on both sides. It reminded me of the style used in a 75 to 69 indoor arena football game. I was waiting for Umass to crack .... they only really play 6 guys with Esho not getting much more than 10 per behind Davis. Davis burned you guys down the stretch too. Esho is limited to dunking. Esho is their Grandy Glaze--- energy man.

I know Jordan Burgess was supposedly your best guy LAST year while redshirting but call me unimpressed with that four-star recruit so far. I'm sure he'll only improve but right now, nothing. I guess the plan is to use Johnson more as a microwave off the bench but despite those four-stars on the bench, it's somewhat suspect. Best thing? Freshmen become sophomores. And I've said it before, Reddic seems to have regressed, not improved.

It was an entertaining game to say the least but the 18 blown layups further emphasizes why Smart needs to play the way he does, he does need more possessions to make up for the lack of skills out there. You shot 39% overall, 28% from three, and 45% from the line. Clunk=, clunk and more clunk. Brandenburg, Graham and Johnson were a combined 6-of-22 from three.

I will say the Mullins Center was electric and some of those black-clad dance team members had talent. I look forward to avoiding both teams until Selection Sunday. You will likely win out and end at 12 and 4. Everyone else must also do so (except St. Joe's who has a loss to give). St. Joe's has tough games at the Bonnies and at GeeDubya. Umass has to go to Dayton and play us. GeeDubya has us and hosts St. Joe's. And Richmond is so depleted and has about the toughest road left so I don't think they'll stay in this equation for long. I think in the tied at 12 and 4 category, you guys would lose second to Umass, which is fine by me if you and they have to meet in the semis.

Yes, I think we can all agree that Burgess needs to leave the starting lineup. He's there for D. His O is not ready yet. His minutes should be lowered in favor of Melvin until he's ready. We need the scorer on the floor, there's plenty of defense to go around. I think we can run the table. The OC schedule was about the most brutal of everyone in the league and key games on the road. We didn't even get a H&H against SJ's or UMASS. There was a reason for that. Bernadette wanted 5 teams in and she will likely get it. Remember the Temple game where we were up by 20 in the first half last year, then megafouls for the remainder of the game and a foul shooting differential of over 20. We all knew that that game was to get Temple in. i wasn't a bit upset about that loss. Even Graham had a poor game (by his standards last night) last night, but he pretty much had to do it all. We have to get that 1st round bye. You guys win big tonight. PLEASE! We need GW taken down to 4. Anyone with a 1st round bye can win the A10 tourney.

Above posters talk smack on VCU. I can guarantee no one wants VCU until the final.

I'll give the vcu fans credit, they continue to act like no one wants to play them. Blah blah blah excuse excuse excuse no one wants to play us!!!!

We all can't wait to play you again.It's a no lose situation for both teams and a huge bonus for us if we win the game. Think Butler last year. I make no excuses for anything other than the scheduling which was done by Bernadatte to get 5 in again this year. It looks right now like we got the 5 and potentially a 6th in. The A10 is no joke.

I'll give the vcu fans credit, they continue to act like no one wants to play them. Blah blah blah excuse excuse excuse no one wants to play us!!!!

Bravo. Looking forward to wins #4 and, if they can avoid their 6th or 7th conference loss to meet us in the A-10 final, #5 vs. Gimmick. Don't worry though, we still won't want to play them.. Lot of big recruits coming in next seas.

SLU won at St Joes by 16, not six...and the last 2 possessions of the game were an intentional shot clock violation by SLU and an uncontested layup by St Joes

I think that was the most ticked off many were in a win was when we sat on the ball and Chris Wilson takes a layup.

VCU has an offensive strategy, problem is they aren't* executing. The Rams missed 18 "layups" last night and shot 45.5% from the free throw stripe. Those...are...killers. Good news is they still had a chance to tie the game with 10 seconds to play in front of yet another sellout road crowd.

Look, I understand there are some fans on here who's job it is to talk crap to every opposing fan, but for those of you who are interested, in VCU's struggles, check the schedules. Here are how teams have faired against the top 7 teams in the league and I have included all losses as well.

VCU

Losses

@ GW by 10

@SJU 7

@ SLU 2

@ UMass 5

Good Wins

@ Dayton 14

v UofR 11

v GW 17

SJU

Losses

@UofR 15

v SLU 6

@umass 4

Good Wins

@Dayton 3

v UMass 5

v VCU 7

UMass

Losses

@UofR 3

@BON 13

@SJU 5

v Mason 11

Good Wins

v SJU 4

@ GW 6

v VCU 5

UofR

Losses

@SLU 20

@ VCU 11

v GW 8

@BON 14

Good Wins

v Dayton 9

v UMass 3

v SJU 15

Dayton

Losses

v SLU 8

@UofR 9

v VCU 14

@URI 12

v SJU 3

Good Wins

v GW 10

SLU

Losses

none

Good Wins

@ Dayton 8

v UofR 20

@ SJU 6

v VCU 2

Tough to win on the road in the A-10, and your chances of winning are greatly increased with a favorable schedule. VCU has been in every road game they've been in, they've just had the toughest schedule so far. Sure, you have to win those games, but the conference tournament won't be played on any teams home court, so I'm encouraged by the Rams having had a chance to probably win all but that GW game. (Side note: all of VCU's road losses have been in front of sellout crowds...which other team in the conference has had to deal with that?).

Seriously, VCU fans are becoming worse than Dayton fans. Dayton fans used to always whine about how the conference schedule was why they were not finishing in the top of the league.

Then Dayton fans would tell about great things they did in the past, how they were predicted to do, about the great non con win they had, how great Gregory was, how great their fans are, how great their band is, how tough it is to win at their place, etc. It is scary what these two programs have in common.

Seriously, VCU fans are becoming worse than Dayton fans. Dayton fans used to always whine about how the conference schedule was why they were not finishing in the top of the league.

Then Dayton fans would tell about great things they did in the past, how they were predicted to do, about the great non con win they had, how great Gregory was, how great their fans are, how great their band is, how tough it is to win at their place, etc. It is scary what these two programs have in common.

Seriously, you're comparing Dayton to VCU? :lol:

Lol. I get such a kick out of all this. Mudkat, thanks for having thick enough skin to keep coming along... At what point do you just admit, you've become a bigger bills fan because we're that awesome?

Billiboarders, ill be there tonight ( thanks again to larry) to watch more of our clinics :)

Yes, I think we can all agree that Burgess needs to leave the starting lineup. He's there for D. His O is not ready yet. His minutes should be lowered in favor of Melvin until he's ready. We need the scorer on the floor, there's plenty of defense to go around. I think we can run the table. The OC schedule was about the most brutal of everyone in the league and key games on the road. We didn't even get a H&H against SJ's or UMASS. There was a reason for that. Bernadette wanted 5 teams in and she will likely get it. Remember the Temple game where we were up by 20 in the first half last year, then megafouls for the remainder of the game and a foul shooting differential of over 20. We all knew that that game was to get Temple in. i wasn't a bit upset about that loss. Even Graham had a poor game (by his standards last night) last night, but he pretty much had to do it all. We have to get that 1st round bye. You guys win big tonight. PLEASE! We need GW taken down to 4. Anyone with a 1st round bye can win the A10 tourney.

Above posters talk smack on VCU. I can guarantee no one wants VCU until the final.

Actually I'd rather see VCU than GMU. Better shot at a better win and we seem to have an easier time with VCU.

Blaming the refs for being incompetent is one thing. Blaming them for throwing a game is really pathetic.