Friday's St Louis Regional

I attended Friday's regional games at the Jones Dome and came away pretty impressed with the whole scene.

Crowd listed at 30,801 in the box score. I thought I had terrible seats (section 115f row 28 behind the basket) until I saw several of SLU's biggest boosters about six rows in front of me and about 10,000 other fans behind me. Once the games got going I sort of forgot how bad my seat was. Running scores from the Atlanta regional was interesting. Xavier's progress brought a lot of cheers.

Nevada had a huge crowd considering that driving to the game was a limited option.

A couple of hundred Georgia Tech students stood during the game (closest seats to the floor) and blocked the view of other Georgia Tech fans behind them. A lot of complaining by the blocked fans, but the ushers weren't going to that settle that problem.

Plenty of tickets available on the streets near the Jones Dome.

Kansas played a near perfect game. I question if they can duplicate that effort again.

We came away from the games with a lukewarm impression of the job done running the event.

The announcer (Jacober?) was poor. He really lacked consistency in the calls he was making. He had 3 ways to call a made basket. He was also inconsistent with substitutions.

Though we would not know the difference, several Ga Tech fans near us were quite upset that they could not get the right players on the scoreboard after substitutions. They clearly thought the arrangement was unprofessional.

Maybe the NCAA forbids it, but I think showing the other game at half time would be a great deal for everyone in attendance.

No. Karraker is a sports talk show host on KTRS in st louis. He also hosts several sports related shows on Charter cable in st louis. Jim Holder is the "voice" of the EdJ (Edge) Dome for rams games...he also works at KTRS

i listened to holdoner today simply because of the couple of comments i read here before the game about his job on friday nite. overall, i thought jim did a fabulous job. he does what a pa announcer is supposed to do and i dont recall him embarrassing one player or fan the entire day.

I agree that his tone was very professional, it just seemed like he was trying to figure out how to announce for a basketabll game.

It is a rather minor thing in the big scheme, but having a guy trying to figure out how to call a game in not exactly championship caliber.

I am all for hiring Holder to do the Billiken games next year so he can work out the kinks for next season's national championships.

He will be a terrific upgrade over Guy