recruiting

wgstl

Thanks, Mr. Bizzle. i stand corrected. I remember sitting with Sign Kid at the Smith Center in DC when I first predicted that. And I was wrong. I thought I was going to stay quiet until it happened. And I was wrong.

And overal lI'm happy to be wrong ---- still would like to see JJ up his FG/FT% but he's only a sophomore, right?

I would say he has definitely improved his FG% this season thru the 1st 10 games (53.7%--very good for a guard), but that FT % is terrible (51.5%). Considering he gets to the line quite a bit, you would hope that he can improve on that over the next couple of seasons, and perhaps even this season.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Per the story that was relayed from a BillikenClub meeting (which could have been mis-interpreted) it probably would be a violation as he was given the money by the Athletic Department to pay for the class, spent it elsewhere and now doesn't have the money to graduate. If the school waived the fee for the class, it would effectively be as if the Athletic Department gave him cash. That only works at some schools :rolleyes:

Bigger picture, why does EVERY conversation about recruiting on this board have to turn into a "morality of players leaving the program" theme. We've got 3 schollys coming due in this junior class. What kids are we currently recruiting in the JUNIOR class?

I can't believe they would actually give him the money to allow him the opportunity to spend it. That's crazy.

I can't believe they would actually give him the money to allow him the opportunity to spend it. That's crazy.

-i dont understand that either, i would have thought each semester someone in the adept creates a list for all scholarships and sends it to someone in dubourg to credit individual student accounts so the students don't actually see the cash

-if BE actually got cash/check i cannot believe he is the first person to take a detour with that money on the way to the cashier's office to pay their tuition, imagine the temptation

-so this explanation seems off kilter

-i dont understand that either, i would have thought each semester someone in the adept creates a list for all scholarships and sends it to someone in dubourg to credit individual student accounts so the students don't actually see the cash

-if BE actually got cash/check i cannot believe he is the first person to take a detour with that money on the way to the cashier's office to pay their tuition, imagine the temptation

-so this explanation seems off kilter

I can't speak for how the full ride basketball scholarships work, but for multiple other sports I can guarantee that the scholarship "money" received is nothing more than a credit on your tuition statement. No checks are issued, it's just applied against your tuition bill.

EDIT: This is information limited to the 2006-2009 academic years, which fortunately happens to encompass Barry's time as a member of the team.

I can't speak for how the full ride basketball scholarships work, but for multiple other sports I can guarantee that the scholarship "money" received is nothing more than a credit on your tuition statement. No checks are issued, it's just applied against your tuition bill.

EDIT: This is information limited to the 2006-2009 academic years, which fortunately happens to encompass Barry's time as a member of the team.

i would doubt that as long as barry eberhardt has been out of slu that he is getting athletic scholarship money/credits anymore. my guess is he was indeed paying for it himself with either a grant or a student/parent loan which indeed could have come directly to him to use (many times the need for a grant or loan is to pay housing or living expenses not necessarily just tuition. my daughter gets a sizeable portion of her money sent directly to her or me to pay expenses with).

now the fact that slu was expecting money for tuition, it is a little bewildering that whomever was handling the registration for slu didnt have a better handle on where that money was coming from and that eberhardt wasnt tied up further. he shouldnt have been allowed in the classes in the first place if solid arrangements or paid in full werent solidified up front. especially with it being an athletic department situation which could undoubtedly add focus to the happenings at slu from big daddy ncaa. .

Thanks, Mr. Bizzle. i stand corrected. I remember sitting with Sign Kid at the Smith Center in DC when I first predicted that. And I was wrong. I thought I was going to stay quiet until it happened. And I was wrong.

And overal lI'm happy to be wrong ---- still would like to see JJ up his FG/FT% but he's only a sophomore, right?

Thanks, Mr. Bizzle. I thought Taj Mahal 79 named JJ as a transfer candidate on numerous occasions, but didn't want to dothe research. Uh... Mr.Taj Mahal, can we revisit that you had his bags packed and the cab out in front of his dorm?

I think Slu 72 is in line for an apology as well.

(Forget that telepathic BS comment I made earlier.)

i would doubt that as long as barry eberhardt has been out of slu that he is getting athletic scholarship money/credits anymore. my guess is he was indeed paying for it himself with either a grant or a student/parent loan which indeed could have come directly to him to use (many times the need for a grant or loan is to pay housing or living expenses not necessarily just tuition. my daughter gets a sizeable portion of her money sent directly to her or me to pay expenses with).

now the fact that slu was expecting money for tuition, it is a little bewildering that whomever was handling the registration for slu didnt have a better handle on where that money was coming from and that eberhardt wasnt tied up further. he shouldnt have been allowed in the classes in the first place if solid arrangements or paid in full werent solidified up front. especially with it being an athletic department situation which could undoubtedly add focus to the happenings at slu from big daddy ncaa. .

What we were told was that the money for some reason goes to the kid and the kid is suppose to turn it over to the school - some kind of a rule - Barry kept the money and never paid the bill. You can not blame SLU in this case it is clearly a case of the kid being bone headed.

Look I agree with your first part completely. Now the second part I have some doubts on - could it have been as simple as they put BE on a monthly payment system and he simply did not pay all the months he owed. I have no problem with them letting him finish the classes since until they release the diploma he has not graduated or earned a degree. When I was at a major school district, we had kids/parents who would try to stiff you all the time on lost books, fees, uniforms not being returned and these were for the most part people who had plenty of money. Nobody every lost much sleep over it because sooner or later they and to pony up or if they moved the transcript did not get forwarded to the new school which meant they had not actually earned any credit as far as the new school was concerned or they would graduate and not get their diploma/ transcripts marked completed. Now technically this was against the law - most did not know this - but all you had to do was hold your ground. When they told you that they were going to sue you then all you said was fine but it will cost you much more in lawyer fees then what you owe me. Stupid these parents were not and so they would then pay up. Sooner or later the school gets you as long as they are patient and this is what is happening with Barry. By the way for those of you who doubt the story then all I can say is then RM is lying and he would have no reason to do so.