Good reads for Monday

#12 in http://kenpom.com/

Bilas has us at #30 http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7438579/college-hoops-top-68-rankings-indiana-hoosiers-keep-winning-jump-no-17-no-6 Insider is necessary for this, but Jay says:

"Lost in overtime at Dayton, which does not really hurt the Billikens. This team is solid but must control tempo to win. The numbers love Saint Louis, while my lying eyes just like this team."

Another good highlight has Xavier at #57...

"The Musketeers brawled their way down here and have to fight their way back up. Right now, it is all going wrong. Even head coach Chris Mack can't catch a break. He injured a knee taking part in layup lines. When Shaka Smart dives on the floor with his team, Final Four. When Mack does layup lines with his, emergency room. Bummer."

Bracketology has us slotted as a 10 seed, playing in Louisville the first round. (which would be awesome.)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Just some good water-cooler talk for those interested. Go bills! Let's hammer Temple on Wednesday.

#12 in http://kenpom.com/

Bilas has us at #30 http://insider.espn....jump-no-17-no-6 Insider is necessary for this, but Jay says:

"Lost in overtime at Dayton, which does not really hurt the Billikens. This team is solid but must control tempo to win. The numbers love Saint Louis, while my lying eyes just like this team."

Another good highlight has Xavier at #57...

"The Musketeers brawled their way down here and have to fight their way back up. Right now, it is all going wrong. Even head coach Chris Mack can't catch a break. He injured a knee taking part in layup lines. When Shaka Smart dives on the floor with his team, Final Four. When Mack does layup lines with his, emergency room. Bummer."

Bracketology has us slotted as a 10 seed, playing in Louisville the first round. (which would be awesome.)

http://espn.go.com/m...ll/bracketology

Just some good water-cooler talk for those interested. Go bills! Let's hammer Temple on Wednesday.

Cue the billikenboard "expert" comment that there is no way the A-10 will get 4 teams in the dance in 3, 2, 1....

Obviously, these bracketologies this early are just for fun and there are a ton of games to play but that would be a fabulous bracket from our perspective. Not only would you get to play in Louisville, the potential second round match-up would be Indiana, a team that is going to have to win on the road (sound familiar?) before I believe they are a 2 seed caliber. KU at a 3 seed is no great shakes either.

Another enjoyable bit is ESPN predicting our chances of making the sweet 16 at 24.4%. This prediction was before the loss at Dayton (dated 1/3) but is nice to see nonetheless. Xavier's chances are pegged at 5%, Temple's are 9.8%.

We lost to his #2 team on the road by 4 and his #10 team on the road in OT, yet "we've peaked" according to this guy. Give me a break.

To be fair to the writer, he's been very complimentary of SLU until this pyramid. This was a change for him after a couple tough losses.

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/34283566 I'm assuming this would go in the "not good reads" thread actually, but does mention Billikens.

any talk of non bcs team power rankings imo has to begin with murray state at this point until they lose. i believe they will be the last team in the country to lose and that might not happen until the 2nd or 3rd round of the ncaa tourney (later if the committee actually gives them a 1 or 2 seed).

any talk of non bcs team power rankings imo has to begin with murray state at this point until they lose. i believe they will be the last team in the country to lose and that might not happen until the 2nd or 3rd round of the ncaa tourney (later if the committee actually gives them a 1 or 2 seed).

I bet they end up with a mid-tier seed (6-8) similar to what GW got a few years back when they were 30-1 or something like that, and the only worthy team in the A-10.

I bet they end up with a mid-tier seed (6-8) similar to what GW got a few years back when they were 30-1 or something like that, and the only worthy team in the A-10.

i agree that is what will happen.

i agree that is what will happen.

And then one of two things will happen. Either they'll A.) go on a run and the experts will talk about how they just couldn't believe Murray State was so underrated going in; or B.) will lose their first game and the experts will talk about how they just couldn't believe Murray State was so overrated going in.

If they are completely undefeated on Selection Sunday they will probably get a 4 or 5. Their SOS right now is 158 and they still have ~14 more games to play against the Ohio Valley.

they also havent lost to loyola marymount and they have beaten dayton. their schedule isnt good, but like our billikens, that is probably more a matter no one will play them either.

That was 2006. GW went 26-2, got an 8-seed, and lost to 1-seed Duke in the second round.

That was 2006. GW went 26-2, got an 8-seed, and lost to 1-seed Duke in the second round.

The resumes are pretty similar, too. GW had a very weak OOC schedule and the A-10 was pretty bad that season. They lost in the quarters of the A-10 tourney after going 26-1 during the regular season, including 16-0 in conference play. Their lone regular season loss was to NC State on the road by 21 points. That A-10 tourney loss was all the committee needed to drop GW all the way down to an 8 seed, after being #6 in the AP Poll the week before.

and considering how bad the ohio valley is, if murray state indeed does lose a game prior to selection sunday, even in their conference tourney, they deserve to be knocked down. but if they are undefeated, and the only undefeated team.....that is the question.

not since 1979 has a non bcs team put the tourney in such a spot and there wasnt 68 teams then. the college basketball world would go crazy for murray state vs the big boys.

Murray State will have a prominent match-up (at home I think) in the BracketBuster event. That will help their RPI. I think they would get a 3 or 4 see if undefeated.

That is true. With their current path, they will wind up playing a similar team to Long Beach State, Wichita State, St. Mary's, etc. at home

RE: Norlander's CBS Non-BCS Power Pyramid, Week 9

To be fair to the writer, he's been very complimentary of SLU until this pyramid. This was a change for him after a couple tough losses.

Yes, and he still thinks SLU "staggers into the tournament", ranks us with Temple, and invites us to rip him down the road for being wrong. Step one: BEAT TEMPLE!

Meanwhile, my only issue with him is "What happened to Week 8?"