More from Dayton Fans

What a great win, boys! We've essentially put the nail in Brian Gregory's coaching coffin:

http://www.blackburnreview.com/main/2011/3/2/saint-louis-recap-even-the-vultures-are-bored.html

And this, too:

Fire Brian Gregory

What a great win, boys! We've essentially put the nail in Brian Gregory's coaching coffin:

http://www.blackburnreview.com/main/2011/3/2/saint-louis-recap-even-the-vultures-are-bored.html

And this, too:

Fire Brian Gregory

Interesting reading the postings under the video - UD fans want a hard nosed coach who will move kids out if they don't deliveer and cuss up a storm at the players. Who does this sound like - RM? We have fans who upset with RM because he is too hard on his players at practice and in the media at times, expects too much from on the court, helps a few misplaced players he inherited find another place to play - what a crazy world we live in.

There is a difference between being "hard on the players" and being cruel and demeaning.

There is a difference between being "hard on the players" and being cruel and demeaning.

True but you must also acknowledge that difference is solely in the eye of the beholder. What you interpret as being cruel and demeaning another may see as simply being "hard on the players".

Ok, you're right. Stuff like, "you are the worst player in the world", "you are a disgrace to cripples" "you are the dumbest player I have ever coached" etc are very motivational.

Ok, you're right. Stuff like, "you are the worst player in the world", "you are a disgrace to cripples" "you are the dumbest player I have ever coached" etc are very motivational.

must i give the "dicks > ******* > " speech? rick majerus is a dick. brian gregory and brad soderberg are *******. john cook is an . discuss.

must i give the "dicks > ******* > ######" speech? rick majerus is a dick. brian gregory and brad soderberg are *******. john cook is an ######. discuss.

Just added Billiken_roy and Jimbofive to my ignore list, just don't want to go through all this stuff again!:angry:

Who pissed in your Cheerios? Just pointing out that not everyone shares your view on the topic.

My point simply was that when you got a "nice guy" as coach you want a "tough guy" and vice versa. Fans always want what they don't have. Maybe Brian Gregory is a nice guy who cannot coach and RM is a pain in the ass who can coach - ultimately results will rule the day. RM was on the right track but had his legs cut out from him this year. Next year he needs to get back on track - Gregory has always seemed to have the problem of not meeting expectations - right or wrongly. RM at SLU has not had the situation where his team tends to tank at the end as it seems Gregory has had. Finally, there is a thin line between love and hate - same applies to coaches whose style does not get results.

My point simply was that when you got a "nice guy" as coach you want a "tough guy" and vice versa. Fans always want what they don't have. Maybe Brian Gregory is a nice guy who cannot coach and RM is a pain in the ass who can coach - ultimately results will rule the day. RM was on the right track but had his legs cut out from him this year. Next year he needs to get back on track - Gregory has always seemed to have the problem of not meeting expectations - right or wrongly. RM at SLU has not had the situation where his team tends to tank at the end as it seems Gregory has had. Finally, there is a thin line between love and hate - same applies to coaches whose style does not get results.

BG is a rich man's Brad Soderberg.

BG is a rich man's Brad Soderberg.

Originally I viewed Gregory as a poor man's Calipari (talented undisciplined teams, wears expensive suit to overcompensate for lack of coaching ability), but lately I see him as a rich man's Grawer (nice guy, lands talented local players, gets credit for advancing the program, capable of losing to anyone on any given night, makes deep NIT runs, fails to get the most out of talented teams, drives fanbase nuts).

Soderberg was a good coach that just couldn't string enough strong recruiting classes together.

Originally I viewed Gregory as a poor man's Calipari (talented undisciplined teams, wears expensive suit to overcompensate for lack of coaching ability), but lately I see him as a rich man's Grawer (nice guy, lands talented local players, gets credit for advancing the program, capable of losing to anyone on any given night, makes deep NIT runs, fails to get the most out of talented teams, drives fanbase nuts).

Soderberg was a good coach that just couldn't string enough strong recruiting classes together.

No comparison is ever perfect but Rich Grawer knew his x's and o's. Headstrong, his way or no way, overly intense, quick to pull a kid after a mistake, too many risky kids after Upchurch was not let in .... but Grawer knew the game, could gameplan/coach and had disciplined teams.

I think the Gregory - Grawer comparison is way off. Rich took over a program that was in a complete shambles and turned it into something respectable. Things fell apart his last year, but he helped pave the way for Spoonhour. Gregory took over a program that was fresh off a trip to the NCAA Tournament and has never been able to equal the success of his predecessor.

No comparison is ever perfect but Rich Grawer knew his x's and o's. Headstrong, his way or no way, overly intense, quick to pull a kid after a mistake, too many risky kids after Upchurch was not let in .... but Grawer knew the game, could gameplan/coach and had disciplined teams.

Grawer's teams missed out on the NCAAs because they couldn't win on the road, and never got past Xavier in the conference tourney. Those are precisely BG's problems!

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/SLU/1989-schedule.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/SLU/1990-schedule.html

Just look at those backbreaking 2pt losses to Dayton (12-17, 6-6) and Detroit (7-21, 4-8) in 1989. Without those losses, we're 24-6 and co-MCC champs with Evansville and possibly avoid X in the MCC tournament. If that team had won @SMS or @Colorado (or beaten a good Iowa team on a neutral court instead of losing by 3) they'd have been 25-5 and almost certainly in the dance.

Don't use Upchurch as a blanket excuse. That team had Bonner, Gray, Douglas, Newberry - a good coach would have had them in the tournament.

Grawer's teams missed out on the NCAAs because they couldn't win on the road, and never got past Xavier in the conference tourney. Those are precisely BG's problems!

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/SLU/1989-schedule.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/SLU/1990-schedule.html

Just look at those backbreaking 2pt losses to Dayton (12-17, 6-6) and Detroit (7-21, 4-8) in 1989. Without those losses, we're 24-6 and co-MCC champs with Evansville and possibly avoid X in the MCC tournament. If that team had won @SMS or @Colorado (or beaten a good Iowa team on a neutral court instead of losing by 3) they'd have been 25-5 and almost certainly in the dance.

Don't use Upchurch as a blanket excuse. That team had Bonner, Gray, Douglas, Newberry - a good coach would have had them in the tournament.

My bad. Re-read your post and see that you were talking about Calipari and Gregory being undisciplined and lack of coaching - not Grawer.

As to X, yes, Grawer/SLU could never seem to get past them. Sure, we had a few wins over X but I'd say X probably won 3 out of 4. Unfortunately, the MCC was a one (1) bid conference and we were number 2. Still, I don't think I's say that Grawer failed to get the most out of his talent like Gregory does. Not all Grawer teams had guys like Bonner, Gray, Douglas and Newberry each year. Instead, we had guys like Rahim Al Matin, Tony Brown, Jim Roder... I don't really recall the 2 point loss to UD you are referring to but a 2 point loss to a 12 win team is not the same as a 20 point blowout to a 12 win team, at home on Senior night, when it also is to a team that you handled rather easily a month earlier.

As to Upchurch, I am not suggesting that his absence explained our lack of a NCAA bid (though it may have been) but instead suggest that it was the beginning of the end for Grawer who responded by taking chances on several kids who had basketball skills/talent but who were not good people/students after Douglas and Gray graduated, and then the next year, after Bonner graduated. Until RM, SLU has not been able to string good and successive recruiting classes together.

+1