LISCH COMMITS!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok - i am a democratic sort

lets vote - here are some possibilities for my new avatar...

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:5Uwz...john-kerry.jpeg

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sprack/teeshirt.jpg

http://www.hoover.archives.gov/exhibits/Ho...OY%20ROGERS.jpg

EDIT - hold on - trying to figure out the HTML here...got it...

will also accept nominations for new avatar.

Enough of that. Back to Lisch. I just gotta express my excitement for the upcoming years. Congrats to Soderberg and to Kevin for making a smart decision. Obviously, after making trips to other schools, he was able to notice the many benefits to play basketball at SLU. He will be greatly rewarded by many, many current, future, and otherwise bandwagon fans.

As another Billiken & BlueJay fan on this board, it would be best to lose the picture of B-Roy. Your rivalry with B-Roy makes interesting reading for about 2 posts and then degenerates quickly, kind of like cheesycow & B-Roy. Oh well, argue if you must, but I agree with B Rich it would be best to lose the picture.

Billiken Rich, I am not sure yet how Creighton will be next year. A lot might depend on the two JUCOs & two high school players coming in(and maybe 1 or 2 more yet to come). Which is scary depending on new players, but Dana has had success giving new players important roles in the past. There is still some good talent on hand, but I am not sure it stacks up with what SMS, SIU or WSU have. I always like my chances with Dana as the coach and I also think next years team will be a little more hungry. Last years team seemed to flatten out, especially the 4 fifth year seniors, I doubt we see that again next year. It should be a very good year for the MVC, I think there is probably more talent now than there has been in a long time. Also rumor is St Joes is on the schedule and we will get a home game from bracket buster opponet Kent State and add in the Nebraska game, the schedule should be a lot better than last years.

I remember seeing an expose on 20/20 or something about CU's best player it was a few years back. He was a huge recruit in the 70s but the guy couldn't even read. It was a big scandal for the University as it was eventually found out that the school gave him a lot of extra help. He now works as a janitor. I don't know his name but CUJay might. Was the school exonerated for that?

http://www.cato.org/dailys/11-23-02.html from that article

"Former college basketball player Kevin Ross settled out of court with Creighton University in 1992 for $30,000, charging it with educational malpractice, negligent admission, and emotional distress. He earned 96 credits while taking courses such as "Marksmanship," "Theory of Basketball," "Theory of Track and Field," and "Squad Participation." After leaving Creighton, Ross went back to school--to elementary school. Ross, who stands 6' 9", was learning how to read along with 2nd and 3rd graders at a Marva Collins private elementary school in Chicago"

From Outside the Lines http://sports.espn.go.com/page2/tvlistings...transcript.html

LEY - Kevin Ross made national headlines when he completed four years of college and was found to be illiterate.

LISA SALTERS - Did they know you couldn't read?

ROSS - They had to. They had to know. I fulfilled my contract by playing for them so they should have fulfilled their contract by educating me

ROSS - See, my test papers, when I go in, they would be turned over on the desk and the teacher would say - well, Kevin, that's your desk. And I'll go there and it's already done and all I had to do was fill my name -- put my name where they say your name and he said -- don't rush, be cool; just think about basketball, think about the big game this weekend.

Was he the best player CU had?

ok - fair enough - i will address this.

kevin ross one of the best players - he didn't play - at all hardly - so no.

now - why this story keeps getting recycled is a little beyond me - this occured 20 some years ago - and while a "sensationalized" story that the media loves - has only really been reported one sidedly.

this story is a HUGE disgrace to mr ross, CU, and the KC educational system (which always seems to get a free pass here). mr ross has never accepted any responsibility for what happened. he also never put forth any effort - or accepted any of the help that was thrown his way while he was at creighton. the fact that the lawsuit was settled for 30k (which is tantamount to mr ross receiving the 4 year value of his scholarship money back) is quite telling.

that said - it is/was very embarrassing for creighton and never should have occured.

just about every school has student athletes who have represnted it with class and high integrity - and also its share of players that school officials probably wish had never attended - SLU is no different.

bluejayboy said, "Former sponsor of some guy no longer pictured to the left." and has changed his avator from my picture to one of ROY rogers.

you are an a$$ and still showing your obsession.

Can Jill get it done like Brad is, or do we turn to one of the assistants who people speak highly of, or do we look to get rid of the entire staff and start over? 8-19 is an unacceptable representation of the university.

college basketball even on the women's side, is all about guards. jill finished second in the steph lisch race and would have been the best player on the floor this year for the jillikens. she also suffered the loss of rachel diener a second season in a row with a serious knee injury. from all accounts, rachel is the best shooter on the team. instead she had to play two very inexperienced and small guards for most of the season. not making excuses for her, but her record is a mirror of the fact the jillikens didnt have the size and experience at the guard spots. since i dont follow the girls team much, i have no idea if they have recruited better for the guards for next year at all, but one would think that the two young guards that handled most of the duties at guard will begin to develop. i personally think javois has a lot of potential. at least athletically she does. she is very slight in build and i hope she is working hard at building herself up a little.

fyi, theresa lisch would be the best player on this team right now and she is only a sophomore in high school. and like i said yesterday, i would not doubt that alexandra blake could have competed against angie lewis right now as well and she is only a sophomore. my point is, jill needs to quit worrying about scouring arkansas and indiana for players and like brad concentrate on the locals.

you call your "bit" satire or sarcasm. i guess one could say my rebutals are the same. so maybe you should bid against me on e-bay.

I think it's because I respect Creighton and that I used to respect CUJaysfan that the CU vs Roy threads annoy the crap out of me. At least with MOOFAN both the person and the university have been utterly without class or integrity.

GROW THE HELL UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich ... I just noticed ... your Soccer quote is from the Columbia encyclopedia ... what the hell do those guys down there know about anything besides the distribution of illegal drugs. ;)

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

They do like their soccer there though! Remember the soccer coach who was either killed or couldn't go home because he'd be killed. I believe that story was from Columbia. In any case there you have it proof positive that soccer in America is an underperformer. You do beilieve everything you read in the encyclopedia don't you?

On a related note let's not get the whole basketball/soccer thing started again in a thread where I told someone else to grow up!

It was Roberto Escobar, a Columbian soccer player that scored an 'own goal' for the U.S. in the World Cup. (Knocked it in his own goal by accident while attempting to clear). He was shot outside a convenience store in Columbia when he returned.