track and field

Supposedly, near Grand and the SLU medical school-this will stretch us out. I just hope it can be seen by cars passing like the track and field at

Wash U.

Possibly, Lacrosse or some other sports could be played there in addition to track. I know we don't have Lacrosse right now.

Supposedly, near Grand and the SLU medical school-this will stretch us out. I just hope it can be seen by cars passing like the track and field at

Wash U.

Possibly, Lacrosse or some other sports could be played there in addition to track. I know we don't have Lacrosse right now.

Very nice. Where did you see this? Club LAX usually practiced in the fields adjacent to Tegeler Hall and T.A. Carlo Auditorium.

this was in the summer letter from the Padre B.

I drive up and down Compton most days; if you go by there, you will see huge piles of earth, where this is already started. The thing is off Compton--and if you really know the city, you might be pleased to note that the old decrepit soul food joint right across from there is all new and shiny and renovated. they got some good vittles there, fo sho.

finally: according to that letter they will not be shutting down Grand to bring down the bridge till around November; it should be down at least a year, including the metro station; for the basketball season, it looks like Compton will be JAMMED 30 minutes prior to game time. I suggest you ticket holders start planning now and my public advice is think about trying Jefferson, then west on Olive. (I have a secret way in and out for the closure of Grand bridge--I live in Tower Grove-- but I ain't tellin' nobody!)

I believe that's the plan.

Very nice, Box and Won. Good info.

I know the fields on the west edge of campus in the village have been highly utilized by our clubs (rugby, soccer) and intramural leagues, but having a field turf area would be great. The remote eastern edge of campus between the softball field and Harris Stowe have held up for a long time now, but with the arena right there, I'm sure SLU will want to keep that grass pristine and well-manicured.

this was in the summer letter from the Padre B.

I drive up and down Compton most days; if you go by there, you will see huge piles of earth, where this is already started. The thing is off Compton--and if you really know the city, you might be pleased to note that the old decrepit soul food joint right across from there is all new and shiny and renovated. they got some good vittles there, fo sho.

finally: according to that letter they will not be shutting down Grand to bring down the bridge till around November; it should be down at least a year, including the metro station; for the basketball season, it looks like Compton will be JAMMED 30 minutes prior to game time. I suggest you ticket holders start planning now and my public advice is think about trying Jefferson, then west on Olive. (I have a secret way in and out for the closure of Grand bridge--I live in Tower Grove-- but I ain't tellin' nobody!)

Doctor B.

Sorry, I don't recognize the layout/streets. You mention this is off Compton but having trouble picturing this. What are the cross streets? What is there now?

From Biondi:

Construction is under way on a new outdoor recreation complex at our Medical Center

immediately east of the Hickory East Parking Garage. The complex includes a full-size

soccer field encircled by an eight-lane, 400-meter, NCAA-regulation track, providing a

green oasis for intramural activities as well as another great exercise and recreation

space for the entire SLU community. It also will provide our track and field teams a

home on campus.

We currently are moving soil to make the track and field level, and we expect the

project to be completed in six to nine months. To accommodate the new facility, we

have relocated the Department of Nutrition and Dieteticsʼ garden to an area just

south of its current location. Additionally, sections of two streets at the Medical

Center will be closed permanently for the project: Virginia Avenue from Router Street

to lassie streets, and Hickory Street from Ranked to Compton avenues.

A number of people have worked on this project, but in particular, I want to thank

Kent Porter-field, Vice President for Student Development; Phil Alderman, Vice

President for Health Sciences and Dean of the School of Medicine; and Kathleen

Brandy, Vice President for Facilities Management, for their efforts to make our dream

field a reality.

I think they are going way too stingy on this project.

I like the idea of developing the surrounding area of the Med Campus, but I think the track and intramural field is a little out of place. I'd rather see a nicer student center and apartments for graduate students, med students, and even upperclassmen who are in Doisy College.

I am a big believer in SLU making a big investment in buying up a warehouse either behind Reinert somewhere on Forest Park Ave. or somewhere in the Valley under the bridge. This could fit in with the Chouteau Greenway project that may happen in this area. They could really use additional training facilities, a track, tennis courts, and Field Hockey fields.

The image of the track had no stands and no indoor facility for bathrooms, concessions, and storage. If they want to have track meets there they are going to need more than they are showing there. They need a shot put area, javelin area, storage for pull vault pads, long jump area, etc. I'm assuming the artists diagram was very preliminary, but as shown, this isn't impressive even for a high school facility.

I really doubt it will get nearly the amount of use on that end of campus as it would somewhere closer to the main campus. I would estimate that it will get 1/8 as much use. And the astroturf athletic field in the middle of the track is a WASTE OF MONEY. The grass intramural soccer field on the corner of Laclede and Vandy has really come along. Now the grass has established itself, its quite a nice facility. Most students show up 5 minutes late to intramural games. If they move the intramural soccer field so that its a 15 minute walk from campus most students won't show up. Think practical. These are college students we are talking about.

I think they are going way too stingy on this project.

I like the idea of developing the surrounding area of the Med Campus, but I think the track and intramural field is a little out of place. I'd rather see a nicer student center and apartments for graduate students, med students, and even upperclassmen who are in Doisy College.

I am a big believer in SLU making a big investment in buying up a warehouse either behind Reinert somewhere on Forest Park Ave. or somewhere in the Valley under the bridge. This could fit in with the Chouteau Greenway project that may happen in this area. They could really use additional training facilities, a track, tennis courts, and Field Hockey fields.

The image of the track had no stands and no indoor facility for bathrooms, concessions, and storage. If they want to have track meets there they are going to need more than they are showing there. They need a shot put area, javelin area, storage for pull vault pads, long jump area, etc. I'm assuming the artists diagram was very preliminary, but as shown, this isn't impressive even for a high school facility.

I really doubt it will get nearly the amount of use on that end of campus as it would somewhere closer to the main campus. I would estimate that it will get 1/8 as much use. And the astroturf athletic field in the middle of the track is a WASTE OF MONEY. The grass intramural soccer field on the corner of Laclede and Vandy has really come along. Now the grass has established itself, its quite a nice facility. Most students show up 5 minutes late to intramural games. If they move the intramural soccer field so that its a 15 minute walk from campus most students won't show up. Think practical. These are college students we are talking about.

The vandy field is still terrible and only gets worse as each year goes by. they have resodded the field once a year for the past four years (probably expensive, but i don't know the actual cost). It is grossly inadequate, especially if slu doesn't want to properly maintain it throughout the year. They are putting in a FieldTurf field (rather than astroturf) at the new complex which is a great surface, very durable, practical and generally cost effective. Field hockey, club sports and intramurals would all be able to use this type of field without needing to worry about how badly it rained or how torn up it is (major problems with a grass field).

It would be a bit odd if pits and other field implements are not placed within the complex, although i'm not sure if this is for anything more than practice at this point. Upgrades will have to be made if it is to be a venue for competition (concessions, etc). Also, it is sad that we lack on campus tennis courts, and seems as if they would be rather simple to plop down somewhere around campus.

The vandy field is still terrible and only gets worse as each year goes by. they have resodded the field once a year for the past four years (probably expensive, but i don't know the actual cost). It is grossly inadequate, especially if slu doesn't want to properly maintain it throughout the year. They are putting in a FieldTurf field (rather than astroturf) at the new complex which is a great surface, very durable, practical and generally cost effective. Field hockey, club sports and intramurals would all be able to use this type of field without needing to worry about how badly it rained or how torn up it is (major problems with a grass field).

It would be a bit odd if pits and other field implements are not placed within the complex, although i'm not sure if this is for anything more than practice at this point. Upgrades will have to be made if it is to be a venue for competition (concessions, etc). Also, it is sad that we lack on campus tennis courts, and seems as if they would be rather simple to plop down somewhere around campus.

We had a pretty adequate tennis facility up until they were paved over for VIP and Staff parking at Chaifetz. I agree that we do need better tennis facilities. But when golf was scrubbed for track & field, a lot of eyebrows were raised because we simply didn't have the facilities for track & field. There are tons of golf courses in the area, but not a lot of NCAA-regulation tracks. We aren't going to be the next Texas A&M or Arkansas by having kids run the 3-lane track around Hermann Stadium.

I for one am pumped to have a legit track around campus. I live 2 miles from SLU and run there and then hit the track for a few. I just hope they keep it somewhat accesible.

If you look at the picture, Compton is the street at the bottom, and you are looking west; the tall building with copper on top is the hospital. The cross street is Hickory or Rutger, I think; the restaurant is a few blocks south at Park. They are also getting rid of one or 2 of those east-west streets, I think.

Besides tennis, it would also be nice to have 2 or more full court outside basketball courts. Also as for access; i wonder if they will put the by now familiar black wrought iron "do not come in here unless you are one of us" fences up; the depiction does not show them but I would assume the answer is yes. that might mean you need to enter via the west side of the track, through the campus somehow; need to keep out the riff raff, I suppose is the logic.

If you look at the picture, Compton is the street at the bottom, and you are looking west; the tall building with copper on top is the hospital. The cross street is Hickory or Rutger, I think; the restaurant is a few blocks south at Park. They are also getting rid of one or 2 of those east-west streets, I think.

Besides tennis, it would also be nice to have 2 or more full court outside basketball courts. Also as for access; i wonder if they will put the by now familiar black wrought iron "do not come in here unless you are one of us" fences up; the depiction does not show them but I would assume the answer is yes. that might mean you need to enter via the west side of the track, through the campus somehow; need to keep out the riff raff, I suppose is the logic.

I see any additions and improvements to campus like this as a positive, even if the layout/design/location isn't perfect. I'm wondering how much this particular project will do for the core student body, though, since it's a trek from the main campus. I have a hard time picturing all those intramural teams showing up consistently when they have to go farther to get to the games. It might work more effectively if SLU had all the land in between.

But I guess time will tell, and it's cool to see more campus expansion projects going on. The Grand bridge overhaul is really going to help. And Doc, I want your secret route from Tower Grove.

I see any additions and improvements to campus like this as a positive, even if the layout/design/location isn't perfect. I'm wondering how much this particular project will do for the core student body, though, since it's a trek from the main campus. I have a hard time picturing all those intramural teams showing up consistently when they have to go farther to get to the games. It might work more effectively if SLU had all the land in between.

But I guess time will tell, and it's cool to see more campus expansion projects going on. The Grand bridge overhaul is really going to help. And Doc, I want your secret route from Tower Grove.

The shuttle service will have to ultimately play a larger role in transporting student between the two campuses, and will have to run deep into the night. I remember some intramural games starting at 9 or 10 at night.

Thanks for the update.

Does anyone know if SLU is still purchasing land not only whenever it become available (I presume they are) but also wherever it becomes available. Seems like SLU is finally getting defined borders in that they do not appear to be crossing Vandevanter anymore (West), seems like they already bought/secured much of the land behind the Coronado, Scottish Right, etc connecting with theater district (North) and that Compton is now the permanent dividing street between SLU and Harris Stowe (East) and that now SLU will try to acquire everything they can to the South while connecting SLU with the medical campus. While Doisey and the Hosptial is a long way from the core campus (Pius, DuBourg, Simon Center, etc.), it is not as far many large state school campuses. The Acquinas Center (Spring & Forest Park) is a nice addition. The Armoury bldg and a new Metro station would be great. Anyone know who is purchasing the Famous Barr warehouse?

Thanks for the update.

Does anyone know if SLU is still purchasing land not only whenever it become available (I presume they are) but also wherever it becomes available. Seems like SLU is finally getting defined borders in that they do not appear to be crossing Vandevanter anymore (West), seems like they already bought/secured much of the land behind the Coronado, Scottish Right, etc connecting with theater district (North) and that Compton is now the permanent dividing street between SLU and Harris Stowe (East) and that now SLU will try to acquire everything they can to the South while connecting SLU with the medical campus. While Doisey and the Hosptial is a long way from the core campus (Pius, DuBourg, Simon Center, etc.), it is not as far many large state school campuses. The Acquinas Center (Spring & Forest Park) is a nice addition. The Armoury bldg and a new Metro station would be great. Anyone know who is purchasing the Famous Barr warehouse?

It would be cool (expensive, but cool nonetheless) for some underground tunnels with people movers connecting the Frost Campus (I think that is still the technical name of SLU's undergrad campus) with the Med School campus. I think Wash U has some sort of tunnel or underground passageway as do many Big 10 schools (see: cold weather). As for the Armory, what an eyesore...

It would be cool (expensive, but cool nonetheless) for some underground tunnels with people movers connecting the Frost Campus (I think that is still the technical name of SLU's undergrad campus) with the Med School campus. I think Wash U has some sort of tunnel or underground passageway as do many Big 10 schools (see: cold weather). As for the Armory, what an eyesore...

For tennis courts I always thought Tegler Field would be a decent spot or the grassy area behind the softball field.

Thanks for the update.

The McGowan Brothers are rumored to be purchasing the F-B/Macy's warehouse. I believe Ameren has purchased part of the complex.

We lost alot of good men in that armory. I survived but think I have permanent asbestos on my lungs from practicing there.