OT- Cards sign Berkman

slufanskip

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the move a lot.

We need a lefthanded hitter with some power. He can play LF and move Holliday to RF.

Also, Pujols signing is still up in the air, AP says he will be 31 in Jan but he is over 34 and Cards do not want to give him a 7-10 yr contract. A mess.

I love this move. Downside - His legs don't hold up and we've overspent for a power bat off the bench. Upside, last year was just a down year and we've got a 15 mil ballplayer for 8.

I really like this move, too. I believe Berkman can still hit and make a difference on this team. He won't be asked to put up 40 homers, but if he could put up similar numbers to the 25 and 80 he had in 2009, it would be a sucess.

I like the move a lot.

We need a lefthanded hitter with some power. He can play LF and move Holliday to RF.

Also, Pujols signing is still up in the air, AP says he will be 31 in Jan but he is over 34 and Cards do not want to give him a 7-10 yr contract. A mess.

I just knew you were going to bring up that Pujols is really 34 or some other nonsense. Bottom line: If he wants a 7 year contract, give him one! He is the best player in all of baseball. Arrrgggggg!

I just knew you were going to bring up that Pujols is really 34 or some other nonsense. Bottom line: If he wants a 7 year contract, give him one! He is the best player in all of baseball. Arrrgggggg!

I am correct, he is 34.

Doesn't the Berkman move make you wonder? And all the quotes from Cardindal officials about priorities the last few months... sign Westbrooke, get a middle infielder with some offense, get a lefty in the bullpen, get an outfielder with power... but almost no emphasis on Pujols.

If he was really 30, and he wants to stay here, why haven't we signed him yet?

Think.

I am correct, he is 34.

Doesn't the Berkman move make you wonder? And all the talk the last few months about priorities... but no talk about Pujols.

If he was really 30, and he wants to stay here, why haven't we signed Pujols yet? Think.

Berkman was signed to a one-year deal, not a multi year deal. It only makes me think they want more offense in the outfield. On top of that, Berkman really is 34. They aren't replacing Pujols with Berkman. The Cards are going to offer Pujols a deal but want to make sure to fill other needs during this winter. Pujols has stated that he wants a contract to be taken care of before spring training.

And, MB, IF you are correct, and that is a big IF because you are usually only correct on 5% of things, then I think Pujols should still be signed to a 7 year deal that runs through him being in his 40s. He hasn't even come close to slowing down, he has brought the Cards 2 World Series appearances and a title, numerous MVP awards or 2nd place finishes and quite frankly owns this town. Him playing anywhere else will just feel wrong and would devestate fans when he comes here in a different uniform.

Berkman was signed to a one-year deal, not a multi year deal. It only makes me think they want more offense in the outfield. On top of that, Berkman really is 34. They aren't replacing Pujols with Berkman. The Cards are going to offer Pujols a deal but want to make sure to fill other needs during this winter. Pujols has stated that he wants a contract to be taken care of before spring training.

And, MB, IF you are correct, and that is a big IF because you are usually only correct on 5% of things, then I think Pujols should still be signed to a 7 year deal that runs through him being in his 40s. He hasn't even come close to slowing down, he has brought the Cards 2 World Series appearances and a title, numerous MVP awards or 2nd place finishes and quite frankly owns this town. Him playing anywhere else will just feel wrong and would devestate fans when he comes here in a different uniform.

trade him to the American League and you may not have to see him in a different uniform. Seven years and $30MM is too much.

I am correct, he is 34.

Doesn't the Berkman move make you wonder? And all the quotes from Cardindal officials about priorities the last few months... sign Westbrooke, get a middle infielder with some offense, get a lefty in the bullpen, get an outfielder with power... but almost no emphasis on Pujols.

Think.

I dont want to see the Cards give Pujols a ten year contract but stating, as fact, that he is 34 is wrong.

I dont know if he is 30,34,32, or 24 and neither do you but I guarntee you that the Cards are treating his contract as if he is the age he says he is. If they sign him to a 6-8 year deal and find out he is 4 years older than what he said when he signed they can void the contract anyway so whats the probelem?

The last thing the Cards want to do is pull some MB73/Kevin Slaten bullcrap and call the face of the franchise and city a liar.

Pujols didnt come over to the states on some boat made of sticks and dont you think something would of came up about his age when he applied for and got citizenship?

You can listen to the nut job conspiracy theorists all you want but dont act like you know facts when you dont.

trade him to the American League and you may not have to see him in a different uniform. Seven years and $30MM is too much.

Too much for possibly the best player ever to play? You're delusional if you think it's too much. We will and should give him every cent he asks for. I don't care if he wants his name on the stadium and want to own the arch; we have to do it.

There is a 100 percent chance the Cardinals re-sign Pujols.

...If only Pujols was a scrappy white guy...

Big Puma batting second with that obp, 20 home run pop, another year removed from knee surgery, and his clubhouse presence, I'll take the one year at a time shot with that...despite his no longer hitting lefties and slower bat speed.

I dont want to see the Cards give Pujols a ten year contract but stating, as fact, that he is 34 is wrong.

I dont know if he is 30,34,32, or 24 and neither do you but I guarntee you that the Cards are treating his contract as if he is the age he says he is. If they sign him to a 6-8 year deal and find out he is 4 years older than what he said when he signed they can void the contract anyway so whats the probelem?

The last thing the Cards want to do is pull some MB73/Kevin Slaten bullcrap and call the face of the franchise and city a liar.

Pujols didnt come over to the states on some boat made of sticks and dont you think something would of came up about his age when he applied for and got citizenship?

You can listen to the nut job conspiracy theorists all you want but dont act like you know facts when you dont.

Thank you, dlarry. Excellent points and what I have been saying.

I am correct, he is 34.Doesn't the Berkman move make you wonder? And all the quotes from Cardindal officials about priorities the last few months... sign Westbrooke, get a middle infielder with some offense, get a lefty in the bullpen, get an outfielder with power... but almost no emphasis on Pujols.

Think.

Can you post some sort of link to prove this "fact"? I wouldn't be surprised if he's a little older, but nothing had ever been verified to my knowledge. Please enlighten us.

The Cardinals know.

This issue is, how do they handle it? It's a public relations nightmare. Very complex on both sides if you take the time to think about it, though that would be asking a lot of you.

An inside baseball person informed me of this issue. Again, Pujols came to USA, went to high school, said he was 18, really was over 21. We may not find this out officially for a long time, but we will someday.

I know the Bergman deal is one yr, it is insurance in case we move Pujols this yr. And no, KF, there is no link, give me a break.

I HOPE that both sides are reasonable, and we sign him to a 4 yr deal, maybe 5, for huge bucks. But I doubt it. 100% chance we re-sign him? There is a good chance, but not 100%.

(MB73/Kevin Slaten bullcrap?) Who TF are you?

Who told you that, Fredbird? Pujols actually came to the USA when he was 15 not 18

*Yes, he first arrived in NY, you get a cookie.

THEN he moved to Independence / Kansas City area in MO, played high school baseball one yr and SAID he was 18; he was over 21. He was WAY overweight at the time, played shortstop, had a cannon for an arm, hit 450 ft home runs, pro scouts did not know what to think of him.

*Yes, he first arrived in NY, you get a cookie.

THEN he moved to Independence / Kansas City area in MO, played high school baseball one yr and SAID he was 18; he was over 21. He was WAY overweight at the time, played shortstop, had a cannon for an arm, hit 450 ft home runs, pro scouts did not know what to think of him.

Actually, he played two years in High School and then graduated after the first semester of his senior year in order to enroll at a Community College, in an attempt to get closer to his dream of playing professionally.

Keep making up nonsense about him. It's okay.

Actually, he played two years in High School and then graduated after the first semester of his senior year in order to enroll at a Community College, in an attempt to get closer to his dream of playing professionally.

Keep making up nonsense about him. It's okay.

Smackdown. Owned again.

Minutia.

I am not writing his godd*m autobiography. He played in MSHSAA, was not eligible, but they ignored it. He is now 34+.

Pro baseball people are aware. You are not. You will see, in time, kid.

Now go home and get your f*cking shine box.