Alex Tyus

There is a story on Rivals.com about Hazelwood Central junior-to-be Alex Tyus.

The 6-foot-7 small forward did not mention St. Louis University as one of the schools pursuing him. He already has a "top four" schools he really likes.

“I am getting mail from a lot of people,†Tyus said. “Some of the ones I remember are Mississippi State, Florida, North Carolina, UCLA, Arizona, Tennessee, Missouri, Kansas, and Illinois.â€

“Right now my top four are UCLA, Florida, North Carolina, and Arizona.â€

- Nate

that's disappointing. imo, while i think alex has a lot of potential based on his size and age, he is not at the "elite" level he is thinking. when i think of a sophomore wing forward that is worthy of that kind of attention he better be darius miles like. alex tyus is not darius miles when mile was a sophomore.

now would i take tyus at slu? in a fricken second. my point is that someone is pumping this kid's head full of b.s. he might turn into that kind of player, but i sure havent seen that level yet.

sending materials and actually crediably being considered a future gator (for example) are two different things. i am sure brad and all other coaches send a lot of high school sophomores letters and materials. the question is "would arizona, ucla, illinois or florida" offer him a scholarship right now?" i doubt it.

my guess though is that alex's advisors are telling him how good he is and that he needs to go to these type programs.

again, i believe tyus has the potential to turn into that type of a player, but i dont think he is that good yet and i seriously doubt he has heard more than a format letter or greeting at this time.

Tyus's comments re his top four schools reminds me of the 6-7 forward,(name escapes me) at Parkway Central or Parkway North about three years ago who stated in the Spring of his junior year that his top three were Purdue, Missouri and Illinois. Last I saw the kid was playing at Moberly.

Tyus is certainly a more skilled player than the Parkway kid mentioned above. However, his playing with Kalen Grimes has got Tyus some notice that he may not have received if he stayed at MICD. Tyus may go high major, but I'm not sure it will be to one of his current top four. Big difference between recruiting literature and a scholarship offer.

Someone close to Tyus told me he already has several scholarship offers. I don't know if it is true.

I don't think this is a situation where the kid has unrealistic expectations. At least not right now, anyway. He is a legitimate prospect, but a lot can happen between now and signing day.

The thing to watch with Tyus is whether or not he follows in the paths of Kalen Grimes and Aaron Jackson. Those two earned big reputations early -- obviously Kalen more so than Aaron -- and never really backed it up. Both still have a chance to be good at the next level, but they didn't accomplish nearly as much as people thought they would.

If Tyus can step up his game next season, his junior year, when he won't have Grimes and Jackson as the go-to players, then the kid will be a big-time prospect.

- Nate

Isn't Jesse the Ghost Leonard's kid also a Soph wing player? If so, I'd bet money that we have a lot of eggs in that basket already. Question to those who have seen both players...who has the potential larger upside?

I've seen both and if you asked me this question in season I'd say Tyus no contest because Leonard was about 6'4 170 and Tyus was 6'7 190, but im not sure now. The way I have seen Leonard play lately at the Gateway tournament he looked pretty impressive. Also i heard he got all tournament at the Jayhawk Invitational. Although Tyus has been hurt this summer i cant wait to see him play. You can catch them both this weekend at the eagles class. visit www.stleagles.com. Leonard is now 6'6 prob 185-190 Tyus is 6'7 prob 200-210. I personally think they are different players. I think Tyus is a better jumper/athlete but Leonard a better defender/dribbler. If possible I would love to have them both for the class of 2006. They are both Imo high major prospects.

Alex Tyus has more upside than Jarod Leonard but both have a lot of potential.

Both will be good prospects. Tyus is taller and more athletic. Leonard has good size -- I don't know about this 6-foot-6 stuff, but he is tall enough to play the 2 in college -- and is a better shooter.

My guess is Tyus goes away and Leonard stays home to play for St. Louis U. (if the Bills want him). I think that scenario would work out fine for both kids.

- Nate

schasz asked who appears to have the most upside. and at this point, i say tyus does.

but that said, as i have stated in this string above, i dont think tyus has done anything yet or showed enough yet to be getting substantially bigtime offers or even anything much better than jessie.

What number was Jessie? I think it would be neat if Jarod developed into a solid D-1 prospect, came to SLU, and got to wear his daddy's number. Does anyone think this kid can develop into a really good player or just a role player on the college level? I know it's kinda hard to tell since he's only a soph, but it's fun to play "Nostra Domas" sometimes.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

I saw Leonard and Tyus each play a couple times last season. Right now, Tyus is the better player. It will be very interesting to see how they both do as juniors when they become the star of the team, as Mike Kalicak and David Ward graduated from DeSmet and Kalen Grimes and Aaron Jackson graduated from Hazelwood Central.

Since I read here that SLU was interested in Jared, I would watch his play closely when I went to DeSmet games this past season. I am very excited to see how he progresses over the next two years, as he is silky smooth out on the court and very talented. He also showed an intensity that I haven't seen in DeSmet basketball players since I graduated 2 years ago.

Overall, I think that Tyus probably does have the skills, assuming they continue to develop, to play at one of the schools he is listing. I also would be very happy to see Jared Leonard in a Billiken uniform in two years.

I am one of the old Billiken fans that did get to see Jesse The Ghost Leonard play for SLU. I cannot remember his number but I really liked his play at SLU and I think it would be great if Jarod followed in his Dad's foot steps. He sounds like a good kid and frankly it sounds like the Tyus kid wants to go away to school and if that is the case there is no reason to have our coaching staff wasting time on him.

The SLU coaching staff will be able to get a good look at them against the top 100 players in the nation June 16-19 at the Nike Hoop Jamboree. This camp is held at St. Louis U and is open to college coaches. Im sure Brad and his staff will be on hand and observing closely.

Right now, Leonard reminds me a lot of Steve Woodberry. He's 6'5 and tips the scales at about 180 lb right now. Intense defender, decent jumper, slashes well. Desmet lost a lot of talent last year so Jarod is going to be called on to do a lot. He should have a big year statistically.