The Fab Five

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jalen Rose was speaking from the point of view he had when he was a 17yr old kid coming out of inner city Detroit. I think this is getting blown out of proportion.

Yes, but despite the controversy, he has not even come close to an apology.

If so, then good, but what I heard was far from an "apolgy", just justifying his statement in that he was 17 at the time, etc.

He apologized via twitter before the thing even aired. That may not be the most formal way to do it, but oh well. I think he should be able to justify what he said. I'm glad he told the truth about how he felt.

http://espn.go.com/?topId=6227808

please please PLEASE watch this.

DUDE GOES OFF! on uncle tomfoolery. flatout bucknasty argument from chris broussard. seriously, hate hate hate hate hate. every misguided, african-american (, all races) youth should see this commentary. it's not about being black. it's not about being white. it's about being your best self and excelling with all that you were given.

i almost never give a about the talking heads on ESPN or any tv show, but dude NAILED IT.

DUDE GOES OFF! on uncle tomfoolery. flatout bucknasty argument from chris broussard. seriously, hate hate hate hate hate. every misguided, african-american (######, all races) youth should see this commentary. it's not about being black. it's not about being white. it's about being your best self and excelling with all that you were given.

i almost never give a ###### about the talking heads on ESPN or any tv show, but dude NAILED IT.

'The one who is selling out your race is the one who is going to prison.' Wow! That was quite an impassioned monologue there.

DUDE GOES OFF! on uncle tomfoolery. flatout bucknasty argument from chris broussard. seriously, hate hate hate hate hate. every misguided, african-american (######, all races) youth should see this commentary. it's not about being black. it's not about being white. it's about being your best self and excelling with all that you were given.

i almost never give a ###### about the talking heads on ESPN or any tv show, but dude NAILED IT.

Broussard = "Mr. Make It Even Worse".

The documentary was great. Thanks for the links to the follow ups by the way.

Only comment I thought was regrettable was the Uncle Tom one. That saying has a pretty dark meaning to most. Even if Jalen was stating what he meant as a 17 y/o it would have been good to state he didn't feel that way now, or something like that (preferably not say it all).

When I think of the Fab Five, I think of the style they played with, not their greatness. They never were that good, and I knew they had a game in that tourney they were lucky to win. UCLA flat out choked against them, or this story would be far less compelling.

UK from last year was far better than the Fab Five freshman team.

How so? I thought what he said was very relevant and eloquent. He touched on something that few, if any, sports pundits could intelligently discuss.

He was not eloquent* by any means. Rambled. He was very defensive.

I think he could have handled the situation with a lot more delicacy, without bringing up every sterotype excuse for African American males.

His emphasis reinforced them as excuses rather than address Rose's unfortunate statements.

And he said Duke does not have enought African American players, so he was supporting Rose's unseemly position on the matter.

Not well done at all (the other guy was being polite, PC, so do not use him as a reference)

* eloquence: Obama, Reagan = 10, this guy was about a 4.

I think he could have handled the situation with a lot more delicacy, without bringing up every sterotype excuse for African American males.

His emphasis reinforced them as excuses rather than address Rose's unfortunate statements.

And he said Duke does not have enought African American players, so he was supporting Rose's unseemly position on the matter.

Not well done at all (the other guy was being polite, PC, so do not use him as a reference)

The guy may have been able to be a little more eloquent, but I give him credit for giving his honest opinion on the issue. He waded into a issue in a way that the politicans you listed would never have the balls to do.

IMO, he addressed the issue while avoiding a lot of the scapegoating that many of the people do when it comes to this issue. He didn't blame whites today for all the problems, but he did address some of the historical issues that do come into play.

First off, Jalen Rose made it very clear in the documentary that the way he felt about Grant Hill stemmed from jealousy and immaturity on his part...as an 18 year old kid!...

Secondly, Michigan isn't exactly your typical public school...They are one of the top public universities in the nation, and the last time I checked a Top 30 ranked school...So I find this all rather humorous...

Did you even watch the video that was presented? How could he have handled it with more delicacy? Or better yet, WHY? What he said was perfect...it emphasizes the conflict that occurs within the African American community. Never have I seen a 'sports personality' put it in such eloquent terms. He threw it in our face but without making it 'controversial' which is how Jason Whitlock, Scoop Jackson, Bernard Goldberg or Skip Bayless (the other guy in the video) would have played it. I appreciate the honesty that came forth from his mouth and think it was long overdue. If it hurt your tender sensibilities and brought forth issues you don't want to deal with, well perhaps your time has been passed by.

Did you even watch the video that was presented? How could he have handled it with more delicacy? Or better yet, WHY? What he said was perfect...it emphasizes the conflict that occurs within the African American community. Never have I seen a 'sports personality' put it in such eloquent terms. He threw it in our face but without making it 'controversial' which is how Jason Whitlock, Scoop Jackson, Bernard Goldberg or Skip Bayless (the other guy in the video) would have played it. I appreciate the honesty that came forth from his mouth and think it was long overdue. If it hurt your tender sensibilities and brought forth issues you don't want to deal with, well perhaps your time has been passed by.

Well said.

First off, Jalen Rose made it very clear in the documentary that the way he felt about Grant Hill stemmed from jealousy and immaturity on his part...as an 18 year old kid!...

Secondly, Michigan isn't exactly your typical public school...They are one of the top public universities in the nation, and the last time I checked a Top 30 ranked school...So I find this all rather humorous...

First off, what he said still matters, and I have not heard him apologize, just use the excuse that he was 18 at the time. A poster here said he really apologized, but I have not seen it, I think all Rose has really done was hide behind his age at the time.

Secondly, yes, Michigan is highly rated academically, but has jock courses to hide the dumb football types. Exercize Science or whatever. Duke and others (SLU!) do not have blatant jock majors to hide kids. Why doesn't Jalen Rose hate Princeton? Harvard? Yale? Cornell?

Well, he justified Rose's butt ugly statements by using a couple dozen unnecessary graphic 175 yr old excuses that perpetuate the stereotype. He made it worse. I'll bet a lot of distinguished AA leaders cringed when they heard this rant. AND he furthermore stated that Duke does not have enough AA players. How does that work?

Well, he justified Rose's butt ugly statements by using a couple dozen unnecessary graphic 175 yr old excuses that perpetuate the stereotype. He made it worse. I'll bet a lot of distinguished AA leaders cringed when they heard this rant. AND he furthermore stated that Duke does not have enough AA players. How does that work?

Dare I say we see 44 step in? He is a noted basketball fan.

First off, what he said still matters, and I have not heard him apologize, just use the excuse that he was 18 at the time. A poster here said he really apologized, but I have not seen it, I think all Rose has really done was hide behind his age at the time.

Secondly, yes, Michigan is highly rated academically, but has jock courses to hide the dumb football types. Exercize Science or whatever. Duke and others (SLU!) do not have blatant jock majors to hide kids. Why doesn't Jalen Rose hate Princeton? Harvard? Yale? Cornell?

you mean like sociology?