Willie Reed signs with Sac-town

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember WR from his Soph year and there's no denying he was a factor in the success we had that season. That said, from certain posts on here you get the idea WR was pretty much a "me" first type who never heard the cliche, "There's no I in team." It's hard to say how we would have done with him last year because of the chemistry issue. Would BC have developed as he did if WR was here? BC put in the Conklin summer knowing he was the main inside man, might not have been the case if WR was still here. Also, in BC's jr year you could see progress in his inside game as the season went along. Again, if WR played that year that progression might have slowed down. Add to that WR may have felt pressure to display his skills to NBA scouts and made the game all about him rather than play w/in RM's system. Of course RM would have put a stop to that anytime he saw it. We had a great season last year w/o WR, but still he was a talented athletic big, and you can't help but wonder if his presence would have taken us even further. The fact that he got a long look from SAC means that he was probably one of the top 20 bigs playing college hoops in the last 3-4 years. Here's hoping he goes to Europe and finds success over there that might earn him another shot at the NBA. WR's best hope for a life lies in earning some $$ playing hoops and saving those euros, dollars, rubles, etc. for a rainy day. Not saying he can't make it w/o hoops, but based on his past episodes at SLU, WR's still got a lot of growing up to do.

Maybe I'm alone on these thoughts but I could truly care less about WR and I while I don't wish him ill will, I also truly don't care about him anymore.

IMO, WR is the poster child for what is wrong in sports. WR is an absolute knucklehead who wasted all the god-given talent. And don't get me wrong, WR didn't just receive a few bad breaks and/or make a mistake or two. Instead, WR truly worked hard squandering his talent over many years.

First, he quit on academics in high school as a Freshman/Sophomore. Presumably, school was not going well when he left private high school after his Sophomore year to take the easy way out. Even if his grades were decent/passing, he still took the easy way out thinking that basketball (and not academics) is all he needed. WR knew, or should have known, that any "school" which only has 10 to 12 "students" who all play basketball is not putting school first. Mandatory test scores... Prop 48... increased focus on rules on academic progress... Why would WR think none of this applies to him?

Second, WR got his wake-up call in high school when the NCAA cracked down on his "school" causing WR to go back to a real high school where he had to focus on academics and was not allowed to play his Senior year. Instead of learning from this experience, WR continued making bad choices and did not come to SLU ready to be a student.

Third, WR was given the chance to play (as a Freshman) at SLU. He had RM (a HOF coach who specialized in working with bigs). Development occurred on the basketball court but not in the classroom where WR was put on probation, was given warning after warning and never put the time and effort into academics.

Fourth, WR was not going to play for us his JR b/c of academics. Nonetheless, WR made bad choices the night of The Situation which lead to him being expelled from SLU.

Fifth, unlike KM who apologized, sat out his semester, enrolled back in school, kept his mouth quiet and worked hard to get back in good graces with the school/Fr. Biondi, with RM and the team and with the fans, WR played the victim, threatened a lawsuit, was defiant and denied responsibility as he enrolled back in school.

Sixth, WR quit again on his team, his coaches, his school, his fans and most importantly, himself when failed to pass his classes in what should have been the Spring of his Junior year. Instead of taking upper level classes, he was still taking basic, entry level classes just trying to get enough college credit to where he should have been after his Sophomore year.

Seventh, WR made Vince Young look financially responsible the way he was give a few dollars as a contract advance and blew it all taking his posse to the amusement park in Kansas City.

In short, WR is a quitter and a loser and I, for one, could care less about quitters and losers.

Clock, I agree w/ everything you said about WR. If you'll re read my "what if" post, I thought he was very self centered and selfish. It was just a "what if" if he had played. My gut says we wouldn't have done as well, but we'll never know so the whole post's moot. I think a lot of WR's problems also stemmed from a not so healthy home situation. Dad was looking at his kid as an ATM machine, not a young confused kid who needed some direction and discipline. We should have known when he left the Catholic HS for the storefront school disguising a hoops factory for some crook who expected to cash in on the talent in KCity.

Clock, I agree w/ everything you said about WR. If you'll re read my "what if" post, I thought he was very self centered and selfish. It was just a "what if" if he had played. My gut says we wouldn't have done as well, but we'll never know so the whole post's moot. I think a lot of WR's problems also stemmed from a not so healthy home situation. Dad was looking at his kid as an ATM machine, not a young confused kid who needed some direction and discipline. We should have known when he left the Catholic HS for the storefront school disguising a hoops factory for some crook who expected to cash in on the talent in KCity.

it seems most times a trainwreck like willie reed happens, you only have to look to the parents or lack thereof to see the likely cause. i know when the situation happened and willie's father was in full blame everyone but a reed mode, i couldnt help but think that was the absolute wrong message to send. meanwhile you never heard a peep out of the mitchell line. doesnt take much to see the difference in upbringing and priorities. maybe this latest slap will finally get willie to see he needs to go back finish his degree and get a real life.

maybe this latest slap will finally get willie to see he needs to go back finish his degree and get a real life.

Not a chance. WR is beyond hope. The real concern should be about the next generation if/should WR have kids of his own. I can already hear it: "Son, do as I should have done and not as I did with your Grandpa."

per his facebook - he is "getting tatted today" #RiseAndGrind

husak attack, before i comment on willie's "priorities" (the guy just had his dream shattered of playing in the nba and he is getting tattoo's? never mind on my comments.)

i have to say i am impressed with your diverse interests, and i have always admired your stylistic picture beneath your moniker.

Thanks Roy! I try to paint the picture of what a day in the life of HusakAttack is in limited space but I think I am getting close

Thanks Roy! I try to paint the picture of what a day in the life of HusakAttack is in limited space but I think I am getting close

well then the quote from "blazing saddles"..... near perfect.

we dont need no stinking badges!

"Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age."

Bonwich, did you really mean, Prawn?

Posted Image

you know what, i immediately went and image searched "prawn pr0n" after i saw this, and gotdammit, you're welcome for my having taken that bullet for the team. there was some messed up sh!t out there.

and don't say "prawn". that's racist.

Posted Image

According to facebook, Willie got the tattoo below:

Posted Image

Something tells me Willie was not dealt quad Aces with dolla signs.

Rise and Grind

According to facebook, Willie got the tattoo below:

Posted Image

Something tells me Willie was not dealt quad Aces with dolla signs.

Rise and Grind

and he's short a card, too. but we all knew that. what a gotdamn idiot. i hope this dolt gets something tatted on his face soon so he can start living under overpasses full time.

and he's short a card, too. but we all knew that. what a gotdamn idiot. i hope this dolt gets something tatted on his face soon so he can start living under overpasses full time.

Textbook example of "ain't playing with a full deck"! This could turn into an internet meme.