Men's Soccer

Bill_Ken R

As noted 4-1 win for the Bills against an Evansville team that was 4-0 and beginning to get some attention.

The Bills were clearly the better team and dominated the game almost from start to finish. Evansville's loan goal was on a free kick that was a beautifully orchestrated and executed play. The kick was lobbed over the wall by a Frosh from Stl (Evansville's lone player from Stl who now has a goal and 4 assts in 5 games). A nice looking player, but he'd be depth in the midfield for us.

Speaking of depth, I think it's one of SLU's strengths. Coming off the bench we a ton of proven players beginning with Briggs who started most if not all of last year on the back line. In the midfield we have either Lee or Brangman depending on who starts, (Lee looked healthy when he subbed for an injured Donte Brangman and Brangman started, so I don't know if that is a sign if Donte has taken the top job) Hildago, Maglasang, and a freshman Khalil Karl who has looked ok when he's played this year. Up front we have Adnon and Jair Minors off the bench. That is almost a pretty good starting team except for the back line and we have a Sr in Joda Holloway and 4 freshman defenders I have no clue about.

On our 4 goals the 1st was a cross from the right side from Donte or Roeckle (I can't remember) played low to Robbie in the middle who layed it off to Sweet who buried the shot. That goal and E'ville's goal came in the 1st half giving us a 1-1 tie at half time. In the 2nd half the Bills just came out like this was a game they weren't going to let get away and made the most of their chances. The 1st 2nd half goal came on a strong individual play by Adnon where he just turned and overpowered the defender just to the right of midfield 25 yards out. As he crossed the 18 yard line he pushed the ball too far and Bryce was first to it but taken down in the process. Sweet hit the penalty shot. Goal 2 was created by Nick Mags who turned upfield about 30 yards out on the right dribbled a couple of times and fed a cutting Adnon with a beautiful through ball that Adnon touched once and then sent a rocket into the back of the net from 12-15 yards out. The last goal was another foul when Nick M (I think) was taken down by the keep on a loose ball in the box and Roeckle nailed the pk.

Some individual observations regarding players

I don't know how you'd stop Adnon and Kristo together. Neither works back or as hard defensively as Kingsley Bryce and it's keeping Bryce in the starting lineup. On the flip side I'm not sure either is in condition to play the entire game so right now it seems to be working well with the rotation of the 3.

David Graydon was outstanding. Really slick with the ball, he plays with a lot of ... maybe flair is the word. I'd still like to see him turn the ball upfield and press the issue more, but what I really like is he plays an attacking mid with the agressiveness of a defensive mid.

Got a customer, I gotta run. I'll finish later

continued ...

Donte Brangman had a very good game. He's very quick and is becoming more confident with the ball. Him and Roeckle play very well together down the left side. If the way he played Sat night is the norm, he's going to make the left side mid position a tough battle with Lee who is a pretty good player in his own right.

Sweet, is beginning to look like his old self and if he is completely back, look out. He's just one of those guys that does most everything well.

and Robson is just Robson, a very good defensive mid. Consistently wins the ball and holds possession.

and I almost forgot Adnon. This guy is just a beast. He's a bit one dimensional like Vedad was. He receives the ball and attacks. He's big, strong and can finish. Without looking at the stats, I'd guess he's played under 300 minutes and he now has 3 goals and an assist. In addition he created the 1st pk with his effort. He just turns pushes the ball out front and out muscles and runs you down the field and he has a shot to go along with it.

I know we lost at Denver, but Denver is a pretty good team and we took them to overtime on the road. We've now won 4 of the last 5 with a team starting 4 freshman, 3 sophs, 3 jr's, and 1 Sr. If you haven't yet GOSEETHEKIDSPLAY

The next 4 games will tell a lot. On the road against (rankings by College Soccer News) #12 Creighton, #22 X, and #30 Dayton plus a home game against a directional Arkansas school. We'll know soon if we're a year away or is the time now?

What a beautiful campus. We should all be proud. What a difference from the late 60's. The dirt parking lots were in this general area.

That is a really beautiful photo. However, I'll always take a dirt parking lot over any other type. Dirt parking lots invite GOING FOR IT. And I'm always down for GOING FOR IT. I'd unpave everything, if given the chance.