SLU v Creighton (Soccer)

SLUBALLS

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our past history and name certainly doesn't earn us any recognition points from voters. If you count the rpi as a ranking it's a bit ridiculous that there is a 30 place spread between the highest and lowest. Hell even if you don't there's a 19 point spread.

Obviously the next couple of weeks will be telling. Starts with a big win tomorrow

The RPI is a ranking of sorts, but given the way it works, our RPI may get worse over the weekend even with a win over Central Arkansas because as you know, it is 50% opponents winning percentage and 25% opponent's opponents winning percentage. Our conference schedule is about as good as it usually gets, but we will not end the season ranked 13 in the RPI.

The RPI is a ranking of sorts, but given the way it works, our RPI may get worse over the weekend even with a win over Central Arkansas because as you know, it is 50% opponents winning percentage and 25% opponent's opponents winning percentage. Our conference schedule is about as good as it usually gets, but we will not end the season ranked 13 in the RPI.

No doubt. Though a big win will probably move us up in the 2 polls we're down in and maybe a little in the other 3. Like all sports ... just win

Trivia: The actual name of the game/trophy is the Joseph Carenza Sr. Perpetual Trophy.

Attendances:

1980 22,512. Lost in the mist of this being the college attendance record was that it was followed by an Air Supply concert.

1981 14,772. The teams also played each other in indoor soccer that year at the Echodome.

1982 15,009.

1983 10,053.

1984 6,799.

1985 not listed.

1986 4,216. Last stadium game.

1987. 1,635. Soccer Park. Highest attendance that year.

I was at the '81 game. That's the year we got Ekker to allow us to restore the Billiken mascot, and the Billiken made his reappearance at that Bronze Boot Game at Busch Stadium II. SLU had the south side of the field, and SIUE had the north side. For years we had to sit there as SIUE paraded that live cougar in front of us. So we had our newly restored Billiken take a walk, accompanied by 2 SLU female tennis players, on the north (SIUE) side of the field in retaliation. That was also the night that our renegade pep band made its first appearance.

When we told our friend that he was going to be the Billiken that night and that he had to take the walk in front of the SIUE crowd, he agreed with the only stipulation being that he did not have to get near that live cougar. That seemed fair enough, and we agreed to those terms. We only had the Billiken "head," so we dressed the Billiken in an old white with columbia blue trim Billiken hockey jersey.

The series should definitely be restored. SIUE was a huge rival in soccer back then, in many ways our biggest rival.

I was at SLU for the Air Supply Game, but missed it for some reason. That was a big deal too, and that one set the soccer attendance record.

Both schools had national power caliber teams back then, with great players on both sides.

Billikens win 3-0 with a 16-2 shots on goal advantage. This looks like a very much improved soccer team that has some nice young players. Could be very good in the future. Perfect evening for homecoming. The President's Circle BBQ was very well done and there was a good crowd. Good showing for alma mater.

Watched online. Was Graydon's assisting pass to Sweetin sublime or a mistouch? It was a bit hard to tell but I believe it was the former. Kristo's second goal certainly made the night special. Love to hear other's comments especially one's who may have been watching the team for the first time last night.

SLU #12 RPI (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ap50qE_fBUB-dHNuUDNaU3JMS0NhRHNDYmN5Y2Fvbmc&single=true&gid=12&range=A1%3AG206&output=html)

Granted our SOS will fall a little over the next two months (does not help that most of the "more difficult" conference games are at home), but we look two be an at-large bid if we do not win the conference or have an awful game against lower RPI teams such as GW or Temple. However, if these guys keep it up, I do not think it is unreasonable for SLU to compete for one of the top 16 bye spots.

And like everyone else on this board, we NEED to bring back the SIUE v SLU rivalry. I would also like to see another annual rivalry game possibly Louisville (played 3 times in 5 years) or Creighton (typically another strong team and regional).

Watched online. Was Graydon's assisting pass to Sweetin sublime or a mistouch? It was a bit hard to tell but I believe it was the former. Kristo's second goal certainly made the night special. Love to hear other's comments especially one's who may have been watching the team for the first time last night.

Don't have time to post a lot, just got on to update the score but see others already have. Graydon's touch was intentional, a little lucky to come down right to Sweet, but not a misplay at all. He actually made almost the exact same touch from the exact spot a couple minutes later. I can't remember who made that shot, but the keeper made a diving stop if I remember right, Thought it was Deja vu for a second. The Ark keep had to make 9 or 10 saves and at least 6 of them he had to lay out. 3=0 is a dominating win, but this could have been 5 or 6. We also hit the crossbar once.

I'll post more later today or tomorrow

Just a few more thoughts on the game. Central Ark was 6-2 coming in, they really hadn't played anyone, but still they had given up less than 1 goal per game. Take away the 1st 10 minutes and this game was as dominating a win as I can remember. Nick didn't make a save and we just possessed the ball almost non stop. Raymond Lee is healthy again, and that's a good thing. Dante is promissing but at this point Lee is the better player. He and Roeckle work well together as do Sweet and Heskamp. Sweet and Heskamp seem to be really developing a chemistry together, it's too bad it's Sweet's Sr year, but together they are dangerous down the right wing. They give you a couple of smile inducing combinations per game.

As good as the offense has looked and they've looked very good lately, the defense has matched them. Roeckle, Manning, David, and Heskamp. SLU has had some very good defensive units in the past, but with a little more time I'm not sure we've had a defense as good with the ball as this group. When you consider that it's 2 frosh, a Soph, and a Jr ... it's only going to get better. They're patient and confident with the ball, seemingly always under control and they see the field.

Robbie Kristo's 2nd goal ... wtf, is the only thing I can think of to say. He just controlled the ball in a crowd, split 3 defenders and rocketed a shot into the upper corner. When the ball was played to him I don't think there could have been a fan in the stands that thought this ball had any chance of becoming a goal. He has great size and skill on the ball. In addition, you can see him figuring out that he has to work defensively also and he's really working hard. When Robbie and Adnon are on the field together it's just tough to stop. How many teams in the country have defenders able to mark them both? Adnon is 6'3" and he's got to be 210 lbs. He's got thighs as big as a house and is just strong, strong, strong and fast. Robbie is 6'4" and though not as physically strong as Adnon, he's still strong and fast, but his skill level with the ball at his feet is very good. He see's the field and understands what to do with the ball. So you get them both under control and you have to deal with Sweet and Lee attacking you down the flanks ... or Roeckle delivering crosses with precision ... And hell, we haven't even talked about a developing David Graydon as a center mid. He's starting to really go get the ball and move it around, his energy level and fight is that of a defensive mid. He's only going to get better and more confident and comfortable. Watch out as he begins to turn up field and attack more and more. He's starting to really press the defense and he's just going to get better. The touch he had to Sweet for the 2nd goal was ... uh Sweet.

If you're a fan and you haven't gotten out to see these guys, you're missing out. To be honest I can't remember being this in to a SLU soccer team. We've won and done some good things over the past 20 years I've been here and followed them, but I really don't remember a team that had me so excited and looking forward to the next game.

Thanks Skip. . A little disappointed to see we stayed at #25 on Colelgesoccernews ranking. I thought we might break Top 20. Regardless, the boys are playing well. And I agree: Robbie's second goal had me saying WTF as well. That's a goal that will stick with me for awhile....along with Eric Sweetin's lofted last second ball to Ryan WiIleman for a game winning header or Brad Davis's impossible shot from the goal line that somehow made it into the far post.

I thought we would move up as well. However, we did move up to 35 in bottom drawer soccer. It's not just the winning it's the style we play and the fact that we are so young. Here's what we start beginning up top ...

Soph - Soph

Soph - Sr - Frosh - Jr

Jr - Frosh - Soph - Frosh

Jr

From our starting 11 we lose Robson next year, that's it 1 Sr. That's a big loss no doubt, but everyone else will grow and get better.

Btw ... wasn't there someone listing McGinty earlier as a bad higher from May?

Btw...wasn't there someone listing McGinty earlier as a bad hire from May?

As long as we have fans who expect a national championship each and every season, there are going to be people who are unhappy regardless of the coach. The expectations are still way too high.

The Billiken Twitter feed posted a good quote from the UCA coach regarding Kristo: “They’ve got a forward that scored twice on us that’s really special, he’s going to be a pro someday."

If you're a fan and you haven't gotten out to see these guys, you're missing out. To be honest I can't remember being this in to a SLU soccer team. We've won and done some good things over the past 20 years I've been here and followed them, but I really don't remember a team that had me so excited and looking forward to the next game.

I agree with this without a doubt. This team is just exciting to watch. I'm really interested to see how the Dayton/Xavier road trip goes this weekend. Playing 2 teams that are probably borderline top 25 both on the road. I think this weekend will really show something on how good we'll be. We obviously have a tournament team, but I think even getting a win and a tie this weekend would really really show something. With the RPI being so high, I don't think a top 16 seed and a bye is out of the question. Probably unlikely, but definitely possible especially with Xavier, Dayton, VCU, and Charlotte all being pretty good this season. Allows for quality wins in the conference. Would be nice to host a game or 2 in the tournament at least.

The Billikens remain unranked (but receiving votes) in the latest NSCAA Coaches Poll. Tulsa is in after a 2-0 win over Creighton at home but no love for SLU after taking down Creighton 3-0 on the road. Incidentally, Creighton is ranked No. 24 despite the losses.

http://www.nscaa.com.../National/Poll6

SLU is ranked in the other coaches poll (you can look at the names and determine for yourself who respect more) at 24. Charlotte and Xavier higher (and in all the other polls). http://www.soccertim...a/top25/men.htm

College Soccer News: SLU at 25th http://www.collegesoccernews.com/

Top Drawer: SLU at 35th (Dayton ranked higher as well as Charlotte and Xavier) http://www.topdrawer...ranking/men#349

Soccer America: SLU at 19th http://www.soccerame...ens-top-25.html

Saint Louis at 13th in the unofficial RPI. This is the one that matters.

And speaking of what matters--SLU has tough away games this week against Xavier (Friday) and Dayton (Sunday). Dayton has a good record but has not been tested (best win against a good Furman team). Xavier has an even better record but has no big wins (a good tie against Northwestern and a tie against underrated Virginia). Dayton and Xavier are undoubtedly good teams (it is hard to win consistently in college soccer) but this should be an interesting test for everybody.

SLU is ranked in the other coaches poll (you can look at the names and determine for yourself who respect more) at 24. Charlotte and Xavier higher (and in all the other polls). http://www.soccertim...a/top25/men.htm

College Soccer News: SLU at 25th http://www.collegesoccernews.com/

Top Drawer: SLU at 35th (Dayton ranked higher as well as Charlotte and Xavier) http://www.topdrawer...ranking/men#349

Soccer America: SLU at 19th http://www.soccerame...ens-top-25.html

And speaking of what matters--SLU has tough away games this week against Xavier (Friday) and Dayton (Sunday). Dayton has a good record but has not been tested (best win against a good Furman team). Xavier has an even better record but has no big wins (a good tie against Northwestern and a tie against underrated Virginia). Dayton and Xavier are undoubtedly good teams (it is hard to win consistently in college soccer) but this should be an interesting test for everybody.

-go win 'em both on the road

Indeed. I mention the NSCAA poll only for reference. I am not concerned about the polls. And, I do think there were times a few years ago when we were overrated in the polls. Poll karma, maybe.

As far as the unofficial RPI, I am not sure that we will finish in the Top 25, but who knows. At least we avoid playing Duquesne, St. Bona, Rhode Island and UMass as far as I remember.

The weekend games are critical. No doubt. The Sunday match against Temple on the road could be our trap game; a Sunday afternoon before the home game against Charlotte. Having said that, I think we run the table in conference.