Majerus and Romar

Didn't Soderberg basically ignore Shaw until Kalen Grimes committed to Mizzou? I seem to remember him being late to the party, and by that time, Shaw had already established a strong bond with Painter.

It came down to SIUC and us for Shaw. We were on him all along. Sodie and Grunk were big, big fans of his. He said he chose SIUC because they offered a major he wanted that SLU didn't have; how much his relationship with the coaches there played a role, I'm not sure.

Just win and all things will correct themsleves over time. Imagine: you are a local, high- to mid-major player and are offered by SLU. Do you accept/ Straight up? If you say your answer would be "yes" I'd say you are a "liar!" Okay, mayb eone or two of you aren't lying but you catch my drift.

All of us would say "yes" -- I mean, we're on this board for a reason, mostly becuase of our love and support of the U. Th enormal basketball kid good enough to get those kid of offers. No way --- 98% of the time.

It came down to SIUC and us for Shaw. We were on him all along. Sodie and Grunk were big, big fans of his. He said he chose SIUC because they offered a major he wanted that SLU didn't have; how much his relationship with the coaches there played a role, I'm not sure.

I think you are confusing Shaw with someone else. While Sodie was on him all along, Sodie wouldn't pull the trigger on making an offer early because he wanted to hold it for Kalen Grimes. Falker is the one who gave his major as a reason for committing to SIU.

I think you are confusing Shaw with someone else. While Sodie was on him all along, Sodie wouldn't pull the trigger on making an offer early because he wanted to hold it for Kalen Grimes. Falker is the one who gave his major as a reason for committing to SIU.

3 times- you must really mean it!

But no, I'm not confusing him with anyone else. I met him on his visit to SLU. We quit on Kalen Grimes earlier than people realize. I think SIUC offered Shaw before us, but it wasn't like it was a year earlier or anything.

billikenbilly wanted to make his point so bad he posted it 3 times. But it is a valid point. Sodie waited on offering Shaw then we lost him. Like how Sodie didn't offer Harrelson at all out of HS (when he wanted to come to SLU) thus putting us in a bad position when he came around a second time as a juco recruit.

This thread is about recruiting St. Louis now isn't it? Going back to kids Sodie missed out on is irrelevent, we all know the issues.

The thing with RM is ... he's going to have sticks in the fire we don't even know about. If you're local and the type of player he wants he'll go after you, but, he isn't going to be strung along. If he's going after a local kid and a kid from elsewhere who are both equal or close to the same level, he's not going to put the away kid off while the local kid waits and thinks about it. In the past, that wasn't the case. We settled many times for lesser local players because no one better was interested. We now have kids all over the world interested. It's a different game.

This thread is about recruiting St. Louis now isn't it? Going back to kids Sodie missed out on is irrelevent, we all know the issues.

The thing with RM is ... he's going to have sticks in the fire we don't even know about. If you're local and the type of player he wants he'll go after you, but, he isn't going to be strung along. If he's going after a local kid and a kid from elsewhere who are both equal or close to the same level, he's not going to put the away kid off while the local kid waits and thinks about it. In the past, that wasn't the case. We settled many times for lesser local players because no one better was interested. We now have kids all over the world interested. It's a different game.

It seems all of STL's 4-5 stars have their sights set on the bigs. We all know Hughes wanted to go to Syracuse but because of his brother he stayed. But since him, I really can't remember any of the big names we truly had a shot at landing. Even RM's run into the problem, but at least he has the good sense to offer once and if turned down he moves on quickly.

Why do you have to put either of the kids off? You can recruit both equally?

You don't have to. That's what skip was saying. Some coaches would let the local kid toy around with him simply because he's a local kid.

As late as this year September we were worried about having no scholarships to offer.

At the end of last year we would not have wanted more guards and I don't think the area had many legitimate 5 players.

Obviously, we also now have wing and power forward issues- lack of a real rebounder would have been my first concern.

Who from the locals would have given us 30 minutes of rebounding?

All the way back to the beginning of this thread: I don't disagree on the Romar vs. RM comparisons I always thought Romar was a media darling who lucked out letting his kids play

Romar had no clue as to student-athlete qualifications

I'd say KC is less a metro player than picked from the very back pocket of SIUC a kid who wanted to go away to the big city and be close enough his parents could subscribe to the post

and drive in for games-too bad BT wasn't a competitor in class or court-he might have had the last laugh but RM is evidently a drill sergeant

It seems all of STL's 4-5 stars have their sights set on the bigs. We all know Hughes wanted to go to Syracuse but because of his brother he stayed. But since him, I really can't remember any of the big names we truly had a shot at landing. Even RM's run into the problem, but at least he has the good sense to offer once and if turned down he moves on quickly.

There were a couple of big names whose names begin with "L."

Whether they are local or not, many of the 4 and 5 star players want to play in a system that allows them to run up and down the court and take the first open shot, not in a system in which they have to make four, five or more passes before they are allowed to shoot. That is out of date to them. I don't agree that it is out of date but many of them do.

:lol:

Why do you have to put either of the kids off? You can recruit both equally?

Of course you can, did you read what I wrote?

How about when the away kid is ready to commit and the local kid isn't? In the past we've had to wait on local kids to decide, where as now we have irons burning all over the world and when one of them is ready to commit and does, it obviously fills a spot a local kid now can't have. I wouldn't give a local kid any preference if I offer you and you don't commit ... you may lose out and we won't be an option any longer.