Poll watch

BLIKNS

Seen #21 Memphis got beat, Greighton lost, Alabama lost, Harvard was beaten as well, this week.

We didn`t get any wow factor wins to jump out at voters, but you never know.

Indiana will most likely make the top 25, and Murray State is 9-0 might make some noise, anyone other possible newcomers?

The way to the polls is this .. win the next three at home and make the splash in Alburquerque on New Year's Eve. That's the national splash needed to enter the Monday, January 2 poll. Which would make us ranked heading into Dayton, which will serve to fire Dayton up ..... after losing at home to Buffalo, they barely squeaked one out yesterday against South Carolina Upstate. Yet they beat ranekd Alabama at home. The true sign of an emotional, up-and-d-own team.

I don't think Harvard's loss to UConn will get them booted. Creighton and Alabama might be out. But what's really important right now for the Bills is to get back to playing like they did against UW, Nova, and OK. Granted a W's a W, but we've been a little sloppy w/ the ball lately and not as crisp as we were at the '76 championship. As you said last week, Taj Mahal '79, just win, baby and the polls will take care of themselves. That UD game is scary. No doubt UD is an enigma, but they've got revenge in mind and if we go in ranked their gonna be stoked and the sweater vests will be screaming for Billiken Blood.

ps: Charley Sheen's buddy, Stamos, gave him a shot of Billiken Blood, but the big wuss found it too potent. He then switched to Tiger Blood which is bottled up in Boone County. :ph34r: :ph34r:

We should be about even with Creighton and Alabama in the "Also Receiving Votes" section, just based on the eye test. The fact that they crept so high, though (neither could justify a ranking in the teens), means they'll have more votes than SLU will. Cleveland State and Northern Iowa, a couple other non-BCS conference 1-loss teams, should be in the same area as this bunch.

Harvard played a higher-ranked opponent really tough on the road. They aren't budging. Murray State is way better than anyone realized; hopefully this poll reflects that and rewards them. Indiana clearly should make a big jump. Stanford is now 8-1 with the loss coming to Syracuse, so they'll be close to the top 25.

We should be about even with Creighton and Alabama in the "Also Receiving Votes" section, just based on the eye test. The fact that they crept so high, though (neither could justify a ranking in the teens), means they'll have more votes than SLU will. Cleveland State and Northern Iowa, a couple other non-BCS conference 1-loss teams, should be in the same area as this bunch.

Harvard played a higher-ranked opponent really tough on the road. They aren't budging. Murray State is way better than anyone realized; hopefully this poll reflects that and rewards them. Indiana clearly should make a big jump. Stanford is now 8-1 with the loss coming to Syracuse, so they'll be close to the top 25.

I agree for the most part. I think Harvard stays where they are, around 24 or 25. Indiana shoots up to around #15 with that win against #1 Kentucky. Both Creighton and Alabama fall out along with Memphis. Memphis falls the furthest in the 'Others Receiving Votes' while Alabama and Creighton will be at the top of that list, and one of them might still stay in the top 25, as both of their losses were on the road to not-bad teams (Dayton and St. Joes.) Saint Louis will be around 4th or 5th in the 'Others' category, and Murray State should be able to sneak in around #25. Also, Michigan State and Gonzaga will probably flip-flop this week.

That puts us at 34 in the coaches, and this puts us at 31 in the AP

Tom Timmermann @tomtimm

• SLU at 31 in this week's AP poll, just ahead of Gonzaga, Memphis; Xavier holds at 8, Mizzou 10, Illinois up to 19
EDIT:

Tom Timmermann @tomtimm

• Let me revise that: SLU is at 32, down a spot from last week. Didn't notice a tie for 25 tween Creighton, Vandy. Big jumps from IU, Murray

That puts us at 34 in the coaches, and this puts us at 31 in the AP

Tom Timmermann @tomtimm

• SLU at 31 in this week's AP poll, just ahead of Gonzaga, Memphis; Xavier holds at 8, Mizzou 10, Illinois up to 19
EDIT:

Tom Timmermann @tomtimm

• Let me revise that: SLU is at 32, down a spot from last week. Didn't notice a tie for 25 tween Creighton, Vandy. Big jumps from IU, Murray

A little surprised that both Creighton and Alabama held onto Top 25 rankings. I thought one of them would fall out, most likely Creighton. It is nice to see Oklahoma get a little love in the Coaches Poll.

A little surprised that both Creighton and Alabama held onto Top 25 rankings. I thought one of them would fall out, most likely Creighton. It is nice to see Oklahoma get a little love in the Coaches Poll.

It's probably gonna take winning out and beating NM to crack it again before conf play because out next 3 opponents don't have any glitz. Again, the important thing is for them to take care of business. Also we'll need the 20-25 group to lose a game or two.

It's probably gonna take winning out and beating NM to crack it again before conf play because out next 3 opponents don't have any glitz. Again, the important thing is for them to take care of business. Also we'll need the 20-25 group to lose a game or two.

-that game on new yrs eve is a huge opportunity (will be available on the mtn network so sports package subscribers will have it) followed up at the sweater vests, but we need to take care of business to get to that point, no stumbles boys

-to me we have not played to the same level we had in anaheim, if we play to that level we can play with anyone, i believe that

-we control our own destiny, like we have in every previous season

Yeah, I think the fact they stayed undefeated longer than a bunch of other similar teams catapulted them into the teens, and it would take a really bad loss to drop from there in one week. Creighton's best win was a 2-point win over SDSU; Alabama has a nice win over Purdue and a lot of solid-but-not-signature wins (Wichita State, Maryland, Oakland, VCU, Detroit) but hasn't beaten anyone ranked and lost two in a row to Georgetown and a schizophrenic Dayton.

I also found it interesting that Xavier held in one poll and dropped a spot in the other. They must factor in boxing.

I don't know what Murray State has to do to get in the Coaches' poll. Sheesh. 6-3 Vandy makes both and Harvard is first out in both? I know it's early but that doesn't seem right. It's definitely crowded in the 20-35 range, and SLU has to stay undefeated at home and probably beat New Mexico to make it back in.

Then again, our friend in Houston showed us a lot of these voters are asleep at the wheel, so who knows how this will play out on a week-to-week basis.

Yeah, I think the fact they stayed undefeated longer than a bunch of other similar teams catapulted them into the teens, and it would take a really bad loss to drop from there in one week. Creighton's best win was a 2-point win over SDSU; Alabama has a nice win over Purdue and a lot of solid-but-not-signature wins (Wichita State, Maryland, Oakland, VCU, Detroit) but hasn't beaten anyone ranked and lost two in a row to Georgetown and a schizophrenic Dayton.

I also found it interesting that Xavier held in one poll and dropped a spot in the other. They must factor in boxing.

I don't know what Murray State has to do to get in the Coaches' poll. Sheesh. 6-3 Vandy makes both and Harvard is first out in both? I know it's early but that doesn't seem right. It's definitely crowded in the 20-35 range, and SLU has to stay undefeated at home and probably beat New Mexico to make it back in.

Then again, our friend in Houston showed us a lot of these voters are asleep at the wheel, so who knows how this will play out on a week-to-week basis.

I am sure this plays a lot into it. Most likely some voters saw Harvard lost, and then dropped them down automatically without realizing it was their first loss and it was to a top 10 UConn team at UConn.