OT- What If , Conference Idea

BLIKNS

I personally wouldn`t think this would be a good idea, but going to throw it out anyway.

What if the Big XII, were to add SLU,X,Dayton,and Creighton. Having it`s 12 football members plus the 4 to make 16 for basketball.

By adding West Virginia, there is a regional team to group with X and Dayton, plus what if Louisville and or Cincinnati were to join( I never can vision UC and X in the same league)

Have a team back in Nebraska with Creighton,and Missouri with SLU, where there are Big Eight/XII roots.

I think non football is where we will be , and should be , but any thoughts?

I personally wouldn`t think this would be a good idea, but going to throw it out anyway.

What if the Big XII, were to add SLU,X,Dayton,and Creighton. Having it`s 12 football members plus the 4 to make 16 for basketball.

By adding West Virginia, there is a regional team to group with X and Dayton, plus what if Louisville and or Cincinnati were to join( I never can vision UC and X in the same league)

Have a team back in Nebraska with Creighton,and Missouri with SLU, where there are Big Eight/XII roots.

I think non football is where we will be , and should be , but any thoughts?

I like it. Dream big, buddy! Go Bills!

Wouldn't want it. Putting schools like us, Dayton, X and Creighton in with the likes of state super powers Kansas, KState, Texas, and the others is not a level playing field. We make fun of the bona-welder incident at St. Bonaventure but those are legit degrees at some of these schools. Physical eduction degrees allow these schools to get athletes we can't even consider. In the short run, it could work but it is bound to run its course given time. And then we become second class citizens in our own conference, coupled with the fact we are already there because with no football, we have no voice or ability to reason with power.

Football is the ruling power now and in the foreseeable future. I would prefer to be in a non-football dominated conference, with like-minded schools, striving to become the next available step in the power grid outside the BCS-football arena. If that means mid-major --- high, medium, low -- so be it. You cannot be high major w/o football IMHO because those are the rules right now.

I find that hard to believe because in all the BCS crap and wrangling over the Nationasl Champion this year, I watched about 10 total minutes of Bowl play in December and January. I can't tell you who was in the Motor City Bowl or the Poulian Weedeater or Vegas Bowls. I don't even know what games are played in January anymore. But here comes March and I know where I will be the whole time not caring who is playing. With all that March Madness has become, one would think it would allow for more weight in the basketball-only arena but it does not. Why is that?

And I get to go see my beloved Rays tomorrow in the Spring Training opener. Rays Baby Rays

competing with the state schools in the non revenue sports is a loser. we cannot compete. it is vital to stay in an situation where the vast majority of conference partners are like thinking and like minded institutions. right now the A-10 with the exception of geography is the absolute best situation for the billikens. to leave that, it has to be an even better scenario and imo that can only be the fabled midwest papal conference that would include dayton and xavier, along with marquette and depaul and hopefully creighton and then fill in from there with other private schools. if that cant be obtained, stay where we are. the travel sucks but the opportunities to compete across the board in all sports has never been better.

I don't think there is any way this conference ever happens, but I think it would be a definite plus for SLU. The money that would flow to SLU would be massive. It would be a lot like the Big East used to be and I think it would work for SLU. It would definitely be a better option than the current Big East set up and the A-10.

how about a jesuit only conference?...pull georgetown, bc, usf, loyola, fordham, marquette and creighton into a super-catholic conference...maybe we could even say a hail mary before the game, like in the old days...

how about a jesuit only conference?...pull georgetown, bc, usf, loyola, fordham, marquette and creighton into a super-catholic conference...maybe we could even say a hail mary before the game, like in the old days...

Gee, nobody has ever brought that up on this board... :rolleyes:

Gee, nobody has ever brought that up on this board... :rolleyes:

well, then, good!...glad i could be the first...and have then contact me if they're looking for a commish...i'd be perfect for the job...love to criticize athletic directors, travel on expense accounts, and lecture everyone on everything...

I've always thought about this...Not so much in the sense of SLU's case, or the Big 12, but "Would a BCS conference with some basketball only schools like the Big East, work elsewhere?"

The thing you have to understand about the Big East, is that it was originally intended to be a BASKETBALL power conference, back in the days where football didn't hold the sway it holds now. So the only reason it even exists is because it was once ok to be a basketball only school.

So the answer is no, I don't think it could happen, not just in this case, but anywhere. Football is actually THE reason I think the Papal conference has a realistic idea of getting out of our dreams and into the real world. The more the Big East sacrifices their academic integrity and geographic logic for football team numbers (and not even strong ones) the more that schools, who are firmly not going to budge on setting up a Big Football team (or revoking their independant status), are going to get ercked and finally leave. We all sit here and say "Well Georgetown, Marquette, Nova, and ND will never leave the Big East because its too good a conference." But will it be in 2, 3, 4 years? Look at these schools: UCF? SMU? Memphis? Houston? The only one with any basketball history of recent times is Memphis. You think the 4 previously mentioned Catholic schools want to associate with those schools? Seriously? Rather than SLU, X, Dayton or St. Joe's? If basketball only schools are going to survive this fray, they have to stay together, eventually they will figure that out.

Georgetown, Fordham, and Villanova aren't going to make the jump to D-1 FBS. Georgetown bleeds money out on the gridiron and is looking for a reason to get rid of football. Fordham isn't any good, they keep the team around to appease donors and nod to a historical program. Nova could make the jump taking in their recent D-1 FCS triumphs over the last decade but its not a priority of their alumni base. And no scenario anyone can paint me will ever convince me that ND will ever join a conference in football, they have too much at stake money wise.

The fuse on this conference is lit... I can't wait to see the Big East explode.