Shaun Heading To The NBA...

all that travel on the pentagon dime and you cant convince them you need to visit scott afb? tell them you have to have dinner with billiken roy, that should do it.

If I'm in your neck of the woods on bizzness (my spelling tribute to '72), then you've got chemical weapons and other problems. I think it a good thing I don't get there much, eh?????

What about Philly? Time to send the broy on a broll? You should see the picture from Cincy!!!!! I need the names of the Billiken Dance Squad pronto! Cindy is livid .... can't seem to trust those boys out on the road. Must be why the lovely Anita keeps you close to the apron .... she'd be out of bail money if she left you unattended with us! By the way, is Mr. Naticat Mrs. Naticat yet????? We should stop wasting folks time here ....

[email protected]

I'll take your word three-star, its always been good in the past, but this from today's Jon Saracaeno commentary in USA Today .....

"Still, Telfair has what all NBA teams covewt to psuh the ball past midcourt range -- skilled ballhandling capabilities. If his outside shooting is suspect -- and it is -- or he lacks sound court judgment at times, so be it."

He says further that "Telfair is small by today's standards (5'10") and not particularly strong at 160 pounds. He will be a mosquito buzzing among elephants."

But the final pulled quote here is what bugs me most, "Any team drafting Telfair should see gains in ticket and merchandising revenue. Telfair has what marketers covet: 'Street cred' based, to large degree, on legitimacy form his New York City basketball pedigree> (Then again so did Felipe Lopez but that's another story.)"

So, to me, this is all about marketing and making the almight buck ... not only Telfair and his people but the NBA reject team that drafts him to sell jerseys. I disagree with Saraceno on his point that folks from Philly to Portland will line up to see this kid because I'm not sold on his rep stretching outside NY. And if its stree cred, how many street folks you know that can affort more than one NBA ducat a year? At the current prices????

Nuck the FBA.

prob wont have to go till early winter now. business is booming yet and we have a sales meeting scheduled in fall for florida, so i doubt i will have to stagger to philly till maybe november or december.

just tell someone you heard something bad about scott and you better go check it out. that should play.

If Duke wanted to have a 1 and 1 for Shaun, they would do it with Bradley, which is in Peoria. Bradley's recent coaching hire, Jim Les, is recruiting Peoria well and has three players from Central, which is Shaun's alma. Eddie Ruffin is the starting PG for Bradley and is a real good friend of Shaun's. Bradley also has Somerville, the WF we really wanted three years ago. Alford got him at Iowa and did a clusterf--- with him.

Three other programs that would make more sense for a 1 and 1 with Duke in this scenario would be Illinois, then DePaul, then Indiana as far as travel, economics, and desirability. Part of the scheduling game is trying to get your team to have a game in areas where you are recruiting major h.s. ballers, and face time on ESPN in a major market.

The second game(the away game for Duke, in most crystal ball situations,) would be moot, as Shaun is at best a one and done college player. This would allow Shaun to be drafted this year, not sign a shoe contract or hire an agent, play for a year at Duke, and then sign with the team which drafted him, if he likes that team. This would give Shaun a leg up on his second, non-capped contract in the NBA, and save his team 2.2 million in development pay while Shaun sits the bench his first year. Such would be a win-win for both parties involved.

Duke is not concerned at all about their SOS at this juncture. The potential game also hit the radar screen well before Duke had an inkling Shaun was not heading to Champaign, and word on the Peoria street is Illinois AD Ron Guenthar has heartburn over Duke scheduling SLU rather than Illinois.

>....This would allow Shaun to be drafted

>this year, not sign a shoe contract or hire an agent, play

>for a year at Duke, and then sign with the team which

>drafted him, if he likes that team. This would give Shaun a

>leg up on his second, non-capped contract in the NBA, and

>save his team 2.2 million in development pay while Shaun

>sits the bench his first year. Such would be a win-win for

>both parties involved.

Unless the rule has changed, high school players cannot declare for the NBA draft and retain any college eligibility. If they declare for the draft out of high school, they can never play Div. I ball.

Butch, the advantage Illinois, DePaul, and Indiana have over SLU are threefold. First and foremost, if Duke is scheduling a home and away just for Shaun so he can play in front of family and friends, you get it done as close to Peoria as possible. Since noone is impressed with Bradley at this point, I threw out the three major college programs closest to Peoria. Advantage number one...

All three programs will sell out their respective arenas, no questions asked. There will be more money to divey up, and guaranteed the game would be a prime ESPN showing. Advantage number two...

There are prime recruits in these three areas that are solid three or four stars as high school freshman or sophomores, so the Duke program would be playing in front of future recruits. Advantage number three...

Keep in mind, this is a series scheduled on the pretext to get Shaun playing near Peoria. I am not arguing that a series should not be scheduled with SLU, I'm just saying if they do it for Shaun, then SLU is NOT the best, or even the second, third, or fourth best option. The number of people who would drive to St. Louis to see Shaun play would be pitifully small compared to these others.

Thicks, as long as Shaun signs no contracts for money, and does not hire a professional agent, he can play college hoops at any level, for one year, or all four years. The only legal aspect of being drafted coming out of high school entails with no contracts attached, is that your contract rights stay with the team which drafted you until a week or so prior to the next year's draft.

If Shaun signs no contracts, gets drafted, and does not sign with the drafting team prior to the end period, he becomes eligible to be drafted again. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

i believe they have one opportunity now to go through the declaration process and camps and such as long as no one pays any expenses for them and no agent is hired. the recruit also may be suspended appropriate number of games for playing in the camp games. they can then withdraw or not. i just read the below article describing a wild scenario whereby livingston could actually be drafted, not sign, play a year at duke and then sign before the next draft.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2376766

i have heard rusty lisch say that daniel ruffin is the only player kevin has ever guarded that he just couldnt contain because he was too fast. i was actually shocked that he didnt go to a higher profile school last year.

btw, ruffin is the step brother of former indiana great aj guyton i believe.

Again, Duke has the luxury of playing anyone they want to play, and all 4 programs are worth playing, but the last time I checked a map, Peoria was equidistant from St. Louis and Chicago and a hell of a lot further from Bloomington than St. Louis.

Also I see no reason to believe that DePaul is going to get more people in the stands than SLU. If DePaul is going to sell out, the SLU is going to come close to selling out. SLU coming close to a sell out means 2-3000 more people watching the game in St. Louis than can watch it in Bloomington or Champaign.

This whole discussion is masking the original piece on how we got Duke to schedule us (and if it really is a 1 and 1). Maybe they want exposure in St. Louis. I think they have recently played in Chicago, so they might not feel the need to do it again. Maybe it is for Shaun, a way to intice him to go the college route.

i will be shocked if duke plays us a straight up 1 for 1. it is my guess we are either going to be a "buy" opponent for them at cameron, or at best, we go play 2 games at duke and then they give us a game as part of a wild double header or something at the dome. anything better than that would be an overachievement by our athletic department in scheduling imo.

the problem is that looking at the scenario honestly, what is in it for duke? the networks and espn are so far up their .... anyway, i just dont believe a straight deal can happen. especially considering the fact arizona just barely got out of town last year, missouri has had close calls, the illini lost to to the bills, kansas has gotten beat. it isnt the most attactive road game for the big boys.

He is a competitive guy.

OK probably not. I don't think it is a 1 and 1 either. They are not going to schedule a team out of the Top 20 on the road that might actually beat them. Perhaps optimistially, I think if we get them here we have a 1 in 4 chance of winning. Duke gets no return for that kind of risk.

his lottery status. However, he had a lot of growing up to do in order to reach his current status. Sometimes it takes a young player longer to develop. As for Livingston, the danger is that the NBA team that drafts him won't see the fruits of their labor before he leaves for free agency riches. Look at McGrady and Jermaine O'Neal.