Seniors and Juniors

Billikan

We have had many debates on this board about our team the past few years, particularly last year when we lost by far our best two players just before the season started. We have had to play with freshman and sophs playing big minutes and taking on important roles on the team. The results were predictable with many mistakes including turnovers and lapses on defense. The teams did not consistantly execute on the offensive or defensive end.

Fast forward to this year and although it is still early and we could still fall on our collective faces, it is much more unlikely that will happen because for the first time in many years we have high quality depth and some fine senior and junior leaders. As a diehard fan I was very disappointed that I could not attend yesterday because I was out of town but I watched the game on TV and several thing really stood out:

1. Kyle C had a fantastic game. If you watch the tape he was playing the game of his life on defense, in the face of bigger and more athletic guards and he chased them all around the court-and he had 4 steals!. On offense, he was senior steady with his ball handling--7 assists and no turnovers against a team that was very tough.

2. Brian Conklin, our second senior has improved so much it is almost hard to believe he is the same player. His footwork is masterful and he is tough as nails going to the basket. His free throw shooting is much improved and he fights hard on defense. He is a completely different player than he was as a frosh and the staff gets huge credit for helping him become a truly effective low post threat.

3. KM had his best game yet since he came back and his confidence and assured demeanor was obvious to all, including his own teammates. As a redshirt junior he now has the savvy and toughness of a seasoned vet and he really played good defense as well.

4. Cody Ellis is a much tougher and more disciplined player both on offense and on defense. He is starting to really play big and can crash the boards--he also has become a very effective big on the blocks when he gets position and blocks out for rebounds. The part of his game that is yet to come around is his long range shooting but the other aspects of his game have really come along. He is only a year and a half into his career but he is so much better and tougher on the inside.

This is not intended to minimize the contributions of our other 5 players who are all making excellent contributions but the fact is that we now have seniors and juniors who have demonstrated what we have been missing--the toughness, leadership and court awareness that comes from working in the Majerus system for two or more years. Go Bills!

4. Cody Ellis is a much tougher and more disciplined player both on offense and on defense. He is starting to really play big and can crash the boards--he also has become a very effective big on the blocks when he gets position and blocks out for rebounds. The part of his game that is yet to come around is his long range shooting but the other aspects of his game have really come along. He is only a year and a half into his career but he is so much better and tougher on the inside.

Did anyone else think that CE swatted the 7 footer's shot cleanly? I was pretty jacked by that play, regardless of the foul call.

Cody has taken on the first big off the bench role well. He could be a really solid role player for us this year and maybe have a few breakout games.

The block was clean but Cody did get him with the body so it could've gone either way.

No doubt our guards played a great game especially on D against their bigger guards. But I really thought it was our inside guys that made the difference. Conk's play was obvious. Not so obvious was RL doing some text book blocking out on the D boards. Remekun even asserting himself. CE no doubt is grasping the complete player role RM wants him to become. Would have been nice had those 3's dropped, but they were all good looks and he's proven you don't want to give him a clean look at the basket. They'll start dropping and that will add yet another dimension to this team. Billikan's right, though, it's good to finally have this kind of experience on the floor.

We looked fantastic from where I sat watching on TV. For those having issues with only 6800 in attendance, c'mon man --- we are still crawling back to relevance at this point. On a Sunday. A Sunday morning. With an NFL game in town. And an 1100 tip? No issue here. That was likely the most perfect half of basketball I have ever witnessed in my 35+ years of association with Billiekn basketball. Sure, we've obliterated Lewis University. And Florida A&M. And Tennessee State. That WAS Washington.

BC got schnockered at home last night by in-state rival Umass. Final was 82 to 46. They have also been blown out by in-state rival Holy Cross. They have nine freshmen on the team. We need to do the same, if not worse to them on Turkey Day. Carving anyone? My buddy who is a Nova alum says the Cats are young. Those would be two nice wins for this team and our resume as we maneuver thru the OCC schedule. Payback will come in March. Bank some cachet now.

A good to great team does to teams at home what we did to Washington. Watching that game, I felt we were Duke and the Huskies were us in last year's TV contest. A good to great team also takes care of inferior opponents on a neutral court. Here comes Anaheim. A good to great team sweeps up at home and wins 50/50 games on the road. LMU is doable. I like how this season is starting out; bunking with the shoes in the AC is looking all the more enjoyable.

We hit our outside shots, which opened the lane for Conklin to work. Conklin looked like Bobby Brannen out there (ESPECIALLY the mind-seperating pick in the second half!). Loe making those early two treys made Washington respect him. Kwamain hitting his ditto. Cassity made his. Mccall joined in. It was the literal perfect storm. Couple that with the usual defense and 50 to 25 was attained. Ellis was a different interior person and I too believe he blocked that 7-foot Redwood cleanly. I wish Suggs could have played. Bruenig impressed me with his athleticism and I wish he were one of us. Looking forward to lots of Billiken TV ball this weekend.

We can improve. I'd love to see someone find the missing Jake Barnett. If he is indeed another Cassity/coach-on-the-floor type, I want another one of those. Mitchell and McCall can run the point. Jett still concerns me --- as a point with the ball in his hands at the end of a game, he still has problems with foul shots. And I saw the SIU highlights -- he made layups and still is lacking in a mid-range jumper in my opinion. But his hustle is huge. He's great on getting to the rim and making layups and plays great defense. Still I want my point making free throws at the end of a game if the ball is in his hands. Remekun remains best in limited doses. I have no problem letting Manning and Glaze develop for a while.

Sunday's game was a testament to what it can be lik ewhen its all working. I am liking our start. I can't help but wonder what might have been with the Reed in there but cie la vie. Let's keep bring the lunch pails.

And I saw the SIU highlights -- he made layups and still is lacking in a mid-range jumper

You aren't watching your tv close enough. Jett has improved his midrange jumper drastically this year. His free throw shooting is still a big concern though

You aren't watching your tv close enough. Jett has improved his midrange jumper drastically this year. His free throw shooting is still a big concern though

Taj just won't let that Jett mid-range thing go. Jett was solid with his shot from 12-15 feet last year and he has made some again in the early going this year, including a nice baseline shot on Sunday.

Taj just won't let that Jett mid-range thing go. Jett was solid with his shot from 12-15 feet last year and he has made some again in the early going this year, including a nice baseline shot on Sunday.

Jett didn't shoot the ball well last year from the mid-range or really anywhere not at the basket, but the big issue with him was his turnover mumbers.

It appears he has his turnover problem under control right now. He has 8 assists to three turnovers.

Jett didn't shoot the ball well last year from the mid-range or really anywhere not at the basket, but the big issue with him was his turnover mumbers.

It appears he has his turnover problem under control right now. He has 8 assists to three turnovers.

That may be your perception, but the numbers tell a different story. Near the end of last season, somebody on the board ( I don't remember who), did a very detailed statistical analysis of every Jett shot attempt from mid-range. It showed that he made a solid percentage of those shots. In the early going this season he has made his share and will likely continue to improve that element of his game. He is particularly effective with the pull-up mid-range shot off the dribble. His weaknesses are that his range doesn't extend out to the 3-point line... yes, turnovers were a problem last year and he needs to improve the free throws.

That may be your perception, but the numbers tell a different story. Near the end of last season, somebody on the board ( I don't remember who), did a very detailed statistical analysis of every Jett shot attempt from mid-range. It showed that he made a solid percentage of those shots. In the early going this season he has made his share and will likely continue to improve that element of his game. He is particularly effective with the pull-up mid-range shot off the dribble. His weaknesses are that his range doesn't extend out to the 3-point line... yes, turnovers were a problem last year and he needs to improve the free throws.

That was me...I came up with about 40% for Jett from mid-range, which isn't awesome, but isn't bad, especially for a freshman guard. At the very least it showed that he can shoot from the mid-range with some efficiency. In the 3 games this season, his mid-range shot is looking even better, IMO.

That was me...I came up with about 40% for Jett from mid-range, which isn't awesome, but isn't bad, especially for a freshman guard. At the very least it showed that he can shoot from the mid-range with some efficiency. In the 3 games this season, his mid-range shot is looking even better, IMO.

So far this year, Jett has made 6 of his 11 shots for a 54.5% FG%. He has taken no three's, so he's all 6 for 11 inside the arc.

I didn't see him featured in either the Tennessee State or Washington highlight videos, outside of two totally awesome assists in the Washington game. He had one layup at around :50 of the SIU video, another layup on the fast break around 1:20, and another one just after 1:40. He also had four excellent passes that lead to three open three's and a layup.

So, at least 3 of his 6 baskets this year were layups. I think his one basket in the UW game may have been as well. I hope his jumper improves, but if he can score at the rim, and make good passes off of dribble drives and around the perimeter, he's going to be very valuable.

So far this year, Jett has made 6 of his 11 shots for a 54.5% FG%. He has taken no three's, so he's all 6 for 11 inside the arc.

I didn't see him featured in either the Tennessee State or Washington highlight videos, outside of two totally awesome assists in the Washington game. He had one layup at around :50 of the SIU video, another layup on the fast break around 1:20, and another one just after 1:40. He also had four excellent passes that lead to three open three's and a layup.

So, at least 3 of his 6 baskets this year were layups. I think his one basket in the UW game may have been as well. I hope his jumper improves, but if he can score at the rim, and make good passes off of dribble drives and around the perimeter, he's going to be very valuable.

His bucket against UDub was a 15 foot jumper off the dribble.

Jett's strength is really his best asset. He has been noticeably stronger than every guard he has faced and he knows that he can go all out on Defense because he has my main man McCall ready to come in as soon as he gets tired.

That I beleive is the biggest differences this season. Guys know that if they "ration energy" than they will sit because there is someone on the bench who is just as good as them ready to come in and give 100%. I would love to see the competition in practice. You know that guys like Barnett are going all out to try to crack that 9 man rotation and guys like JJ and MM are giving their all to hold them off. This is what it takes to be good.

Btw does anyone else think Majerus got Crews on the staff with such short notice, because he said something like "Jim, trust me, we are making a run this year, come enjoy the ride wth me"

-Nick

His bucket against UDub was a 15 foot jumper off the dribble.

There we go, I stand corrected.

His two baskets against TSU were a layup and then a jumper.

So of his makes, four have been at the rim and two have been 15+ footers. Dunno about the misses, but he's definitely scoring more at the rim.

Yep, jbiz and i were leading that charge. I believe he had and has a quality mid-range game. It can get better and he has to get better with FT's.

"Taj just won't let that Jett mid-range thing go."

True -- but I'm working on it, I swear I really am. Right now, I give Jett plus on the ledger, I will gladly accept his hustle, defenses, strength and lack of turnovers over his hjumper and hsi foul shooting. I want him on my team.

I will not, however, put him on the floor to close out a close game. My foul-shooting five would be Conklin, Ellis, Mitchell, McCall and Cassity at this point. Jett is an offensive/defensive substitution -- heavy on the defensive end.

Anybody else notice that Conklin's previous career game was against 6'11" Kenny Frease? The he chews up seven-foot N'diaye for his new career high? the opposition has to put the smalle rbig on the perimeter to guard Loe. If this is any indication of what Conk can do that is fantastic! Proof positive of what four year players can become.

"Taj just won't let that Jett mid-range thing go."

True -- but I'm working on it, I swear I really am. Right now, I give Jett plus on the ledger, I will gladly accept his hustle, defenses, strength and lack of turnovers over his hjumper and hsi foul shooting. I want him on my team.

I will not, however, put him on the floor to close out a close game. My foul-shooting five would be Conklin, Ellis, Mitchell, McCall and Cassity at this point. Jett is an offensive/defensive substitution -- heavy on the defensive end.

Anybody else notice that Conklin's previous career game was against 6'11" Kenny Frease? The he chews up seven-foot N'diaye for his new career high? the opposition has to put the smalle rbig on the perimeter to guard Loe. If this is any indication of what Conk can do that is fantastic! Proof positive of what four year players can become.

Conklin, imo, is a classic example of a smart hardworking player who can be "coached up" by a coach like Rick M. He came in with almost no low post cleverness--but a lot of energy--and he now has some of the moves of classic drop step and go around players like the old Celtics. Cassidy is another example-- except on the defensive end--he arrived as a smart and energetic player who could not guard anyone off the dribble. Now he is as fundamentally sound a defender as we could have and he runs the offense with KM beautifully. If you give RM and this staff 2-3 years with players who are smart and have an intense dedication to get better they do not have to be 5 star recruits for them to be very good players by their junior and senior years. I actually think losing our two assistants may have been a blessing in disguise because you now have two more very experienced head coaches to really work with and teach our kids in addition to Coach M. Go Bills!

That was a well-researched post. Nice job.