Today's game

jp18

But do you think we get better treatment at home? The fans around me don't think so (may have something to so with my screaming at the refs).

we get better treatment depending on the matchup. against dayton, the refs had no problem being awful.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really believe this kind of stuff goes on? I know we all say it and even Earl Austin said it today, but could it just be poor officiating? I am asking this question in a serious manner because it just seems that if these officials really are screwing up this badly on a regular basis there ought to be a review process to have them removed or at least censured. I really am at a loss to understand this kind of stuff.

I believe that the officiating process is inherently biased. It is most obvious in non-con play as the home team generally hires the refs. Most refs know that if they protect the home team on a few calls they'll get invited back which is money in their pockets. The same applies for conference games as officials know who the league would prefer to win. They aren't oblivious to standings at all. Since the conference signs their paychecks they have an inherent reason to support the Temples of the world in games like this.

Of course, they'd never admit it and they may not even realize they are actively doing it, but its only human nature to take actions that will improve their job status and financial standing...

I believe that the officiating process is inherently biased. It is most obvious in non-con play as the home team generally hires the refs. Most refs know that if they protect the home team on a few calls they'll get invited back which is money in their pockets. The same applies for conference games as officials know who the league would prefer to win. They aren't oblivious to standings at all. Since the conference signs their paychecks they have an inherent reason to support the Temples of the world in games like this.

Of course, they'd never admit it and they may not even realize they are actively doing it, but its only human nature to take actions that will improve their job status and financial standing...

I think they just flat out suck

I agree completely, but I'll also say that some refs just simply aren't that good at all. Some refs just don't know the game well enough to be reffing Division 1 Basketball.

I agree completely, but I'll also say that some refs just simply aren't that good at all. Some refs just don't know the game well enough to be reffing Division 1 Basketball.

I think this is spot on.

Ed Corbett, Tim Higgins, and Tim Kelly.

After every stopage of play one of those three would take the ball out of bounds and stand there trying to spin it on his finger like a goon.

He would take a few steps out from under the baseline and have every body watch as he showed his ball spinning skills.

I have never seen a ref do that. I guess he thought the commercial break entertainment wasnt good enough so he was going to help out.

When I see that all I can think is that he would rather be noticed than call a good game.

I wouldnt be suprised if that was the guy calling all of the intentional foul crap!

I agree kshoe. I told my father in law this afternoon after listening to the game that it would have been a tough blow to the A10 this year if a 5-9 SLU team went on the road and beat a team that has a legit shot at an at large NCAA birth. I did not see it but Ramsey said the intentional foul on Evans was a black eye on the conference. Ramsey is usually fair to the officials if the call seems fair. The call was at a critical time in the game and SLU was more than holding their own with momentum. It completely changed the complexion of the last 4 minutes. May not have ultimately caused the loss but seems as though it helped in the end.

After every stopage of play one of those three would take the ball out of bounds and stand there trying to spin it on his finger like a goon.

He would take a few steps out from under the baseline and have every body watch as he showed his ball spinning skills.

I have never seen a ref do that. I guess he thought the commercial break entertainment wasnt good enough so he was going to help out.

When I see that all I can think is that he would rather be noticed than call a good game.

I wouldnt be suprised if that was the guy calling all of the intentional foul crap!

Saw the same thing but was too pissed off bitching about the calls to post about Mr Cool.