SLU pushing for ranking in Top 50

Just thought I would share this with the group. This email was just sent out to the university. Should be interesting folks.

That did not work.... here is the letter...

September 24, 2012

TO: SLU Faculty, Staff and Students

FROM: Thomas H. Brouster, Sr. Chairman of the Board of Trustees

I write to communicate to the SLU Community that at its September 22, 2012, meeting, the Board of Trustees unanimously affirmed its approval of the University’s strategic planning efforts, its goal to rank the University among the top 50 universities in the United States, and the efforts necessary to achieve the goals of the Strategic Plan and to advance the excellence of the University.

The Board of Trustees also approved the appointment of a blue ribbon committee, made up of representatives of the academic deans, the academic department chairs, the faculty, the administration, the staff, and students, to identify and recommend processes and criteria to achieve the objectives of the Strategic Plan.

The Board of Trustees further affirmed its confidence in the University President and all of the University’s Vice Presidents to continue to lead the strategic planning process to its successful implementation.

In advancing the University’s efforts for excellence, the Board of Trustees further stated its support of the September 14, 2012, agreement of the Executive Committee of the Faculty Senate, the Academic Deans, the Vice Presidents and the President to proceed with meaningful and continuous faculty development within the context of a collaborative process and implementation in order to continue to advance the University.

On behalf of the University’s Trustees, thank you for your service and commitment to Saint Louis University.

This statement has little to do with country clubs or rebuke to Biondi. I think Biondi has had a lot to do with SLU's rise among Catholic universities. It's easy to criticize his arrogance and other irritating personality traits, but not to recognize his leadership in transforming this sleepy college into a real force is wrong. The trustees are making a statement for which they should be commended. I am proud of SLU. No one thought we could build a stadium or make the campus attractive, but it happened.

This statement has little to do with country clubs or rebuke to Biondi. I think Biondi has had a lot to do with SLU's rise among Catholic universities. It's easy to criticize his arrogance and other irritating personality traits, but not to recognize his leadership in transforming this sleepy college into a real force is wrong. The trustees are making a statement for which they should be commended. I am proud of SLU. No one thought we could build a stadium or make the campus attractive, but it happened.

Pretty campus, sports arena -- and downward-spiraling academic reputation, not to mention a huge ethical void.

When your law school dean, one of the most visible members of the administrative faculty, lets loose with the kinds of accusations that she did, the trustees have a moral (and probably a fiduciary) duty to address it, if by nothing else than saying that she was totally full of crap. (And if that's the case, they need to address the process that caused a national search to result in hiring a dean that was full of crap.)

And in general, "appointment of a blue-ribbon committee" = "we're too bloody cowardly and incompetent to address this issue ourselves, so we'll pawn it off onto a 'committee' that can shoulder any blame that results from further public relations disasters precipitated by our utter lack of oversight."

PS: Missouri Historical Society. Does no one see a pattern among St. Louis-area non-profit boards?

SLU's facilities have definitely risen among Catholic Universities but I am not sure we are any better off, academically, now than we were 25 years ago.

'59

And again, am glad SLU and Fr. Biondi got Chaifetz built --- finally!! Fr. Biondi became President in 1987, promised a Top 50 basketball program in 1992, signed a long-term lease on new Kiel Arena, then agreed to not build an on-campus arena in the mid-1990's as requested by Civic Progress... In return, SLU was to receive donations from the principals of Civic Progress - later - when it finally decided to build the arena. Turns out, the donations never came. Instead, Civic Progress disbanded after moving their corporate offices out of town, moving their companies (SWBell) to Texas, being bought out (all the bankers, the May Company, Anheuser Busch) and retiring. Great move Fr. Biondi!! In the meantime, for over 20 years of the Biondi reign, SLU athletes trained, practiced and received medical care in embarrassing, sub-par facilities which not only were inferior to each athlete's high school facilities but which undoubtedly turned off good recruits for years. The little engine that could. One lost year after another. And of course, Fr. Biondi continued the SLU tradition, just like grade school, where the women athletes (before, during halftime and after games) waited in the same bathroom lines and used the stalls as their mothers, grandmothers, sisters and friends. Only at West Pine Gym!!

Seriously. What line from the SLU Trustee's couldn't be made, and isn't made, by EVERY college board of trustees. If you are happy that SLU's Trustee's acknowledged that they are still alive and that proved that they still stationary left, then I share your joy.

Proof will rest in the pudding ---- I've seen too many of these saber-rattling efforts on way to many sides, both pro and con to the issue du jour. Standard operating procedures here. Let's see how this plays out, if at all.

This crusade is being waged from an undefinable place with an undefinable goal .....namely how do you determine what's Top 50 and what isn't? Is it a Top 50 rank in News and World Reports? Who are they to decide? If that's the case, why couldn't Bumphuque U. pay them off and achieve the rank they wanted? Seems like chasing an imaginary tail to pie in the sky definitions.

Pretty campus, sports arena -- and downward-spiraling academic reputation, not to mention a huge ethical void.

When your law school dean, one of the most visible members of the administrative faculty, lets loose with the kinds of accusations that she did, the trustees have a moral (and probably a fiduciary) duty to address it, if by nothing else than saying that she was totally full of crap. (And if that's the case, they need to address the process that caused a national search to result in hiring a dean that was full of crap.)

And in general, "appointment of a blue-ribbon committee" = "we're too bloody cowardly and incompetent to address this issue ourselves, so we'll pawn it off onto a 'committee' that can shoulder any blame that results from further public relations disasters precipitated by our utter lack of oversight."

PS: Missouri Historical Society. Does no one see a pattern among St. Louis-area non-profit boards?

-are you saying the law school is one of the most visible administrators or should be? just trying to understand, i am not a lawyer and the only reasons i have heard of dean clark was her hiring a year ago and her resignation and what went with that, so did i miss where she or her predecessors were visible? was visibility out there and i missed it? or is it just a lawyer thing?

I write to communicate to the SLU Community that at its September 22, 2012, meeting, the Board of Trustees unanimously affirmed its approval of the University’s strategic planning efforts, its goal to rank the University among the top 50 universities in the United States, and the efforts necessary to achieve the goals of the Strategic Plan and to advance the excellence of the University.

Top 50 universities according to whom? U.S. News and World Report?

-are you saying the law school is one of the most visible administrators or should be? just trying to understand, i am not a lawyer and the only reasons i have heard of dean clark was her hiring a year ago and her resignation and what went with that, so did i miss where she or her predecessors were visible? was visibility out there and i missed it? or is it just a lawyer thing?

Outside of the ivory tower, very few staff/administrators are visible to the everyday general public. Basketball coach, occasional scientist, "experts" in various fields.

But the various deans -- and especially the professional-school deans -- are well-known in their corresponding professional communities. And one of the important aspects of a "Top 50" school is a "Top 50" faculty, which quite arguably requires a "Top 50" caliber of deans and other important faculty.

Here's what the U. said when it hired Dean Clark. Especially given her prior role as a dean, it's hard to reconcile how she could have gone from this to being regarded by Biondi as a looney in less than a year.

Annette Clark Selected as Dean of School of Law

Posted Image Annette Clark, M.D., J.D.

Following a national search, Annette Clark, M.D., J.D., has been selected as the new dean for Saint Louis University School of Law, effective July 1, 2011. Clark brings an impressive list of credentials to the position and will help guide the law school through the changing landscape of legal education.

"Professor Clark truly understands the challenges and opportunities facing law schools today and has a clear vision for how our School of Law will thrive and grow well into the future," said Saint Louis University President Lawrence Biondi, S.J. "Having taught at a Jesuit law school, she also knows the critical role our mission plays in educating our students and serving our community."

Clark will join Saint Louis University School of Law from the Seattle University School of Law, where she's served on the faculty since 1989. Clark also served as the school's interim

dean from 2009-2010, after more than 10 years as associate dean and then vice dean, overseeing the academic program, including the curriculum and centers and institutes, as well as the faculty.

Clark has an M.D. with honors from the University of Washington School of Medicine and her J.D. summa ###### laude from Seattle University School of Law.

"The Saint Louis University School of Law's reputation among practicing attorneys, judges and other law schools is very strong. And with a nationally ranked health law program, a new center for legal advocacy, great breadth of faculty expertise, a vibrant student body and terrific alumni support, its future is very bright," said Clark. "Serving as the law school's dean is a great honor and privilege, and I look forward to getting started and meeting all of the wonderful students and alumni I've heard so much about."

Of her many awards, Clark was named the 2008-09 James B. McGoldrick, S.J., Fellow, which is awarded to the Seattle University faculty member or administrator who best exemplifies commitment to students and to the values of a Jesuit education. She teaches, writes and consults in the areas of medical liability and bioethics and is a frequent national and local lecturer on bioethics-related topics.

Her scholarship operates at the interface of health care, law, and health policy, with a particular emphasis on end-of-life issues. She has published articles in the New York University Law Review, the Georgetown Law Journal, and the Tulane Law Review, among others.

Today's announcement represents the culmination of an intensive, nearly year-long search process led by the law school's Dean Search Committee to identify the needs of the law school and how the experience and characteristics of prospective dean candidates could benefit the next phase of the School of Law.

After a select group of candidates were invited for on-campus interviews, the committee held small- and large-group meetings with students, faculty and staff to meet the candidates. These groups later provided feedback to the committee that was used to develop a recommendation on finalists to the University administration, which formally appoints the new dean. For more information on the committee, visit http://law.slu.edu/dean/.

"The caliber of all of the candidates with whom we met was extremely high, and it was a great honor to represent our colleagues and students during this important chapter of the school's history," said Michael Korybut, chair of the Dean Search Committee. "We believe Professor Clark will provide dedicated leadership while carving a new path for the future of legal education at Saint Louis University."

Professor Emerita Sandra H. Johnson will continue to serve as interim dean through June 30, 2011. Johnson was appointed interim dean following Dean Emeritus and Professor of Law Jeffrey E. Lewis' announcement last spring that he would return to full-time teaching at Saint Louis University School of Law after 11 years as dean.

"I would like to thank Sandy for her outstanding leadership during the past year," Biondi said. "Her willingness to serve as interim dean not only demonstrates her dedication to the law school, but also her deep commitment to our entire University community."

summa ###### laude

wahaha i was about to say, she's a summa fuok laude. mods, it's become obvious that the fuok filter on this board has reached oppressive communist regime levels. i move that it be removed entirely, and the wall torn down.

in closing, piss up a rope, biondi.

-bonwich, the only SLU faculty i can name are Dean Harshman as she sends every so often a magazine and Ken Warren as local radio and tv use him on elections (i do remember Provost Weixelman (?sp) but he retired or FrB canned him, sorry ben if spelled wrong), perhaps shame on me but not sure who is still there from my days

-granted she was not here long, but i never saw dean clark on ch5 asked her opinion on a legal matter, and i can't remember seeing her predecessor in that role, either, could have happened and i don't recall

-so was dean clark or her predecessor visible in the legal community?