Recruiting In St. Louis

SLUSLU

it is my understanding that siu was glad for booker to hit the streets and was not a model player while at siu. wasnt the head case that roundtree has been. but not good either.

femi indeed was a class act. but still 33% is not a good ratio.

Thats not 33%. You were stereotyping their whole program, not just those 3 guys in that class. They have several other alums currently playing college and others who have gone on to play college basketball without incident. And even with Roundtree, there have been many rumors since he left Carbondale, many of them unfounded, and he's currently enjoying a standout sophomore season as the leading scorer for State Fair CC averaging 18ppg and will likely be right back at the D1 level next season.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Femi has been the ultimate class act. Booker didn't visibly display any character issues. Sure you can look more closely at it, but just because Orlando Stewart went to SLU doesn't mean SLU is a thug program. Booker would be our best big this year by far.

If you would go back and look at the SLU-SIU again, you would think otherwise. Agree with your thoughts about Femi, though.

If you would go back and look at the SLU-SIU again, you would think otherwise. Agree with your thoughts about Femi, though.

Who would be better than him this year? You are judging Booker off of one game in which he felt a lot of pressure and fouled out. Our bigs are terrible right now.

Who would be better than him this year? You are judging Booker off of one game in which he felt a lot of pressure and fouled out. Our bigs are terrible right now.

It's easy to say that now that Reed is gone. If our bigs are terrible now, why add another one in Booker. He couldn't even start for a mediocre SIU team. Plus, he would have to sit out a year before he could play. What a waste. I would rather have Evans playing the 4. I would rather have a struggling Ellis. Jon Smith destroyed Booker last year. I would rather have a freshman with upside like Loe playing over Booker. I would rather take Remekun's defense.

He's the thing about recruiting and the perception that many from board have of local recruits. If NH or myself suggested that the Bills should have gone after.....lets say Dantiel Daniels from Holt HS. The kid is a beast and a D1 signee, but we would've heard how he's only 6'5 and that SLU needs a bigger big man or about what other schools weren't recruiting him. Cory Remekum is also 6'5. If Remekum is big enough then Daniels is too. I saw a lot of Billiken games last year and saw Cory play all summer. They are the exact same player. But it seems like the perception of many on the board will be that the out of towner is better for some reason.

it is my understanding that siu was glad for booker to hit the streets and was not a model player while at siu. wasnt the head case that roundtree has been. but not good either.

femi indeed was a class act. but still 33% is not a good ratio.

I personally know a number of players who graduated from North and they are all model citizens. You are generalizing. You don't know all the players who graduated from North. There are head cases at all schools. The main problem with Booker and Roundtree performance wise in college was the lack of good coaching they got at North.

He's the thing about recruiting and the perception that many from board have of local recruits. If NH or myself suggested that the Bills should have gone after.....lets say Dantiel Daniels from Holt HS. The kid is a beast and a D1 signee, but we would've heard how he's only 6'5 and that SLU needs a bigger big man or about what other schools weren't recruiting him. Cory Remekum is also 6'5. If Remekum is big enough then Daniels is too. I saw a lot of Billiken games last year and saw Cory play all summer. They are the exact same player. But it seems like the perception of many on the board will be that the out of towner is better for some reason.

I just figured out why our bigs underperform-they keep shrinking' prior to last year CR was reportedly 6 foot 8 and growing- by end of season he was 6'7"

Beginning of this season he was 6' 6" now he is 6'5"; by senior year he will p;ay as if he was 6'3" if he shaves his head like AB

Here are my thoughts on recruiting the area:

1) It is much easier to evaluate and recruit players from close to home, both financially and logistically

2) Selling "closeness to home" is a unique advantage a school can offer and you have to take advantage of it (look at Kyle Cassity)

3) it creates interest in your program

4) If you are a program like SLU you don't have much going for you when you go up against the big state schools. Let's say we are recruiting against North Carolina for a 5-star kid. The factors that would make a kid choose your school are mostly:

Prestige of program

Facilities

Quality of Coach

Quality of Team

Academics

Proximity to home

North Carolina would beat us in all of those categories but one, maybe two. The biggest advantage we have of getting a kid is the proximity to home. If we are recruiting a kid from Chicago or Wisconsin we lose that advantage.

I think if you have three kids the same skill level, one from wisconsin, one from Australia and one from ST. Louis, you recruit the STL kid first, then the WI kid, then the Aussie, if you have to prioritize it.

Here are my thoughts on recruiting the area:

I think if you have three kids the same skill level, one from wisconsin, one from Australia and one from ST. Louis, you recruit the STL kid first, then the WI kid, then the Aussie, if you have to prioritize it.

you say Wisconsin because of RM?

I would say recruiting Reed and Reid from KC, MO and Topeka, KS was RM and Porter sending a signa to the basketball community just as John Manning from VA being a message to the A10 and the East coast-let's hope in two years he has the impact Willie did as a Soph-let's not get depressed if he is as bad as Willie as a freshman where we were all trying to figure out if he or BT was going to sit the pine

RM is not limiting his recruiting to local

you say Wisconsin because of RM?

I would say recruiting Reed and Reid from KC, MO and Topeka, KS was RM and Porter sending a signa to the basketball community just as John Manning from VA being a message to the A10 and the East coast-let's hope in two years he has the impact Willie did as a Soph-let's not get depressed if he is as bad as Willie as a freshman where we were all trying to figure out if he or BT was going to sit the pine

Yes, because of RM. We have recruited a lot of wisconsin players under his tenure, with only one committing.

Again, I hope people do not expect too much out of JM right away. He is not highly rated. He didn't have a lot of big offers. He has, from what I have read, somewhat underwhelmed in his high school career to this point. Those signs point to a player with room to develop. I'm sure he will be a good player, but I don't see signs pointing to him being a significant contributor immediately.

Chris Braun seems to be the biggest name the Bills have had out of the area post Larry Hughes. I think the guys RM got this year out of Chicago will pan out.

Are you kidding me?

Tommie Liddell, Kevin Lisch, Luke Meyer, Dwayne Polk, Femi John were all starters.

Yes, I agree about the CHI kids. But theoretically, it should be easier to land STL kids than kids from Chicago or anywhere else.

Recruiting locally is not as easy as everyone thinks. First, keep in mind that every kid who plays in the phl plays at a school that is unaccredited, which means he is getting a horrible education and, if eligible, will undoubtedly struggle at slu. Polk was valedictorian at vashon and had a c average at slu. Imagine how much a vashon kid at the bottom of his class would struggle here. Some of the people on your list r not realistic possibilities because of grades.

Also, attitudes r a bigger deal with local kids. U recruit a guy with an attitude problem, an overbearing dad, and or a bunch of handlers, all problems get magnified. (see Liddell)

I'm all in favor of getting local kids that fit the necessary role. But just because they can score doesn't mean they'd be a good fit.

I'll trust majerus on these things. I think he's proven himself.

Are you kidding me?

Tommie Liddell, Kevin Lisch, Luke Meyer, Dwayne Polk, Femi John were all starters.

Yes, I agree about the CHI kids. But theoretically, it should be easier to land STL kids than kids from Chicago or anywhere else.

Polk was valedictorian at vashon and had a c average at slu.

I'll trust majerus on these things. I think he's proven himself.

How do you know that about Polk? He made the honor roll at least one semester at SLU and I'm pretty sure you need more than Cs to do that.

I agree. And RM has been recruiting St. Louis a lot more lately. He seems to have come around on the talent somewhat (or the talent has just improved).

If Remuken is 6'5 than how tall is Conklin? 6'3? Remuken is taller than Ellis so how tall is Cody? How do our players keep shrinking?

How do you know that about Polk? He made the honor roll at least one semester at SLU and I'm pretty sure you need more than Cs to do that.

I agree. And RM has been recruiting St. Louis a lot more lately. He seems to have come around on the talent somewhat (or the talent has just improved).

2 semesters early on Polk was a grade letter from not being eligible. I don't know about being on the honor roll considering he doesn't know where he lived while he played in HS.

What happened to him? I mean there was talk of him playing pro ball in Puerto Rico and all.

I searched around and the first non-SLU link I could find was for a Ruben Cotto that committed to LaSalle from a JUCO school. The years are perfect for him to have gone from SLU to JUCO to LaSalle. Could it be?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/houston/basketball/recruiting/player-Ruben-Cotto-96343

What happened to him? I mean there was talk of him playing pro ball in Puerto Rico and all.

I searched around and the first non-SLU link I could find was for a Ruben Cotto that committed to LaSalle from a JUCO school. The years are perfect for him to have gone from SLU to JUCO to LaSalle. Could it be?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/houston/basketball/recruiting/player-Ruben-Cotto-96343

He is doing absolutely nothing.