Windsor recap

You must have missed the 1950's era photo of the team jersey with "St. Louis" across the front. That snobbish obsession with the university name being spelled out "Saint Louis University" (like "The Ohio State University") is a recent invention, and a sad one at that. If memory serves Bonwich posted the old photo on this board.

I dont think you can call something snobbish if it is simply being spelled the way it is supposed to be spelled. "St." is an abbreviation for the spelling of "Saint".

I still wish they had legit uniforms in the spirit shop. I got one last year that was pretty weak.

You need to stop talking about things you aren't familiar with....The jerseys in the spirit shop are very close to the ones used a couple years ago. See: the team pictures. One of the walk-ons is wearing the old ones. From what I have been told they will have replica shorts and jerseys updated this year.

You need to stop talking about things you aren't familiar with....The jerseys in the spirit shop are very close to the ones used a couple years ago. See: the team pictures. One of the walk-ons is wearing the old ones. From what I have been told they will have replica shorts and jerseys updated this year.

I dont think you can call something snobbish if it is simply being spelled the way it is supposed to be spelled. "St." is an abbreviation for the spelling of "Saint".

Perhaps, perhaps not. What would be the motivation behind the demand to spell out "Saint" instead of the abbreviation "St."? The only one that comes to mind is the desire to disassociate the university with the city. No, we're not a public school but SLU is inextricably linked with St. Louis, not Saint Louis. If someone can offer another explanation for the fanatical demand to spell out "Saint" other than misguided snobbery then take a crack at it. It's wasted breath in my view.

1980s, I believe. I think I posted some stationery from the '70s that had "St." all over it.

That said, I have found proof that "Saint Louis University" is correct AP Style. I'm working on it -- although it took me about three years to get University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and University of Missouri-St. Louis to be printed correctly in our fine publication. B)

Then it wasn't you Bonwich. It was a photo and definitely prior to the 80's. Here is Easy Ed. Can't quite make out the full jersey but I'd bet cash money it says "St. Louis" on his jersey.

http://www.life.com/image/tlp699554

Here is another one. Getting warmer.

http://myvintagephotos.com/product_info.php?products_id=66

Jackpot.

http://www.slubillikens.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112710aaa.html

Easy Ed desecrated the university by wearing "St. Louis" across his chest.

They have not had replice shorts in the team store ever from anything I can remember. The reversable nike practice jerseys with the net design on the back are cool but I dont care about jerseys. There have been a couple of pairs of white shorts over the past years that were cool enough to buy but the team store never had team. Would assume the bookstore would not have them either but have not actually checked because there is no close place to park over there and the hours suck

Letrell Sports is not Nike.

Perhaps, perhaps not. What would be the motivation behind the demand to spell out "Saint" instead of the abbreviation "St."? The only one that comes to mind is the desire to disassociate the university with the city. No, we're not a public school but SLU is inextricably linked with St. Louis, not Saint Louis. If someone can offer another explanation for the fanatical demand to spell out "Saint" other than misguided snobbery then take a crack at it. It's wasted breath in my view.

The motivation would be to be to align itself with the correct spelling of the city's name. According to the USPS, there is no city by the name of St. Louis in Missouri. However, there is a Saint Louis. Try looking up a zip code on the USPS site with an address, put in the city St. Louis, and add the state. It will tell you there is no city by that name. Yes, I know, mail still gets delivered to St. Louis. But, the official name is Saint Louis, not the abreviated form.

Again, there is no snobishness involved and no effort to separate the school from the city.

The motivation would be to be to align itself with the correct spelling of the city's name. According to the USPS, there is no city by the name of St. Louis in Missouri. However, there is a Saint Louis. Try looking up a zip code on the USPS site with an address, put in the city St. Louis, and add the state. It will tell you there is no city by that name. Yes, I know, mail still gets delivered to St. Louis. But, the official name is Saint Louis, not the abreviated form.

Again, there is no snobishness involved and no effort to separate the school from the city.

oh the old "miracle on 34th street" strategy. let the post office prove your case. :D

On my 80-81 media guide David Burns is dunking on a hapless Hokie while wearing a home white jersey with St. Louis on the front.

My earliest memory of watching the Billikens is of David Burns. He was unstoppable those two seasons. I know I went to games in the 70's but the Checkerdome years are a blur. Can't imagine what would have caused that. :)