Anyone going to St. Joe's

Hi - I have been working in Baltimore lately and I think I am going to try and go up for the St. Joe's game. Going to do an up and back in a night...Couple of questions:

1) How long does it take to get from 30th St. Station to Hagen Arena?

2) Is it easy to get a cab after the game?

3) Are their seats still left for the game?

Looking forward to a good game.

My roommate (also a SLU grad) and I live in Philly and are going to the St. Joes game...30th Street Station is probably about a 20 minute cab ride including traffic to Hagan. Its probably pretty difficult to get a cab in that area, but I'm not really sure.

We got tickets yesterday...pretty good too- right under the basket across from the student section...

I am debating ---- I have tickets in 218 sent to me by the vivacious Meg girl in the alumni department. Wife cannot attend. If going, leaving out of Bel Air (northeast of Bal'mer) going via car. Willing tro talk logistics. DO NOT UNDERSTAND: all St. Joe's ga,mes tip at 7:00 pm buit thi sone starts at 8:30 pm. Anytone know why???? Even the ticket office at SJU couldn't answer that one.

I am debating ---- I have tickets in 218 sent to me by the vivacious Meg girl in the alumni department. Wife cannot attend. If going, leaving out of Bel Air (northeast of Bal'mer) going via car. Willing tro talk logistics. DO NOT UNDERSTAND: all St. Joe's ga,mes tip at 7:00 pm buit thi sone starts at 8:30 pm. Anytone know why???? Even the ticket office at SJU couldn't answer that one.

If it's a weird starting time, the best explanation usually has something to do with television.

-taj, this about a 2hr one way drive for you?

-i did not know this was an 8:30 et tip

@Cowboy --- home to Philly is about 75 miles. Being east coast, specualting on time to travel is never good given the state of I95, rush hour bottlenecks, tolls, etc. There is also a back door route up US 1 that is okay until you hit Kennett Square, PA, and then you get two lanes, red lights, etc.

Going to the game from Delaware. Found out today that there is no pre-game reception-too small a turnout. Meg offered tickets to the LaSalle game but I don't know if I'll be able to make it. Might have to hold the wife at gunpoint.

-do what you need to do!!

I also got tickets thru Meg - and am hoping I will find them at Hagen Arena will-call. Getting a cab from that area would probably involve making a phone call - you would have to be lucky to just flag one down. Are SEPTA train stations not too far away, but this game will end too late to avoid an hour wait at a sketchy location. I could give a few folks a ride to 30th St. - but the pre-game reception here was cancelled, so how to meet? To rub it in to Hawks fans, I'll be wearing a SLU sweat and a Temple cap.

Look for me.

Need to control the Galloway's this week - both St. J and LaS have one (Ramon & Langston). IMO, each team's best player.

I was going to go until I realized the game is on KPLR 11.

No way am I going to pass up an oppurtunity to listen to the Brilliance that is Rich Gould.

Posted Image

Jack Buck move over, Vin Scully put the mic down, Gus johnson your servies are not longer needed, Marv Albert, go back to wearing womens underwear. THere is a new kind of broadcasting excellence and his name is RICH GOULD!!!!

@cowboy --- am undecided yet on St. Joe's. If I go, will have additional ticket for those in need. alert me now! Rain and snow is scheduled for this area Wednesday afternoon, no accumulations. I guess it depends on how edgy I want to make wife. Being originally from Pennsyl-tuckey, I can handle snow. It's everyone else that scares me.

@Nick -- I remember you. Was it that one or the 20-point total fiasco we shared pine on? I always go to GeeDub. Will have wife in tow for Saturday; she demands the cheesesteaks and pretzels more than I do.

@fxkesq --- I asked a high school buddy from Nova if he wanted to go to Hawk Hill and kill the evening. He said no, his car is peppered with Wildcat stuff. The last time a car in his family went there with such stuff on it, they came out to a cinderblock through the windshield. There is no love lost amongst Philly schools.

@box --- apparently, I am nothing if not consistent.

@Anyone: where are your seats? Meg's letter has me in section 218. The rest?

I was going to go until I realized the game is on KPLR 11.

No way am I going to pass up an oppurtunity to listen to the Brilliance that is Rich Gould.

Posted Image

Jack Buck move over, Vin Scully put the mic down, Gus johnson your servies are not longer needed, Marv Albert, go back to wearing womens underwear. THere is a new kind of broadcasting excellence and his name is RICH GOULD!!!!

I'm not expecting to hear Branson Rich tomorrow night. He's fine rambling from the Busch bleachers on a Sunday afternoon but his chitchat style, missing plays, improv approach ( e,g, Elgin Baylor reference earlier this year) do not make him a basketball play-by-play guy. He's an every-other-play guy. I prefer the generic A-10 announcers or the old (usually) reliable radio w/Rammer and Earl.

I'm not expecting to hear Branson Rich tomorrow night. He's fine rambling from the Busch bleachers on a Sunday afternoon but his chitchat style, missing plays, improv approach ( e,g, Elgin Baylor reference earlier this year) do not make him a basketball play-by-play guy. He's an every-other-play guy. I prefer the generic A-10 announcers or the old (usually) reliable radio w/Rammer and Earl.

I thin Rich Gould is a clown and a horrible announcer.

But for some reason whenever I hear him I just shake my head and laugh.

I can help you guys out a little bit.

1) How long does it take to get from 30th St. Station to Hagan Arena?

-As long as you're driving after peak rush hour, it's only about a 10-15 minute trip. City Ave, the long strip off of which the SJU campus is located, is always highly-congested but is not nearly as bad during the evening hours. Cabs are plentiful in the 30th street area and would run you less than $20 for a trip to Hagan.

2) Is it easy to get a cab after the game?

-Surprisingly, finding cabs is relatively easy. They travel en masse on City Ave and all you have to do is stand at the (very) busy intersection of 54th and City to flag one down. You can also call a little ahead of time and request one. The most reliable tends to be Maxwell Cabs (610-896-5100).

3) Are their seats still left for the game?

-Not sure about "normal" tickets, but as of about a half hour ago, the student section (1200 seats) is sold out. There's probably a few random available tickets scattered about, but as you guys know, Hagan is a small gym with a limited seating capacity.

Feel free to post if you have further questions.