Is it over?

bk18

So. Colorado and Nebraska move, but will it end there? Will the Big Ten try to go for more or stay at 12.

Also the Big 10 has 12 and the big 12 has 10 now, so are they going to change names to something different? swap names? or just leave them the way it is?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So. Colorado and Nebraska move, but will it end there? Will the Big Ten try to go for more or stay at 12.

Also the Big 10 has 12 and the big 12 has 10 now, so are they going to change names to something different? swap names? or just leave them the way it is?

One would think the B12 (really 10), may go on a raid for 2 teams? Candidates anyone, Arakansas... Memphis (Smith's offering $10mil a year for a BCS spot for Memphis), TCU? TX had to leave a bitter taste in the mouths of the teams in the B12 that won't go away any time soon.

i think it is done now unless texas and/or notre dame decide to move. they are the two big fish. everything else will trigger from them. big 12/10 giving texas their own media deal was probably the saving move.

One would think the B12 (really 10), may go on a raid for 2 teams? Candidates anyone, Arakansas... Memphis (Smith's offering $10mil a year for a BCS spot for Memphis), TCU? TX had to leave a bitter taste in the mouths of the teams in the B12 that won't go away any time soon.

The Pac 10 probably won't sit at 11. They could consider Utah or BYU and possibly New Mexico.

The Big 12 will try to get 2 teams back, IMO. As I've posted on here, adding more Texas schools doesn't help much in terms of media revenue. However, it would add more flunkies to the UT bandwagon, and that might be desirable.

Here are some candidates: Air Force, BYU, Utah, New Mexico, Cincy, Louisville, Memphis.

Just when the Mountain West added Boise State (and maybe even kansas and missouri) and was looking to improve, they might be in big trouble.

Any team that isn't in a BCS conference would be foolish to not pursue it, and the Big East football deal is small compared to what the Big 12 has.

The Big 12/10 will look to add Arkansas (a nod to the old SWC days) and possibly Texas Christian. Interesting to note that you can purchase UT gear at basically any sporting goods store in Fayetteville and Little Rock...that Texas-Arkansas rivalry would be great to see again.

It's over, for now.

The way in which Texas "saved" the Big 12 just created even more inequality for revenue. Sure, everyone's making more money now of the teams that are left, but the new tier system for revenue distribution can only be considered a band-aid. The whole reason the B12 wasn't stable in the first place was the fact that all the power and $$$ was in the south, and now that's even more the case with every south team being in Tiers 1 and 2 with all the North teams being in Tier 3. Seemingly, the only reason that any team was put in a higher "tier" was whether or not they were about to bolt for the Pac 10 or SEC. This setup will last 10 years maximum before some other conference comes calling with a better deal to KU, MU, K-State, or others.

If I'm Memphis or TCU, I'd have to be looking at the B12 as a hopeful stepping off point, rather than a long term solution.

It's over, for now.

The way in which Texas "saved" the Big 12 just created even more inequality for revenue. Sure, everyone's making more money now of the teams that are left, but the new tier system for revenue distribution can only be considered a band-aid. The whole reason the B12 wasn't stable in the first place was the fact that all the power and $$$ was in the south, and now that's even more the case with every south team being in Tiers 1 and 2 with all the North teams being in Tier 3. Seemingly, the only reason that any team was put in a higher "tier" was whether or not they were about to bolt for the Pac 10 or SEC. This setup will last 10 years maximum before some other conference comes calling with a better deal to KU, MU, K-State, or others.

If I'm Memphis or TCU, I'd have to be looking at the B12 as a hopeful stepping off point, rather than a long term solution.

Good point, although I wouldn't be shocked to see UA and TCU making a pitch to the Big XII.

Good point, although I wouldn't be shocked to see UA and TCU making a pitch to the Big XII.

If you're talking about Arkansas, no way they leave the SEC. TCU might not even want to leave the MWC now that they've added Boise St. There are definitely schools that would still benefit from bending over and taking it from UT though, so I'm sure if the B12 wants to get back to 12 it will get there, I just know that this unholy alliance won't last forever.

If you're talking about Arkansas, no way they leave the SEC. TCU might not even want to leave the MWC now that they've added Boise St. There are definitely schools that would still benefit from bending over and taking it from UT though, so I'm sure if the B12 wants to get back to 12 it will get there, I just know that this unholy alliance won't last forever.

Don't be so sure...I bet a lot of school officials in Fayetteville would love to see some of those old SWC rivalries renewed, plus I think Arkansas would be a better fit for travel within the Big XII. If you can remember some of the old SWC games, the Hogs traveled incredibly well. You don't hear a lot of woo pig sooie in Gainesville or Knoxville or Lexington.

Oh, and if the Big XII ever offered TCU, they wouldn't hesitate. The Frogs would take hosting the 'Horns in Ft. Worth over a game in Boise any day of the week.

Hell no it's not over. Over this week? Yes. Over this month? Probably. Over this year? Not so sure.

As previously mentioned, UT will now be compensated like the Big 10 schools and ND. In reality, UT deserves such compensation. At the same time, 10 is not a stable number for the Big XII and more changes will occur. The Big 10 is still looking at ND and ND is still rebuilding and positioning to renegotiate its NBC contract. If NBC does not pay ND like it has, then and only then, will ND reconsider the Big 10. Seems like ND plan, instead, is to rebuild, get good again and then demand $20 million+ plus NBC/the networks. The PAC 10 now has 11 teams (will probably add Utah or Utah State. The Big East is still relatively unstable and the dynamics of a 16 team conference are still present for the SEC and ACC. The only thing this probably over is the notion that the Big XII conference will be history. If the money is there for a 16 team SEC, then the ACC could split in half with half joining the SEC and the other half merging with the Big East. It's over for Mizzou for awhile but not the rest of college football.

Hell no it's not over. Over this week? Yes. Over this month? Probably. Over this year? Not so sure.

As previously mentioned, UT will now be compensated like the Big 10 schools and ND. In reality, UT deserves such compensation. At the same time, 10 is not a stable number for the Big XII and more changes will occur. The Big 10 is still looking at ND and ND is still rebuilding and positioning to renegotiate its NBC contract. If NBC does not pay ND like it has, then and only then, will ND reconsider the Big 10. Seems like ND plan, instead, is to rebuild, get good again and then demand $20 million+ plus NBC/the networks. The PAC 10 now has 11 teams (will probably add Utah or Utah State. The Big East is still relatively unstable and the dynamics of a 16 team conference are still present for the SEC and ACC. The only thing this probably over is the notion that the Big XII conference will be history. If the money is there for a 16 team SEC, then the ACC could split in half with half joining the SEC and the other half merging with the Big East. It's over for Mizzou for awhile but not the rest of college football.

As I understand it, the Big 12 ne Big 10 now, cannot hold a championship game meaning less $ revenues. They need 12 teams to do it. I heard one commentator from Iowa questioning where Bebe was going to come up with all this promised new revenue, not only to TX, which is easy since they'll have their own TV network, but to the other schools that were contemplating moves to the Pac 10. Memphis would seem to be a no brainer for them. Heck, Smith of FED EX has said he'd pay a BCS conference $10mil a year for admittance. As for the other teams to make 12 how about Houston, TCU or SMU? Highly unlikely Arkansas will shun the SEC for the Big 12 ne Big 10. Musical chairs isn't over yet, it's just a smaller number of chairs and players. Too bad because had the Pac 10 been able to pull it off, that would have likely started a large chain reaction and maybe enhanced our chances of getting in with the remains of the Beast BB only schools. True, ND is still the key, but they'll resist giving up their independence in FB.

i think it is done now unless texas and/or notre dame decide to move. they are the two big fish. everything else will trigger from them. big 12/10 giving texas their own media deal was probably the saving move.

Actually, all the Big 12 teams are able to have their own media deals.

The lure of the siren of being in a BCS conf will always win out.

As I understand it, the Big 12 ne Big 10 now, cannot hold a championship game meaning less $ revenues. They need 12 teams to do it. I heard one commentator from Iowa questioning where Bebe was going to come up with all this promised new revenue, not only to TX, which is easy since they'll have their own TV network, but to the other schools that were contemplating moves to the Pac 10. Memphis would seem to be a no brainer for them. Heck, Smith of FED EX has said he'd pay a BCS conference $10mil a year for admittance. As for the other teams to make 12 how about Houston, TCU or SMU? Highly unlikely Arkansas will shun the SEC for the Big 12 ne Big 10. Musical chairs isn't over yet, it's just a smaller number of chairs and players. Too bad because had the Pac 10 been able to pull it off, that would have likely started a large chain reaction and maybe enhanced our chances of getting in with the remains of the Beast BB only schools. True, ND is still the key, but they'll resist giving up their independence in FB.

Texas never liked the playoff game - they never liked the two divisions - subsequently those points you made or moot. There is little need to add any other teams unless the teams being added bring in big dollars for a TV package and none of the teams you mention will do that. While Smith might pay for Memphis to get into a BCS conf he won't pay the 10m every year so Memphis is not a long term financial gain. I do agree that the current saving of the Big 12 does make any changes for SLU unlikely at this time. Even if ND ultimately joins the Big 10 the Big East only has to add one more BB only team and that would more likely be X. By the way, all the Big 12 teams can set up their own networks if they want now so what TX got is nothing different then what the others have but I do agree that TX has a better chance to get bigger dollars.

Actually, all the Big 12 teams are able to have their own media deals.

could you clarify are you talking about the "big12/10" that mi$$ouri is in or the "big 10/12" that illinois is in?

I bet Boise St. is kicking themselves a little bit. It will be interesting to see if the Big 12 looks to replace Nebraska and Colorado or stays at 10.

That is going to be a tough conference as far as basketball with them losing two of the weaker basketball programs.

I bet Boise St. is kicking themselves a little bit. It will be interesting to see if the Big 12 looks to replace Nebraska and Colorado or stays at 10.

That is going to be a tough conference as far as basketball with them losing two of the weaker basketball programs.

I think they'll just stay at 10, as god...ahem...Texas doesn't like the championship game.

Texas never liked the playoff game - they never liked the two divisions -

Like the song says, "Whatever Lola wants Lola gets" please insertTexas for Lola. No wonder Nebraska flew the coop. Clearly all teams in the Big 10/12 are not created equal so suggestions for conference name change are in order: The Yellow Rose Conference, The Lone Star Conference, The Alamo Conference, The Austin City Limits Conference, Snow Burnt Orange and the 9 Dwarfs Conference. Texas played the whole deal very intelligently. Indeed they must have had JR Ewing as a consultant.

Texas never liked the playoff game - they never liked the two divisions - subsequently those points you made or moot. There is little need to add any other teams unless the teams being added bring in big dollars for a TV package and none of the teams you mention will do that. While Smith might pay for Memphis to get into a BCS conf he won't pay the 10m every year so Memphis is not a long term financial gain. I do agree that the current saving of the Big 12 does make any changes for SLU unlikely at this time. Even if ND ultimately joins the Big 10 the Big East only has to add one more BB only team and that would more likely be X. By the way, all the Big 12 teams can set up their own networks if they want now so what TX got is nothing different then what the others have but I do agree that TX has a better chance to get bigger dollars.

Wrong: http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/FedEx-w...ort-says-061210

10 mil annually, and while that may be a rounding error for Texas, it still increases the wealth of the league. Weak football, good to great basketball, not very good academics. Will be interesting to see what happens...

Like the song says, "Whatever Lola wants Lola gets" please insertTexas for Lola. No wonder Nebraska flew the coop. Clearly all teams in the Big 10/12 are not created equal so suggestions for conference name change are in order: The Yellow Rose Conference, The Lone Star Conference, The Alamo Conference, The Austin City Limits Conference, Snow Burnt Orange and the 9 Dwarfs Conference. Texas played the whole deal very intelligently. Indeed they must have had JR Ewing as a consultant.

Actually, they were created equal. Some schools just chose to build a brand that was successful and that people want to follow. Others chose to sit around do little and hope for handouts.

could you clarify are you talking about the "big12/10" that mi$$ouri is in or the "big 10/12" that illinois is in?

Not sure why this is confusing - the Big 10 is still the Big 10 and the Big 12 is still the Big 12 unless they change their name. So, I am talking about the current Big 12 members not counting CO and NE in 2011