Ellenson

bk18

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This kid sounds like a big time player. Hope we're not dropping the ball on his recruitment.

This board is so frustrating. Why do we jump to the negative? Why would anyone assume we're dropping the ball on his recruitment? Why not assume Rick and staff are working their asses off to land this kid? Slu72, I know you're a huge fan and this comment is not meant to call you out specifically.

It's discouraging that many posters look for or assume a negative is coming. There was a thread recently that started out positive, then morphed into a "Rick has to go if we don't win big this year" thread. I don't understand this feeling that we're all sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop (and saying that it always happens at SLU is not an excuse). How about enjoying the best roster we've had in decades, and not figuring out what position you will take if we don't win "enough" games to suit you? How about enjoying the recruiting success that Rick has had the past few years, instead of speculating that he might not be recruiting certain players as hard as some posters might like. The negativity of some posters on this board is exhausting.

Why assume that? Because it seems that lately when bigger programs start recruiting our targets we stop recruiting them.

Is there one kid that went to a big school where rick would have had a realistic chance to get him?

I don't doubt that you have talked to Berry about SLU. If you've been told that the sole reason he is losing interest in SLU is SLU's lack of interest in him, then I doubt you are getting the whole story.

I suspect RM will stay on Ellenson until Ellenson says, "Coach, I'm not interested in SLU." At that point, RM will move on, as he should.

I think RM will only recruit players he feels the staff has a good shot at getting which in general is a very good thing. But I think making that decision for a player just ensures you wont land any blue chippers. Thats why I hope we keep recruiting Ellenson until he tells us he is uniterested.

Thats something Philip Nolan, Malcolm Hill, and Nolan Berry never told our staff but we apparently stopped recruiting them nonetheless.

I think RM will only recruit players he feels the staff has a good shot at getting which in general is a very good thing. But I think making that decision for a player just ensures you wont land any blue chippers. Thats why I hope we keep recruiting Ellenson until he tells us he is uniterested.

Thats something Philip Nolan, Malcolm Hill, and Nolan Berry never told our staff but we apparently stopped recruiting them nonetheless.

NH. Please re-read your post. There is absolutely no way that you know our staff was told or not told by these recruits.

Also, just to be clear, confirm for us that most of your information from Nolan Berry is second hand. By that, I mean that you have a fellow high school acquiantance/friend who apparently knows and regularly speaks with Nolan Berry. You are not this acquitance or friend. Instead, you have had very few conversations, if any, with Nolan yourself.

My point: I find it incredible that we have Nolan Berry, a 6'8" and growing forward, who is not only talented but rising in national rankings (may be Top 50), who is clearly college material in that he goes to one of the best local high schools, 1 of the 2 local Jesuit schools, who plays on possibly the top local AAU team, and on top of all that, he is the grandson of the best basketball player to ever play at SLU, Easy Ed, who remains loyal to the schools (lifetime season ticket holder/donor) and upon whom the school regularly lauds honors... and yet you say that he had real interest in SLU, but not anymore since Porter left and since RM continues to snub him. Sorry, I just find this not be believable.

But I think making that decision for a player just ensures you wont land any blue chippers. Thats why I hope we keep recruiting Ellenson until he tells us he is uniterested.

"The defect in that one is bleach."

The defect in your argument is your assumption that RM/staff makes the decision for the kid. I couldn't care less what a kid tells you or a friend of a friend tells you because I don't believe they will tell you what really happened or their real feelings for SLU.

How many blue chippers will an 11 win SLU team that hasn't been to the tourney in 10 years land? Heck, how many blue chippers have we ever landed?

When the facts aren't in your favor, argue the law. When the law isn't in your favor, argue the facts. When neither is in your favor, just argue.

I think you are just arguing.

I know FIRST HAND about Berry. The others were based on interviews. Why would a player tell a coach he's not interested then in an interview say he is interested. I think our coaching staff, and I have as much reason to believe this as others have to not believe it, that the staff felt they wouldn't land those guys and decided to move on. That frustrates me

But while I have complaints I also trust them. I have complaints about TLR for the cards but at the end of the day he's a hall of famer.

If I were a coach id probably chase too prestigious of players and end up licking my wounds. And when were coming off of some NCAA runs in the next couple years perhaps the staff will take some more chances.

This board is so frustrating. Why do we jump to the negative? Why would anyone assume we're dropping the ball on his recruitment? Why not assume Rick and staff are working their asses off to land this kid? Slu72, I know you're a huge fan and this comment is not meant to call you out specifically.

It's discouraging that many posters look for or assume a negative is coming. There was a thread recently that started out positive, then morphed into a "Rick has to go if we don't win big this year" thread. I don't understand this feeling that we're all sitting around waiting for the other shoe to drop (and saying that it always happens at SLU is not an excuse). How about enjoying the best roster we've had in decades, and not figuring out what position you will take if we don't win "enough" games to suit you? How about enjoying the recruiting success that Rick has had the past few years, instead of speculating that he might not be recruiting certain players as hard as some posters might like. The negativity of some posters on this board is exhausting.

You're absolutely correct, majic. I had no reason to make that statement about RM or his staff staying on him. It's just that we seem pretty good at finding gems in the rough then the biggies come a calling and we get stood up. I imagine RM's strategy with a kid like this is if he continues to express sincere interest in SLU he stays active. But if he senses the interest is waning due to the kid leaning towards a BCS'er he starts to look elsewhere which is sound. It's too bad we can't get a commit early like we did with KM. As I recall he verballed early to us then hedged a little when Minnesota got involved. Luckily his mom put her foot down and said you'll honor your commit to SLU. And I am very happy with our current roster and expect something special this year. I think a couple of good years in a row just might get us over this recruiting hump with players like Ellinson.

I know FIRST HAND about Berry. The others were based on interviews. Why would a player tell a coach he's not interested then in an interview say he is interested. I think our coaching staff, and I have as much reason to believe this as others have to not believe it, that the staff felt they wouldn't land those guys and decided to move on. That frustrates me

But while I have complaints I also trust them. I have complaints about TLR for the cards but at the end of the day he's a hall of famer.

If I were a coach id probably chase too prestigious of players and end up licking my wounds. And when were coming off of some NCAA runs in the next couple years perhaps the staff will take some more chances.

Are you kidding? There are a thousand reasons. Face it. Both sides (coaches/schools on one side and players/parents/coaches/AAU brokers) use and manipulate the media every day. The pressures to go/stay local are present. By local, I don't just me SLU.

Comments not limited to Nolan but a kid's coach might really be pushing Mizzou, SLU or otherwise. The kid's classmates, teachers, friends, family, parents' boss, etc. might be pushing or hoping for a certain school. No doubt some kids like to have their ego stroked and being able to brag that they have 25 scholarships as opposed 15 for their friend. Also, until a kid actually chooses the out-of-state big school, he probably wants "safe" offers from SLU, Mizzou, SIUC, etc. Now, for a kid like Nolan, he probably doesn't "need" a local or "safe" school offer from SLU since he will have the pick of his choice among all the schools.

Further, I doubt many kids will look a local coach in the eye and say "I have no interest in your school." Instead, guys like RM simply have a certain knack, sense or feeling about a kid's intentions. RM has been doing this for years. Small and subtle signs are large clues. Very likely that RM read Nolan's true intentions (maybe Nolan truly thinks he expressed interest), expressed interest and left the door open but has not been knocking on the door each day because of what RM sensed. Again, I know that coaches pursue the recruits and that recruits don't necessarily pursue the coach, but if RM truly made a mistake and if Nolan really wants to follow in his grandfather's footsteps, then I'm sure we can arrange some phone calls, another meeting and even a date and time for Nolan to come down to SLU and sign a letter of intent - albeit non-binding.

Clock,

You're right.

I think in general RM makes the right call. I hope when were a little more successful he is willing to go after some bigger guys.

Ill never understand Berry but overall I agree.

Clock,

You're right.

I think in general RM makes the right call. I hope when were a little more successful he is willing to go after some bigger guys.

Ill never understand Berry but overall I agree.

what do you mean. I believe it's been established from Nate that he had an offer from SLU early. That would tell me he did go after the bigger guy. You have no idea what his conversations or his staff's conversations with anyone actually are, so how can you assume he isn't going after them. The difference seems to be that he knows when to back it off and put his efforts elsewhere. Under RM we have landed more guys that were being recruited by larger BCS schools than at any time in the last 20 years. That tells me we are going after bigger guys. Maybe not top 50 type guys, but looking at the state of our program over the last 10 years why would a top 50 consider us?

Nolan Berry had an offer when porter was here and then didn't after pm left. He was very interested in SLU and had we recruited him hard I have no doubt we would've been a fimalist.

Most of your post makes a lot of sense.

what do you mean. I believe it's been established from Nate that he had an offer from SLU early. That would tell me he did go after the bigger guy. You have no idea what his conversations or his staff's conversations with anyone actually are, so how can you assume he isn't going after them. The difference seems to be that he knows when to back it off and put his efforts elsewhere. Under RM we have landed more guys that were being recruited by larger BCS schools than at any time in the last 20 years. That tells me we are going after bigger guys. Maybe not top 50 type guys, but looking at the state of our program over the last 10 years why would a top 50 consider us?

I agree with you, Skip. I think instead of being frustrated that we aren't landing the big-time 4-5 star recruits like the BCS big boys, maybe we should realize that the level of talent that RM has been able to bring in, and continues to pursue and get commitments from, is consistently higher than anytime in recent history. I prefer to see RM's recruiting as very smart; instead of shooting for the moon on the players that will never seriously consider coming here and then being left with nothing and having to take scraps. RM has been around the block a little, and knows what he is doing when it comes to building a team.

Nolan Berry had an offer when porter was here and then didn't after pm left. He was very interested in SLU and had we recruited him hard I have no doubt we would've been a fimalist.

All of my post makes sense. Who rescinded the offer? Did Nolan not know Porter represented SLU. Did he think it was a personal offer? What happened to your earlier stance that SLU never offered? You were pretty strong about that earlier.

NH. You are not suggesting anyone at SLU withdrew an offer when Porter left, are you? Sure, the main and frequent contact (assistant coach Moser) left to be head coach at Loyola but how does this translate into Nolan no longer having an offer? Seems to me that if someone has an offer but later doesn't, someone must have taken an offer away. What am I missing?

I don't believe we called the kid and pulled the offer. If we had a shot at this kid I'm sure RM would be on his tail. If there's one thing RM has shown, he knows where to put his efforts in recruiting.

And Rick Majerus is still head coach. Even if Porter was lead recruiter, the offer would have come from Rick himself. Assistant coach leaving won't effect that.

I'm sure we would have been a finalist and when he announced he was going to Duke, Purdue, Mizzou, or Notre Dame, we'd all be sad. We've been to 5 NCAA tournaments in school history, most recently in 2000. Bottom line is, as many have pointed out, until we are winning, we're not going to land Top 50 recruits, no matter how close their families are to the program.

When a school stops talking to you and none of the coaches there ever really recruited you why would you assume you have an offer? And its the schools job to make sure a recruit feels wanted not vice versa.

And while I agree generally rm knows when to ease up and when to step on the gas I don't think he had reason to in berrys case. Its one recruit well move on. It just would've been really nice to land Nolan.

When a school stops talking to you and none of the coaches there ever really recruited you why would you assume you have an offer? And its the schools job to make sure a recruit feels wanted not vice versa.

And while I agree generally rm knows when to ease up and when to step on the gas I don't think he had reason to in berrys case. Its one recruit well move on. It just would've been really nice to land Nolan.

We never had a very good shot with Nolan. I don't care if he told you he has interest in us (And I believe you). RM knows what he's doing.