Big East

davidnark

I have no idea who Frank the Tank is, hut he wrote this:

http://frankthetank.me/tag/espn/

To me, Big East expansion to 12 schools is inevitable and ought to have happened already. The fact that Xavier AD Greg Christopher mentioned St. Louis, Dayton, Richmond and VCU as the prime candidates isnt any surprise. SLU seems to be a lock its a perfect institutional fit in a large market (by college sports standards) with a competent on-the-court basketball team. As Ive stated previously, its really a matter of who comes along with SLU. I dont see the Big East being interested in creating a nationwide conference with schools like Gonzaga and BYU thats an interesting fantasy for those purely focused on the basketball product, but its a non-starter for all of the other sports. So, Dayton, Richmond and VCU are really the well-worn other candidates, with the Big Easts consternation on each of them being that they have major flaws from the conferences perspective (Dayton is in a smaller Midwestern market, Richmond has a small alumni base, and VCU would be the lone public school in a league of private institutions). Its also difficult to see many other schools outside of that group that could have both a Butler-like ascent and the institutional and market profiles that the Big East is looking for. The only ones that come to mind are Davidson (which has a small size like Richmond but has had more recent on-the-court success and is located in a college hoops hotbed) and Duquesne (great institutional and market fit, yet they have zero on-the-court credentials).

If I were running the Big East, I certainly wouldnt see Davidson or Duquesne as panaceas that are worth holding off expansion for. University presidents have proven to be a strange bunch in conference realignment decisions, though. To me, SLU is a lock to get into the Big East when it expands (and I say when because I just dont see Fox being satisfied with the level of inventory and market coverage that the 10-team setup offers in the long-term), with Dayton as a slight front-runner for the 12th spot. Now, VCU might end up being too much to ignore if they have another Final Four run and, maybe more importantly, keep having fans showing up in droves in Brooklyn for the Atlantic 10 Tournament (as the Big East needs to maintain ticket buyers for its own tournament at Madison Square Garden). The public school profile is definitely a major problem for VCUs candidacy, though. That factor cant be underestimated with the Big East presidents.

Now if they'll just get off their presidential butts and expand in late April. I think Fox will push for either VCU or Richmond. Too much overlap w/ Cincy market. X might block 'me too. Or I could see the Zags for BB only. Stretch but these days in conference realignment any things possible.