ESPN's BPI Rankings

TVACH13

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pending more games today, SLU's RPI is 26 following the big La Salle road win. This is outstanding, just outstanding- a Sweep in Philly, 2 huge road wins in difficult venues, on Hawk Hill and today inside the Walls of Tom Gola Arena.

Keep up the good work. We will be there next Saturday for Fordham at SLU and are very much looking forward to it.

Go Billikens!

Pending more games today, SLU's RPI is 26 following the big La Salle road win. This is outstanding, just outstanding- a Sweep in Philly, 2 huge road wins in difficult venues.

Keep up the good work. I will be there next Saturday for Fordham at SLU.

Go Billikens!

Fordham? Honestly, Bay, you couldn't wait to visit the relatives until X rolls into town a week later? :ph34r: I'm giving serious thought to coming back out for the X game, but I'm afraid of my jinx. It usually takes two L's to get past it. But then again, I'll probably wait until the AC or the Dance.

Pending more games today, SLU's RPI is 26 following the big La Salle road win. This is outstanding, just outstanding- a Sweep in Philly, 2 huge road wins in difficult venues.

Keep up the good work. I will be there next Saturday for Fordham at SLU.

Go Billikens!

OK, Bay Area. If we all agree on a pre-game watering hole, I'll be there wearing my Mayberry sheriff badge button in your honor ! btw, while he was lost down here, brownindian was able to set up a Sister Cities arrangement between Olean and Otterville, so all was not lost for him.

Fordham? Honestly, Bay, you couldn't wait to visit the relatives until X rolls into town a week later? :ph34r: I'm giving serious thought to coming back out for the X game, but I'm afraid of my jinx. It usually takes two L's to get past it. But then again, I'll probably wait until the AC or the Dance.

Oh, come on back to the Fetz, larry72. Although I know you have a weakness for AC since you were Bert Parks' personal bodyguard for years at the Miss America pageants. :D

I doubt these rankings will get the mb73 seal of approval but they look good to me.

Today was the key. Huge. Now we have 3 easy games, breathing room.

Look, we are on the way to the dance, but we still are not there, and we are not 13th.

We do not have a victory over a top 50 team according to most all rankings, including this one. If you do the math, teams with several wins over top 25-50 teams, all the criteria, before the X-Temple game tonight, Xavier & St. Joes, etc, are not in the top 50. The RPI, coaches, USA polls will reveal we are about 25-30th.

We still MUST go 4-1 to close out in good shape. It would be best to finish 2nd or tied for 2nd with one other team going into the A-10 Tourney. We cannot count on NCAA to take 3 teams from A-10 though it is likely.

4-1 is very do-able.

Three easy games will hurt our RPI, two are > 200, then X at home and Duq on the road, both a challenge.

The team is looking strong, confident, we have a nice 9 man rotation, RM has figured out how to distribute the minutes, we exploit the other teams weaknesses, we are out playing and out coaching our competitors. These victories on the godd*m road are sweet.

La Salle is 49 in this

Splitting hairs, true but not after today, LaSalle will be out. And that was before the game.

You have to understand that some of these math based rankings have huge gaps. Explain how, in this poll, looking at same D-1 18-5 record going into today, we are 13, Temple is 31 with SOS of 34 to our 93 SOS, and Temple has defeated several top 50 teams (Wichita State, Duke, SLU), they beat us in our building. We hadn't beaten 49 LaSalle yet. No other victories were top 50.

Some mathematical ranking methodologies have huge flaws, this yr we are the beneficiaries of bean-counter type mistakes by KenPom and a few other polls. It's fun, but do not be mislead. NCAA does not have us 13th.

After today's game our RPI is now 23. Now who's splitting hairs. Hopefully you don't need us to go back to all those posts where you say rpi is superior to everything else.

P.s. It's interesting how the rpi seems to be closing in on the other rankings....

Today was the key. Huge. Now we have 3 easy games, breathing room.

Look, we are on the way to the dance, but we still are not there, and we are not 13th.

We do not have a victory over a top 50 team according to most all rankings, including this one. If you do the math, teams with several wins over top 25-50 teams, all the criteria, before the X-Temple game tonight, Xavier & St. Joes, etc, are not in the top 50. The RPI, coaches, USA polls will reveal we are about 25-30th.

We still MUST go 4-1 to close out in good shape. It would be best to finish 2nd or tied for 2nd with one other team going into the A-10 Tourney. We cannot count on NCAA to take 3 teams from A-10 though it is likely.

4-1 is very do-able.

Three easy games will hurt our RPI, two are > 200, then X at home and Duq on the road, both a challenge.

The team is looking strong, confident, we have a nice 9 man rotation, RM has figured out how to distribute the minutes, we exploit the other teams weaknesses, we are out playing and out coaching our competitors. These victories on the godd*m road are sweet.

You got to like the MB posts though - he is optimistic, just cautiously optimistic. Heck, you can't blame him for that, with the Billiken program.

MB, you have to realize though that we may not pass the 'sniff' test, but mathematically our numbers are what they are. Enjoy them.

We cannot have a let down with one of these easier teams. We are a great position to finish strong.

Next weekend is President's Day Weekend, hence an extra travel day, plus it's Mardi Gras. You should come in for this one too, slu72. I'm saving the frequent flyer miles for the NCAA Tournament.

OK, Bay Area. If we all agree on a pre-game watering hole, I'll be there wearing my Mayberry sheriff badge button in your honor ! btw, while he was lost down here, brownindian was able to set up a Sister Cities arrangement between Olean and Otterville, so all was not lost for him.

LOL! Something is in the works for Saturday. We will let you know.

Maybe I can make a side visit to Otterville while I'm back there to confirm that everything is under control with that sister cities relationship.

After today's game our RPI is now 23. Now who's splitting hairs. Hopefully you don't need us to go back to all those posts where you say rpi is superior to everything else.

P.s. It's interesting how the rpi seems to be closing in on the other rankings....

It is, isn't it? It would almost be like some of the other ranking systems were predictive or something...

We are about # 30 in true ranking, give or take. Sure, some goofy systems have us 10, 13, whatever. The Wiz probably will have us # 8. Live it up, but they are not for real.

Our rpi will go up even as we win the next three games, 2 teams > 200, Richmond > 100.

All that counts is making sure that we secure a # 2 finish in the A-10, so going 4-1 to finish is what we are shooting for.

Finishing #3 might do it, but then we would be vulnerable; if we get # 3 and lose a first round A-10 game, we very possibly won't get in, there is no way to be certain, it depends on other teams and other tournament results. So we need to place 2nd.

As to a few of you that believe, in your hearts, that we are # 10 or so, it's like the old joke, you are "just like The Rainman, except you are not good at math".

MB73's goal is to get into the NCAA's, and pound Missouri in the first round by 28 pts, and for Missouri to complain that Conklin is a dirty player. The rest is gravy.

We are about # 30 in true ranking, give or take. Sure, some goofy systems have us 10, 13, whatever. The Wiz probably will have us # 8. Live it up, but they are not for real.

Our rpi will go up even as we win the next three games, 2 teams > 200, Richmond > 100.

All that counts is making sure that we secure a # 2 finish in the A-10, so going 4-1 to finish is what we are shooting for.

Finishing #3 might do it, but then we would be vulnerable; if we get # 3 and lose a first round A-10 game, we very possibly won't get in, there is no way to be certain, it depends on other teams and other tournament results. So we need to place 2nd.

As to a few of you that believe, in your hearts, that we are # 10 or so, it's like the old joke, you are "just like The Rainman, except you are not good at math".

MB73's goal is to get into the NCAA's, and pound Missouri in the first round by 28 pts, and for Missouri to complain that Conklin is a dirty player. The rest is gravy.

Now that is what I'm talking about. I don't care where the Bills are ranked as long as they make the tourney, and not in those stupid play in games.

No first round pounding. That would me we'd be a 15 or 16 seed. Now a pounding in a regional final, like in say, Saint Louis? That's what dreams are made of.

No first round pounding. That would me we'd be a 15 or 16 seed. Now a pounding in a regional final, like in say, Saint Louis? That's what dreams are made of.

We can't play in st Louis because we are hosting the regional. Given that mizzou has a good shot at being placed in the st Louis region that further reduces the chances of us meeting.

Given that mb73 is such an expert on the committee and what they think, I was surprised to see him suggest a first round matchup with mu. Since they are almost certain to be 1-3 seed he should know they'll be playing an auto bid team in the first round.

Dammit, MB. I try to stay away but you keep pulling me back in! ;)

The main issue I have with your quote here is that it is MATH that is the reason why certain ranking systems (KenPom, Sagarin, The Wiz, now ESPN's BPI) have SLU so high. They are based on mathematical algorithims that take into account offensive/defensive officiency, margin of victory, SOS, etc. So, basically, those that believe in these rankings (or utilize them, like The Wiz) are typically GOOD at math, not the other way around. Your quote is pretty much a contradiction.

Right now, pretty much the only thing that can be looked at that is not showing us as anywhere between top 10 to 25 are the AP and ESPN/USA Today polls. And we already know that those polls are based solely on subjective opinion from either writers or coaches.

We can't play in st Louis because we are hosting the regional. Given that mizzou has a good shot at being placed in the st Louis region that further reduces the chances of us meeting.

Given that mb73 is such an expert on the committee and what they think, I was surprised to see him suggest a first round matchup with mu. Since they are almost certain to be 1-3 seed he should know they'll be playing an auto bid team in the first round.

I was not aware of this rule. Does this mean there will be a Billiken logo on the court?

All the systems are working ---- they cause debates much like this thread. Again,win out and see what happens. I cannot believe that a 28 and 5 record, champs of the A10 (the sixth best conference in land) gets you anything below a five or six seed. And kshoe is right ---we cannot play in St.Louis but Mizzou can (and likely will).

All the systems are working ---- they cause debates much like this thread. Again,win out and see what happens. I cannot believe that a 28 and 5 record, champs of the A10 (the sixth best conference in land) gets you anything below a five or six seed. And kshoe is right ---we cannot play in St.Louis but Mizzou can (and likely will).

If that scenario occurs (very possible!), then per RPIforecast.com, we would have a top 10 RPI. Also, I am pretty sure that Sagarin and KenPom would have us definitely in the top 10, and maybe top 5. With win-loss record, A-10 championship and other factors, I would think you could make the argument that SLU would deserve a #3 seed, at the very least a #4 seed. Of course, this is only in the scenario that SLU wins out. It would seem more likely that SLU will lose another game this season (and possibly 2 more, including conference tourney), even if currently they are heavily favored in the rest of their regular season games and will probably be favored in all of the A-10 tourney games until the finals.

Right now, it is imperative that SLU take care of business in the next 3 games. They are favored by double digits in all 3, and they need to make sure they don't allow themselves to be caught looking ahead.

I was not aware of this rule. Does this mean there will be a Billiken logo on the court?

No, game played at the Dome. This year SLU gets to handle tourism, hospitality, relationships, arrangements, promotions, commercialization, and revenue stream from local business and manage the regional website, I believe. SLU alternates with MVC in future NCAA visits to STL.

See: http://www.stlsports...nnouncement.php