Recruiting In St. Louis

SLUSLU

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the high school basketball season underway, I wanna know who SLU has an interest in, in the local area. So if you could help me out that would be great.

Nate's board (billikenreport.com) is the best place to get this type of info, but some of the stuff that can be found on other sites as well:

Brad Beal (Florida)

Christian Kirk (Mo. State)

Roosevelt Jones (Butler)

Levels of interest varied with Beal having the most of thoe guys

Jordon Granger- offered

Cameron Biedscheid (Notre Dame)

Nolan Berry

Jordan Swopshire (probably impossible to get)

Hope that helps.

2012 in the are we had Biedscheid who spurned us to go to Notre Dame. There is also Jordan Granger 6'8 McCluer North who we have an offer for. There may be 2 area guards that could get offers soon or down the road in this class as well. Desoto's Colin Ferguson is a nice big man.

2013 has a ton of depth locally. Coaching staff is in on Jordan Martin 6'8 out of Haz Central and 5'10 Anthony Virdure at Lutheran North, Berry & Swopshire mentioned before. Munson out of East St. Louis is very good. McCluer has a nice pair of Soph forwards. This class could have 6 or 7 kids play D-1 easily.

2014 also looks promising. Bayless has a couple freshman lighting it up I have yet to see them play. Marcellus Lewis on Chaminade played for the Eagles 15 under team as an 8th grader. A lot of the talent I've seen in this class is on the Illinois side.

2012 in the are we had Biedscheid who spurned us to go to Notre Dame. There is also Jordan Granger 6'8 McCluer North who we have an offer for. There may be 2 area guards that could get offers soon or down the road in this class as well. Desoto's Colin Ferguson is a nice big man.

2013 has a ton of depth locally. Coaching staff is in on Jordan Martin 6'8 out of Haz Central and 5'10 Anthony Virdure at Lutheran North, Berry & Swopshire mentioned before. Munson out of East St. Louis is very good. McCluer has a nice pair of Soph forwards. This class could have 6 or 7 kids play D-1 easily.

2014 also looks promising. Bayless has a couple freshman lighting it up I have yet to see them play. Marcellus Lewis on Chaminade played for the Eagles 15 under team as an 8th grader. A lot of the talent I've seen in this class is on the Illinois side.

The Bayless kids are not good enough to play high level D1 based on what I've seen. Lewis needs to grow a little bit as well.

And I would think the 2013 class will get way more than 13 guys (Martin, Virdure, Berry, Swopshire will all go mid to high major. I'm sure a handful of other guys will play as well.

The 2012 class could get 15 guys at least (Biedscheid, Granger, Travon Williams, Paul Mcroberts, Antonio Hopkins, Jared White, BRandon Book, Ryan Rosburg, Leon Watkins to name some.)

The Bayless kids are not good enough to play high level D1 based on what I've seen. Lewis needs to grow a little bit as well.

And I would think the 2013 class will get way more than 13 guys (Martin, Virdure, Berry, Swopshire will all go mid to high major. I'm sure a handful of other guys will play as well.

The 2012 class could get 15 guys at least (Biedscheid, Granger, Travon Williams, Paul Mcroberts, Antonio Hopkins, Jared White, BRandon Book, Ryan Rosburg, Leon Watkins to name some.)

Don't go Vtime on us. When has St. Louis ever produced 15 D-1 players in the same year? Sometimes we don't do that in 4 years.

Don't go Vtime on us. When has St. Louis ever produced 15 D-1 players in the same year? Sometimes we don't do that in 4 years.

The 2008 class had to come close.

Suggs

Brandenburg

John

Roundtree

McCoy

Perry

Hanlen

Booker

Hobbs

Soderberg

James

Meier

Tillman

Cotto

Cambell

Thats 15 right there.

The 2008 class had to come close.

Suggs

Brandenburg

John

Roundtree

McCoy

Perry

Hanlen

Booker

Hobbs

Soderberg

James

Meier

Tillman

Cotto

Cambell

Thats 15 right there.

Stacked year, out of the ordinary. And how many of those made any kind of impact on their program? How many would you want playing at SLU? How many aren't playing D-1 ball anymore? How many play at D-1 schools that are extremely low level or in transition phase?

I couldn't say off the top of my head how many went to D-1 this year, it wasn't 15. Number are skewed a little bit now because of SIUE which recruits heavily locally. I should be more specific in expressing how much D-1 talent is available in St. Louis that can play at SLU or at least at SLU's level.

The South is the place for recruiting now. Especially TX and FL.

There are as nearly as many kids from the St. Louis area alone in the rivals top 150 for the class of 2011 as there is in the whole state of Florida. (3: Beal, McClemore, and Young)

Missouri and Florida have 4. (Otto Porter is the other)

As far as Texas is concerned, the main reason for a lot of recruits coming from there is simply due to the size of the state (the same can be said for California). TX is approximately 3.88 times larger than Missouri. For 2011, as I mentioned above, we have 4 top 150 players. Texas has 15. 4 x 3.88 =15.52. So the numbers make sense. Does or will MO do this every year? No. But it fluctuates for most states

The point I'm trying to make is that in any given year there can be a different state that produces a lot of good players. North Carolina is one of them this year. Illinois and New York/ New Jersey have always seemed to produce a lot because of the cities within them.

two really nice sophomores on the eastside to watch develop malcolm hill at belleville east and nick von osdale at belleville west. ofallon (illinois) has sophomore todd porter, whose dad is an east st louis legend, but ofallon is so loaded that todd isnt getting many minutes right now. todd is also the ofallon football team starting quarterback so you know that there is potential there.

Stacked year, out of the ordinary. And how many of those made any kind of impact on their program? How many would you want playing at SLU? How many aren't playing D-1 ball anymore? How many play at D-1 schools that are extremely low level or in transition phase?

I couldn't say off the top of my head how many went to D-1 this year, it wasn't 15. Number are skewed a little bit now because of SIUE which recruits heavily locally. I should be more specific in expressing how much D-1 talent is available in St. Louis that can play at SLU or at least at SLU's level.

You asked about kids that made any kind of impact on their program on that list of 15 he gave you. And you also asked how many of those guys would we want playing at SLU.

Femi John- a starter as a redshirt freshman prior to injury, a kid you'd want here

Roundtree- a starter before injury, left the school, if you didnt know about the off the court stuff that came out later, talent-wise you'd want him here

Perry- Playing in the Pac 10 for Arizona. You'd want him here

Scott Suggs- Very highly touted high school player that many thought could turn SLU around. You'd want him here

Anthony Campbell-Led Austin Peay in scoring last year as a sophomore 6'6 scoring guard. Austin Peay beat SLU this year.

Anthony James- Northern Iowa's leading scorer this year. Was a key reserve on last year's MVC champions and Sweet 16 team. You'd want him here.

Tony Meier- 6'8 combo forward that can stroke it from three. Started all 3 years. Double figure scorer

Ruben Cotto- Left after a semester, but everyone was excited about him and wanted him here.

Anthony Booker- You would've taken him then, you would've taken him when he left Carbondale.

9 out of 15 isnt bad. 60%

You asked about kids that made any kind of impact on their program on that list of 15 he gave you. And you also asked how many of those guys would we want playing at SLU.

Femi John- a starter as a redshirt freshman prior to injury, a kid you'd want here

Roundtree- a starter before injury, left the school, if you didnt know about the off the court stuff that came out later, talent-wise you'd want him here

Perry- Playing in the Pac 10 for Arizona. You'd want him here

Scott Suggs- Very highly touted high school player that many thought could turn SLU around. You'd want him here

Anthony Campbell-Led Austin Peay in scoring last year as a sophomore 6'6 scoring guard. Austin Peay beat SLU this year.

Anthony James- Northern Iowa's leading scorer this year. Was a key reserve on last year's MVC champions and Sweet 16 team. You'd want him here.

Tony Meier- 6'8 combo forward that can stroke it from three. Started all 3 years. Double figure scorer

Ruben Cotto- Left after a semester, but everyone was excited about him and wanted him here.

Anthony Booker- You would've taken him then, you would've taken him when he left Carbondale.

9 out of 15 isnt bad. 60%

Count me in the camp that would not have taken Booker after he left Carbondale. Not after I saw SLU hold him to 0 last year and even Jon Smith made him look foolish. That kid was way over-rated... couldn't even start for SIU.

Count me in the camp that would not have taken Booker after he left Carbondale. Not after I saw SLU hold him to 0 last year and even Jon Smith made him look foolish. That kid was way over-rated... couldn't even start for SIU.

i agree ace, plus when you throw in the wayward journey of roundtree thus far, i would also have reservations on any kid from that high school program going forward and double check my opinion of those player's character. that might be an unfair stereotype, but it seems to me is a justified pause.

i agree ace, plus when you throw in the wayward journey of roundtree thus far, i would also have reservations on any kid from that high school program going forward and double check my opinion of those player's character. that might be an unfair stereotype, but it seems to me is a justified pause.

Totally unfair stereotype, especially when you have alum who is a part of your program and university and he's been a model citizen.

Femi has been the ultimate class act. Booker didn't visibly display any character issues. Sure you can look more closely at it, but just because Orlando Stewart went to SLU doesn't mean SLU is a thug program. Booker would be our best big this year by far.

Femi has been the ultimate class act. Booker didn't visibly display any character issues. Sure you can look more closely at it, but just because Orlando Stewart went to SLU doesn't mean SLU is a thug program. Booker would be our best big this year by far.

it is my understanding that siu was glad for booker to hit the streets and was not a model player while at siu. wasnt the head case that roundtree has been. but not good either.

femi indeed was a class act. but still 33% is not a good ratio.