LMU and New Mexico both beating ranked teams right now

Per the live-rpi.com feature on RPIforecast.com, this pushes LMU's RPI all the way up to 90. Thus, they are now officially out of 'bad loss' territory. Currently, the RPI of certain games for SLU are as follows:

Tenn St. (W) - 136

Washington (W) - 56

Oklahoma (W) - 110 (how disappointing!)

Villanova (W) - 105 (Grrrrrrr!)

Vermont (W) - 139

LMU (L) - 90

New Mexico (L) - 29

Dayton (L/W)- 66

Temple (L) - 18

Xavier (W) - 54

UMass (L) - 71

St. Joe (W) - 50

LaSalle (W) - 89

Don't forget Duquesne with an RPI of 85...that at least makes our record against Top 100 RPI's a respectable 6-5

Big win for LMU (C+ ) over St. M (A- ) at SM's place. I never considered LMU a bad loss. They have always hung around C+. When I do the numbers tomorrow they will still be around C+. They weren't that bad before and they are not that good now. It is hard to move much this time of the year. This win though is very important for the non tech people. These are the people who still have SLU around 40. Wins like this will catch their attention and make them think SLU doesn't have any really bad losses. Of course, we all knew that.

I had New Mex winning this game by 4 so not much help to SLU....NM(A+ ) beats SDS (B+ ) ..no surprise.

Vermont (C+...in fact very similar to LMU) beats Albany (D+ ) ...no surprise and not much help.

Nova (B ) loses to USF (B- ) @ USF ....no help there but littlle damage.

Bottomline and biggest help was that we won and came in right on target. That's all we have to do.

Big win for LMU (C+ ) over St. M (A- ) at SM's place. I never considered LMU a bad loss. They have always hung around C+. When I do the numbers tomorrow they will still be around C+. They weren't that bad before and they are not that good now. It is hard to move much this time of the year. This win though is very important for the non tech people. These are the people who still have SLU around 40. Wins like this will catch their attention and make them think SLU doesn't have any really bad losses. Of course, we all knew that.

I had New Mex winning this game by 4 so not much help to SLU....NM(A+ ) beats SDS (B+ ) ..no surprise.

Vermont (C+...in fact very similar to LMU) beats Albany (D+ ) ...no surprise and not much help.

Bottomline and biggest help was that we won and came in right on target. That's all we have to do.

st mary's as an a+ maybe be considered too nice. id say closer to "B"

Obviously, I agree with everything you say and I pretty much subscribe to your methodolgy. But, of course, we also know that the selection committee definitely uses RPI as a major contributing factor when selecting a team to the dance. And one thing they like to see are lack of 'bad losses'. Now that LMU has moved into the top 100 of RPI, coupled with the fact that it was a road loss, then I think we can all agree this gives the committee less of a reason to try to screw over SLU when it comes to at-large selection and seeding.

Duh.

Congrats, btw on the Wedding! I'm assuming your bride-to-be passes the "eye test." Ha.

She totally passed the 'eye test' for me. But when choosing me, she noticed that my Sagarin rating was much higher than my AP Poll and decided to take a chance on me.

I still consider Okla ( B ) a quality win. They don't look so hot only because they play in the 2nd best conference. (B10 I think is the best.)

As for LMU, I think one more win in their tourney against one of the Big 3 (Zags, SM, BYU) would push them to B-..

And finally let us not forget about Wash (B+ ) who I think is right there with St. J, La S, and X all B+....all quality wins.

The outlook is still showing us favored in all the remaining games including the A-10 tourney.

And projecting even further ....and depending on the seeding...I am showing the Bills can reach the Elite 8. Obviously a bad seed such as 8 or 9 would change things dramatically.

She totally passed the 'eye test' for me. But when choosing me, she noticed that my Sagarin rating was much higher than my AP Poll and decided to take a chance on me.

Grats 2 you on the wedding.

If you stop by the sports book, you will notice not only are the Bills 75 to1 to win the NC but Temple the team many think is better than us is going at 200 to 1. Sounds like Vegas uses computer programs too. Those greenhorns..

Doesn't look like RealTimeRPI has been updated yet. We're 22 but listed at 19-5 and 8-3 instead of 20-5 and 9-3. Should we expect a boost when it refreshes today?

Not sure we get much of a boost from the win, but I would hope New Mexico and LMU getting big wins could give us a little boost. I'll be interested to here what our resident numbers crunchers have to say.

Not sure we get much of a boost from the win, but I would hope New Mexico and LMU getting big wins could give us a little boost. I'll be interested to here what our resident numbers crunchers have to say.

The influence of other teams can cumulatively maybe move SLU up a ranking or two but usually things are cancelling each other out. MOST of the movement up has to do with teams ranked ahead of us losing or playing a terrible team at home. Our own wins and losses will not be helping much and simply playing Fordham at home will knock SLU down several points even if SLU wins. Basically, when you are ranked 22 it is hard to move up. Against most teams winning will keep SLU level (winning on the road against a .700 WP or more team would help but SLU does not have any of those games left); even beating Xavier will only move SLU up a few points this time of year.

The influence of other teams can cumulatively maybe move SLU up a ranking or two but usually things are cancelling each other out. MOST of the movement up has to do with teams ranked ahead of us losing or playing a terrible team at home. Our own wins and losses will not be helping much and simply playing Fordham at home will knock SLU down several points even if SLU wins. Basically, when you are ranked 22 it is hard to move up. Against most teams winning will keep SLU level (winning on the road against a .700 WP or more team would help but SLU does not have any of those games left); even beating Xavier will only move SLU up a few points this time of year.

Yeah, I understand that. I was just surprised that it wasn't updated at all this morning. I'm curious to see where SLU and our opponents will be. I know that the win last night won't do anything, but the LMU and UNM wins are intriguing.