The Big Picture

ACE

A lot has happened since the end of last season and much of it not good (RM, the injury to KM and the departure of Carter) so I get why a lot of people are a bit negative about the state of the program.But let's keep an eye on the big picture... Crews is not RM, but few are, so I am not sure what people were expecting from an interim/replacement coach. The pool of assistants to draw from in the past would have been a hell of a lot worse. Looking at RM's assistants - would Moser, or Jensen been much better? Without KM playing I doubt it. Going back further - Anthony Beane? Angres Thorpe? Didn't Sodie have some guy named Grunkermeyer? And who did Spoon ever have that you could have turned the program over to? A couple of guys who I think became high school coaches? A very young Jay Spoonhour? Outside of Randy Bennett, we haven't exactly had a lot of assistants who have gone on to become head coaches. A case could be made that Jim Crews is the most accomplished assistants we have had.

With the loss of RM and KM there figured to be one game that we were supposed to win that we would lose. I thought it might be Valpo or North Texas, but it turned out to be Santa Clara. It was one game. It is time to get over it.Look around college basketball, a lot of upsets happen early. There is time to recover. The losses at Washington and Kansas didn't surprise me, so we're really just one game behind where we could/should be. Everybody will feel a lot better if we beat New Mexico. It will be a tough game, but I think we will be slight favorites. We should win, we must win.

There is a lot to look forward to. The return of a healthy KM will make Crews look smarter and will make everybody else on the team a little better, that's what an excellent point guard can do. While the loss of Carter was kick to the junk as far as the future, I don't think it will have much impact for this season. Jake Barnett is turning into a quality 8/9th man, so we will be fine without Carter when KM returns.

While it is hard work being a Billiken fan, it is still an exciting time to be a Billiken fan. I thank RM for leaving us some outstanding players to watch - JJ, MM, CE and KM. I have enjoyed watching the development of CR and JM. We still have an opportunity to make the Big Dance for the second consecutive season. How often has that happened in program history? Once in the Spoonball era? Let's make the Dance, get in the Big East and land a quality coach after the season. Doc Chaifetz was in the house Saturday so that was a great sign. There is a lot to look forward to. It will be especially sweet if the program can make the Dance after overcoming so much advesity. I am looking forward to seeing it all play out.

Merry Christmas b!tches... it's time to enjoy some more eggnog!

A lot has happened since the end of last season and much of it not good (RM, the injury to KM and the departure of Carter) so I get why a lot of people are a bit negative about the state of the program.But let's keep an eye on the big picture... Crews is not RM, but few are, so I am not sure what people were expecting from an interim/replacement coach. The pool of assistants to draw from in the past would have been a hell of a lot worse. Looking at RM's assistants - would Moser, or Jensen been much better? Without KM playing I doubt it. Going back further - Anthony Beane? Angres Thorpe? Didn't Sodie have some guy named Grunkermeyer? And who did Spoon ever have that you could have turned the program over to? A couple of guys who I think became high school coaches? A very young Jay Spoonhour? Outside of Randy Bennett, we haven't exactly had a lot of assistants who have gone on to become head coaches. A case could be made that Jim Crews is the most accomplished assistants we have had.

With the loss of RM and KM there figured to be one game that we were supposed to win that we would lose. I thought it might be Valpo or North Texas, but it turned out to be Santa Clara. It was one game. It is time to get over it.Look around college basketball, a lot of upsets happen early. There is time to recover. The losses at Washington and Kansas didn't surprise me, so we're really just one game behind where we could/should be. Everybody will feel a lot better if we beat New Mexico. It will be a tough game, but I think we will be slight favorites. We should win, we must win.

There is a lot to look forward to. The return of a healthy KM will make Crews look smarter and will make everybody else on the team a little better, that's what an excellent point guard can do. While the loss of Carter was kick to the junk as far as the future, I don't think it will have much impact for this season. Jake Barnett is turning into a quality 8/9th man, so we will be fine without Carter when KM returns.

While it is hard work being a Billiken fan, it is still an exciting time to be a Billiken fan. I thank RM for leaving us some outstanding players to watch - JJ, MM, CE and KM. I have enjoyed watching the development of CR and JM. We still have an opportunity to make the Big Dance for the second consecutive season. How often has that happened in program history? Once in the Spoonball era? Let's make the Dance, get in the Big East and land a quality coach after the season. Doc Chaifetz was in the house Saturday so that was a great sign. There is a lot to look forward to. It will be especially sweet if the program can make the Dance after overcoming so much advesity. I am looking forward to seeing it all play out.

Merry Christmas to all of our SLU family! Very nice post! It gives those of us who are glass is half full fans who bleed blue a nice warm feeling! Thanks

Merry Christmas to all of our SLU family! Very nice post! It gives those of us who are glass is half full fans who bleed blue a nice warm feeling! Thanks

Feliz Navidad from Sunny South Florida, I have always been a passionate fan, and I like the way the team has played on the start of the extended home stand. Heck, I looked the other day and Santa Clara was 10-2 so maybe they are a lot better team than everyone thought at the start of the season.

2013 will hopefully bring a back to back NCAA Tourney bid but lots of work and wins before we receive it. We will also see an important decision made by the SLU hierarchy on a HC who will hopefully bring in a couple key recruits who can help next years team.

Finally, it will be interesting to see where this conference realignment stuff goes. I sure hope we can land a spot with the BE7 teams. Time will tell as there is so much speculation that one could go crazy trying to figure out if anyone really knows how this will finally shake out. Have a safe and joyfull holiday everyone and Let's Go Bills!!!

And Dwayne Evans, possibly the most outstanding player to watch (YMMV).

Nice post - my thoughts exactly!

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Agree for the most part and it is comforting as it relates to this year, but looking at this at a higher level, we are at a critical fork in the road; SO MUCH rests with the B7 opportunity.

If we get in now, it is huge, a clear upgrade, and we have the dynamics that should attract a top quality coach for next year and recruit much higher quality players to pave the way for a good future.

If we do not (and Xavier-Butler-Dayton go to B7 with Temple leaving the A-10, too), we will be in a very difficult position. Scrambling.

This is the #1 issue, bar none, at this point in the program.

The guy who posted that it is a wise man. ;) I think it is the same guy who said that Remekun was going to be starting this year and would do a fine job. Can't wait for the revenge tour to continue beginning with the conference opener agains UMass. We need to give that little point guard from UMass payback. He made us look bad last year.

• 2 months later...

Remember how a lot of folks were worried about our team early in the season? Well on Christmas eve a wise man told us not to panic and to keep our eye on the "big picture." I would say things have turned it pretty well since then. What a journey it has been so far.

Now, more panic is starting to creep in the aftermath of the Big East announcement. I must admit that I am a little more uneasy about the possibility of the Big East than I was about the prospects of our fine team back in December. I am hopeful that things will go well with the Big East. Hopefully guys like kshoe and nark are the voices of reason who have a good read on the "big picture." Let's make sure to live in the present and enjoy this moment. Back-to-back NCAA Tourney appearances have been very rare in our history. Tomorrow is a big day. Let the madness begin.