katz has Bills near top 25

does anyone see next season being a sweet 16 or bust?

IMO the NCAA tourney is too much of a crapshoot to say it would be a disapointment if we don't make the sweet 16. I think realistic goals for this team include: top 25 for majority of season, A-10 conference regular season champs, seeding of 6 or better. If we do all those things, we'll have a very good shot at a sweet 16 and if the ball bounces right on that weekend and we can beat two very good teams we'll play the next weekend.

IMO the NCAA tourney is too much of a crapshoot to say it would be a disapointment if we don't make the sweet 16. I think realistic goals for this team include: top 25 for majority of season, A-10 conference regular season champs, seeding of 6 or better. If we do all those things, we'll have a very good shot at a sweet 16 and if the ball bounces right on that weekend and we can beat two very good teams we'll play the next weekend.

+1. We easily could have been a sweet 16 team this year if we had the road of any 6,7,10,11 seed. We got the shaft somewhat in that regard.

Next year could be the same where we wind up getting stuck as an 8/9 seed vs. a strong #1.

-do we need to replace all of BC's 14pts if we defend and rebound better? i say that hoping JM at 6'11" can do both

I would venture to say that we will be a better rebounding team next season without BC. BC had a really good season from the offensive end, but he was never a strong rebounder. The players taking up BC's minutes next season will almost certainly rebound at a better rate than he did.

1) SLU should be in top 25. SLU is better than a lot of teams on that list. They have 4 starters returning, 3 of which were Sophs. They have 7 of the top 9 guys. If you add in the NCAA tourney games, they should finish in the rpi top 30 this year. I would think this team should be better than Tenn, Mizz, Memphis, and SD St.

2) I don't see how CE is not the favorite to start at PF. He avg the 2nd most minutes of the big men and was the 3rd leading scorer on the team. I assume the question everybody is asking is who plays at C now that Conk is gone, since they need some low post scoring. If Loe is the best option, my guess is they will not look to post up as much but occasionally post Ellis and Evans if they are matched up against smaller guys. Loe could help if he becomes an option in the high post to shoot the jumper or pass it out from the middle, which is hard to guard. Ellis could do the same. SLU will probably post up less and do the ball screen pick and roll more. And if Manning actually makes the jump to a lot of minutes, that changes things.

I would venture to say that we will be a better rebounding team next season without BC. BC had a really good season from the offensive end, but he was never a strong rebounder. The players taking up BC's minutes next season will almost certainly rebound at a better rate than he did.

I have seen other posters talk about our "poor rebounding" or see it as an area to improve upon next year. However, on the defensive boards, we picked up 71.3% of the rebounds, good for 53rd in the country. While I agree we could get better (we weren't 1st, or at 100%), and having another player who is good at rebounding on the floor would help, it wouldn't be so much in terms of keeping the other team off the glass - we already do that pretty effectively - but would allow us to do it with fewer players, which in turn could open up our transition game beyond a reliance on turnovers.

A similar possibility relates to the offensive boards, where we were not that good (31.6%, 200th). Having individuals who are better at rebounding would improve this stat, as we are very committed to getting back on defense and oftentimes have only one player crashing the boards. JM could be this person, and DE is already very good at it.

Bottom line is that getting any better at rebounding will be a plus, but it is not an area we should need to worry about too much moving to next season.

How can we discuss the possible replacements for BC without mentioning Remekun? I know he has been an enigma and has at times regressed right when he seems to be on the doorstep of becoming a real constributor, but this kid is about twice the "athlete" that BC was and if he can get it together could be a real force inside.

+1. I just watched the michigan St game again the other night and Cory played a very good game. He played a lot of minutes too. I predict that Cory has a coming out party sometime early in the season next year and becomes a total beast. I really think he has the talent to do so. I just hope he has the desire.

In my mind, there are only 3 ways that KC gets major (i.e. over 20) minutes a game.

1) one of the 3 amigos gets hurts (or isn't availble next year)

2) Nobody steps up at the 4 spot and Evans has to play 4 and we go to a 3 guard offense.

3) KC is a terrific player and is better than upperclassman KM, MM and JJ. If that is the case, then WHOA!

Evans is going to play 30 minutes a game as long as he stays out of foul trouble. Even if 10 of those are at the 4 spot, that means there is only 100 minutes left for the 1, 2 and 3 spots. With KM, MM and JJ all deserving of 30 minutes a game, I have a lot of trouble seeing KC getting more than 10, absent one of the three things above.

K, I think you may be discounting CE at the 4 next year. If BC could make the huge leap this year, than CE is fully capable of doing it as well. I don't know what RM will tell CE his role will be next year, but if he says, "you've got to pick up BC's slack", I really think he can do it. Add to that his ability to hit 3s, CE could be something special next year.

K, I think you may be discounting CE at the 4 next year. If BC could make the huge leap this year, than CE is fully capable of doing it as well. I don't know what RM will tell CE his role will be next year, but if he says, "you've got to pick up BC's slack", I really think he can do it. Add to that his ability to hit 3s, CE could be something special next year.

72, I didn't say it would happen, rather I said it's one of only three ways I could see Carter getting a lot of minutes. Translation: Carter is going to have a hard time finding a lot of minutes unless he is a really really good player.

Back to the OP:

in his way too early sneak peek at next season http://espn.go.com/m...-moving-2012-13

Katz isn't saying much; anyone who didn't watch a game all season could look only at the tournament results and pack us away on the 25-34 shelf for the summer. Personally, I like us there. Last year we were ignored too long, rose too fast, then dismissed too easily by the polls. Next season the Experts will have reasonable expectations for us which we can reasonably exceed by January. It should be fun.