KM's Best Move this year

slu72

First, this topic assumes KM's coming back to SLU, which by what we hear, he is. Second, in light of learning his mom has cancer, one wonders what really would be best for KM this year. I mean that's a lot to deal with for anyone, never mind a 21 year old. Obviously, it's his and mom's decision and am sure they'll be content with whatever they decide. But from a purely basketball and academic perspective what is the best for KM? To my way of thinking it depends upon how the team's doing without him. We're once again a largely inexperienced squad w/o WR and KM. As WH mentions in his preview, our non con sched suddenly got more difficult without our top two scorers. So, assume it's not going well as we head into the conference season. Say a couple or three W's over .500. Right there, unless we win the A-10 tourney, the NCAA and the NIT are out of the question. Then couple that with one of the toughest conference scheds, what's the most we have to look forward to at season's end? The CBI? Does KM want to lose half his JR season to play in the CBI? Especially, when he could come back for a full two years with a good shot at making the dance in both of them? Obviously, if this team pulls off a miracle and we're only looking at 2-3 losses in non con and they're developing well, then he might want to sacrifice that first half and take a shot at seeing what we can do in the A-10. Still risky given the league is once again strong. When I heard RM was urging him to redshirt my reaction was no, don't. We're gonna need you. But that's a fan being selfish. Now after giving it some thought, it makes sense if he comes back as a student, works with the team, and then gets a fresh start in the 11-12 season. Treat it like a season ending injury. He'll be able to concentrate on his studies, play his 5th year w/ a very light class schedule so he's got that load off his plate and feel a little less pressure during his last year. Bottom line, I think he should sit it out, smell the roses, be there for his mom, get comfy again at SLU, and practice w/ this year's team to help develop his young future teammates.

First, this topic assumes KM's coming back to SLU, which by what we hear, he is. Second, in light of learning his mom has cancer, one wonders what really would be best for KM this year. I mean that's a lot to deal with for anyone, never mind a 21 year old. Obviously, it's his and mom's decision and am sure they'll be content with whatever they decide. But from a purely basketball and academic perspective what is the best for KM? To my way of thinking it depends upon how the team's doing without him. We're once again a largely inexperienced squad w/o WR and KM. As WH mentions in his preview, our non con sched suddenly got more difficult without our top two scorers. So, assume it's not going well as we head into the conference season. Say a couple or three W's over .500. Right there, unless we win the A-10 tourney, the NCAA and the NIT are out of the question. Then couple that with one of the toughest conference scheds, what's the most we have to look forward to at season's end? The CBI? Does KM want to lose half his JR season to play in the CBI? Especially, when he could come back for a full two years with a good shot at making the dance in both of them? Obviously, if this team pulls off a miracle and we're only looking at 2-3 losses in non con and they're developing well, then he might want to sacrifice that first half and take a shot at seeing what we can do in the A-10. Still risky given the league is once again strong. When I heard RM was urging him to redshirt my reaction was no, don't. We're gonna need you. But that's a fan being selfish. Now after giving it some thought, it makes sense if he comes back as a student, works with the team, and then gets a fresh start in the 11-12 season. Treat it like a season ending injury. He'll be able to concentrate on his studies, play his 5th year w/ a very light class schedule so he's got that load off his plate and feel a little less pressure during his last year. Bottom line, I think he should sit it out, smell the roses, be there for his mom, get comfy again at SLU, and practice w/ this year's team to help develop his young future teammates.

Us being 2-3 games over 500 in the non conf schedule is hoping for a lot. We will have to sneak up on a few teams but I guess it could happen. I think you are being very unrealistic to even be thinking about post season play of any kind given our current situation - I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. After thinking about it maybe the best thing would be for KM to sit the year. His head won't be in it anyway what with missing the classes he was passing and having to make them up - heck my head isn't in it give all that has happen and the expectations I had. At this point maybe RM is right - have him sit next semester as well and start fresh in the 2011-12 season. When he comes back I hope he gets to sit with the team like Barnett and we need to announce him as returning at the first game. I think he will get a standing O.

If McCall and Jett develop into being as good as some people think they will, it seems to me to make sense to go ahead and have KM come back and play during the second sememester. If he redshirts, it will delay the development of MM and JJ. Besides, I am confident that this staff will continue to recruit good players. If KM graduates after next season, MM and JJ will be ready to step in as juniors.

If we manage to be respectable in the nonconference, KM could come in during conference play and provide a boost like Cody. A lot would have to break just right, but maybe we make the NIT. And who knows, maybe we get hot for the conference tournament WITH KM.

I really think RM is saying he wants KM to redshirt, so the team will prepare like he is not coming back. If he does return and he plays this year, great, but I don't think he wants the team to use KM's absence as a crutch or thinking much about it.

I'm thinking that KM's best move might be to redshirt, but not because of basketball. He's missing a semester of school, so if he doesn't redshirt he will only have 3.5 years to graduate. Maybe he's a super student (or uses his summers to take courses), but it seems to me that this only enhances his chances of not graduating. Taking the extra year may be wise for basketball, but it certainly would seem it's smart academically.

If McCall and Jett develop into being as good as some people think they will, it seems to me to make sense to go ahead and have KM come back and play during the second sememester. If he redshirts, it will delay the development of MM and JJ. Besides, I am confident that this staff will continue to recruit good players. If KM graduates after next season, MM and JJ will be ready to step in as juniors.

If we manage to be respectable in the nonconference, KM could come in during conference play and provide a boost like Cody. A lot would have to break just right, but maybe we make the NIT. And who knows, maybe we get hot for the conference tournament WITH KM.

I really think RM is saying he wants KM to redshirt, so the team will prepare like he is not coming back. If he does return and he plays this year, great, but I don't think he wants the team to use KM's absence as a crutch or thinking much about it.

Ace, over the years you and I have areed on a lot of things about this program, eg we never drank Brad's koolaid. Sorry to disagree with you here, but it would be a waste for KM to come back this season. Unless, JJ and MM are J. Wall clones and RL is the second coming of CE it's highly doubtful we're getting much done in the A-10, or for that matter the Colonial League, this year. We're still young w/o WR and KM. Why should he throw away a full year's eligibility for 16 games that even with him the best we're gonna be is 9-7, and that's stretching it. Hopefully, we get surprised by something better, but let's do it w/o KM. We'll be that much stronger in the following season and the one after that with him leading the charge.

For KM's future well being he needs to come back this year. He's a good student, he'll finish college but he also has a pro basketball career ahead of him. He has a finite amount of time to make money playing basketball, alot more money than he probably makes in any other profession. If he redshirts he loses a year of earning power. If I was him I wouldn't take the redshirt.

For KM's future well being he needs to come back this year. He's a good student, he'll finish college but he also has a pro basketball career ahead of him. He has a finite amount of time to make money playing basketball, alot more money than he probably makes in any other profession. If he redshirts he loses a year of earning power. If I was him I wouldn't take the redshirt.

If he redshirts he will have two full years left to play basketball. Why do you say he will lose a year of earning power? I'm asking only because I don't understand what you mean by that.

If he redshirts he will have two full years left to play basketball. Why do you say he will lose a year of earning power? I'm asking only because I don't understand what you mean by that.

I think he is just saying earning power as in making money. If Mitchell doesn't redshirt, that will give him another year of pro basketball, wherever that may be. Like Torch was saying, he probably has a small window to make a lot of money compared to most professions, so he probably wants to 'get to work' as soon as possible. Redshirting would just push his career out another year.

Honestly, I think just for KM's peace of mind and to put everything behind him as quick as possible, he will want to play as soon as he can. Thus, even with the knowledge that redshirting can allow him an opportunity to play 2 more full years, I just think he'd prefer to play again this year.

That's a valid point, but the counterpoint would be that his earning power will be enhanced with another year of coaching under Rick. It's going to be interesting to see what he does. I kind of agree that he'll play this year, just to get the situation behind him.

It is nice of us to decide Kwamain's future, but I will throw in my 2-cents and agree with Coach Majerus: If Mitchell is readmitted, the coach said his advice would be to concentrate on school and come back next fall with two years of eligibility..."If he tells me 'I absolutely want to play,' I'm going to sit him down and tell him I wouldn't do that," Majerus said.

IMO I'd leave the decision up to KM. However, I also think that it's much better for the program to have KM in the fold THIS year. This is like the CE situation last season in many ways. I admit that I was probably leaning towards having CE sit out last season, but his presence was probably worth an extra couple of wins for us. No one is satisfied with the CBI, but we had a long postseason drought before last year and it was better for the program than nothing at all.

IMO, momemtum is hard to get and even harder to keep. I'd like to see KM back this year and keep the program's momemtum moving forward. It's not like RM has another 10 years of coaching in him. Also, I think KM has the opportunity to play professionally, but I don't see him as an NBA player (I hope I'm wrong on that). I don't think missing 10 or so games will cost him anything professionally.

Also, I'm getting a little tired of rebuilding. Let's win some games!

Us being 2-3 games over 500 in the non conf schedule is hoping for a lot. We will have to sneak up on a few teams but I guess it could happen. I think you are being very unrealistic to even be thinking about post season play of any kind given our current situation - I hope I am wrong but I doubt it. After thinking about it maybe the best thing would be for KM to sit the year. His head won't be in it anyway what with missing the classes he was passing and having to make them up - heck my head isn't in it give all that has happen and the expectations I had. At this point maybe RM is right - have him sit next semester as well and start fresh in the 2011-12 season. When he comes back I hope he gets to sit with the team like Barnett and we need to announce him as returning at the first game. I think he will get a standing O.

after reading the police report, do you still think KM will get a standing O?

That's a valid point, but the counterpoint would be that his earning power will be enhanced with another year of coaching under Rick. It's going to be interesting to see what he does. I kind of agree that he'll play this year, just to get the situation behind him.

Not sure if that is true. RM is a good coach for sure, especially at getting the most out of players, strategizing and developing bigs. But there is only so much a guard needs to learn before he goes to the next level.

after reading the police report, do you still think KM will get a standing O?

If everyone is already standing, as they should be, when the starting lineup is introduced at the start of the game, then yes he will.

If he comes in later in the game, I'll clap just like I would for any other player, no reason to stand to single him out for any reason.