O.T. Nebraska and Mizzou have till 5 Friday

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt about NE's recent - and not so recent - past. NE was good in the 1960's before Tom Osborne set foot on campus. Still, the conference realignments are not being driven by nostalgia, fans, rivalries.... Instead, it is about football TV markets -- and Mizzou appears to have big advantage. Also, academics is still part of the equation and it would seem to favor Mizzou. Finally, while not the driving force or even a major consideration, the rest of Mizzou's programs (including basketball) appear to be equal or better than Nebraska.

Nebraska has a lot in common with Notre Dame- programs with a lot of history that haven't done much of anything in the past decade but still get covered like they are top-flight because of the absolutely massive, rabid fan bases. The entire state of Nebraska is as Cornhusker-mad as any group of fans I've seen for any team. It might not be as populous as other states in whatever conference it ends up in but as far as I can tell they have 100% support within state and surrounding areas.

Nebraska also seems to have a surprisingly high number of alums in the Chicago area. For instance, it's one of the few non-Big Ten schools with an official bar in the city; ND has a couple, but that's impressive for a school that isn't in the Big Ten. I think a lot of other Nebraska alums wind up in other Big Ten areas, like Minneapolis and all over Iowa and Wisconsin.

Nebraska has a lot in common with Notre Dame- programs with a lot of history that haven't done much of anything in the past decade but still get covered like they are top-flight because of the absolutely massive, rabid fan bases. The entire state of Nebraska is as Cornhusker-mad as any group of fans I've seen for any team. It might not be as populous as other states in whatever conference it ends up in but as far as I can tell they have 100% support within state and surrounding areas.

Nebraska also seems to have a surprisingly high number of alums in the Chicago area. For instance, it's one of the few non-Big Ten schools with an official bar in the city; ND has a couple, but that's impressive for a school that isn't in the Big Ten. I think a lot of other Nebraska alums wind up in other Big Ten areas, like Minneapolis and all over Iowa and Wisconsin.

OK. Makes sense.

How do their academics stack up??

OK. Makes sense.

How do their academics stack up??

US News & World Report has it as a top-tier school, #96 overall, for what it's worth: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews....f-nebraska-2565

I'm not a big fan of these hugely flawed school ranks, but this seems to be the standard for them. This would put them at the bottom of the Big Ten (and once again, I'd argue most of those schools are way overrated academically). Missouri is #102. SLU is #88. I think Nebraska's stronger programs are in agriculture, natural sciences, and business.

I know one that lives in Swansea.

swansea doesnt even have sidewalks or a main street. primitive.

Just got what I believe to be good information.

Nebraska is going to the Big 10.

The Presidents at UT and A&M are meeting today or tomorrow and it is very likely they are going to the Pac 10.

The Texas legislature will not force anything.

Just got what I believe to be good information.

Nebraska is going to the Big 10.

The Presidents at UT and A&M are meeting today or tomorrow and it is very likely they are going to the Pac 10.

The Texas legislature will not force anything.

Wow, big news Skip! Thank you for that update. So if NU goes to the Big Ten, does MU follow suit? I think Nebraska-Iowa will be an enormously popular rivalry, probably along the lines of Iowa-Wisconsin (Heartland Trophy) and Iowa-Minny (Floyd of Rosedale)

If all this plays out Kansas, K-State,and Iowa State to the Mountain West could be a good move,the MVC already has 9 teams and the 3 would make 12.

If all this plays out Kansas, K-State,and Iowa State to the Mountain West could be a good move,the MVC already has 9 teams and the 3 would make 12.

I believe KU was one of the original Mo Valley teams (1907-1928, ask Roy)...as was Nebraska.

Just having a hard time understanding why KU, KSU and Istate would go to the MWC? Wouldn't they be better off in the Valley? KU, KSU would have I-35 rivalries with Wichita State, while Istate would have a rivalry with Drake and Northern Iowa...just saying...

I believe KU was one of the original Mo Valley teams (1907-1928, ask Roy)...as was Nebraska.

Just having a hard time understanding why KU, KSU and Istate would go to the MWC? Wouldn't they be better off in the Valley? KU, KSU would have I-35 rivalries with Wichita State, while Istate would have a rivalry with Drake and Northern Iowa...just saying...

i will be shocked to see kansas go mountain west or mvc. i am betting sec or even ACC. geography means next to nothing in this shake up imo. this is all about staying in a power conference.

wouldnt surprise me if ku and kstate head up a new conference and hand pick their partners rather than go down to the much lesser mvc or mountain west.

i will be shocked to see kansas go mountain west or mvc. i am betting sec or even ACC. geography means next to nothing in this shake up imo. this is all about staying in a power conference.

wouldnt surprise me if ku and kstate head up a new conference and hand pick their partners rather than go down to the much lesser mvc or mountain west.

Would have to agree with you there, Roy. Although it would be interesting to see if Elgin makes a play to get Lawrence and Manhattan back in the Valley footprint. If the Valley wants to quit whining when they think they should get 3-4 teams in the tournament every year, then it needs to make a play. KU-Creighton would be solid, as would KU-Wichita, but I don't see Bill Self wanting to venture to towns like Peoria, Terre Haute or Des Moines.

Wow, big news Skip! Thank you for that update. So if NU goes to the Big Ten, does MU follow suit? I think Nebraska-Iowa will be an enormously popular rivalry, probably along the lines of Iowa-Wisconsin (Heartland Trophy) and Iowa-Minny (Floyd of Rosedale)

I don't know. I wasn't told anything regarding Mizzou and didn't ask. Even with all the anti Texas exagerations I hear from Mizzou fans, I'm going to take the high road and hope for the best for Mizzou. It would be nice if they could find a conference where they could compete for conference championships. After being absolute last in the Big 12 for 14 years, maybe they will want to go to a conference where they can dominate. Perhaps the Ohio Valley is looking.

Would have to agree with you there, Roy. Although it would be interesting to see if Elgin makes a play to get Lawrence and Manhattan back in the Valley footprint. If the Valley wants to quit whining when they think they should get 3-4 teams in the tournament every year, then it needs to make a play. KU-Creighton would be solid, as would KU-Wichita, but I don't see Bill Self wanting to venture to towns like Peoria, Terre Haute or Des Moines.

i agree who would. that said, the college towns of the big 12 for the most part are no ball of fun to travel to as well.

i agree who would. that said, the college towns of the big 12 for the most part are no ball of fun to travel to as well.

You might want to check with Tim Floyd before making statements like that.

If KU were to look at starting a new conference.... KU,K-State,Iowa State. You also have to figure football into the mix,so what if Northern iowa went to D1? Mo State? I could see them talking to Memphis.Would they try to get 8 teams,and what if they wanted to add 4 non -football midwest schools? Creighton,Xavier,SLU and Dayton??? Would this be interesting, maybe the dominos are starting to fall

If KU were to look at starting a new conference.... KU,K-State,Iowa State. You also have to figure football into the mix,so what if Northern iowa went to D1? Mo State? I could see them talking to Memphis.Would they try to get 8 teams,and what if they wanted to add 4 non -football midwest schools? Creighton,Xavier,SLU and Dayton??? Would this be interesting, maybe the dominos are starting to fall

There's talk of KU getting left out. No one is really mentioning them. I still think that someone has to pick them up. Who knows though.

If KU gets locked out, they will be royally PO`d and couldn`t get enough middle fingers,so who knows what they would try,talk with anyone and everyone maybe.

If KU, K State and Iowa State somehow get locked out, I think a more likely scenario is a new league with some CUSA and Mountain West type schools. TCU or SMU, Houston or Rice, Tulsa, Colorado State, Utah, BYU, Boise State, Memphis, Southern Miss, Tulane would be more likely than working with schools to move to D1.

Nebraska jumped ship first and are in the best situation for it. Missouri played their hand foolishly. They aren't on the Big Ten's radar anymore. Top choices for Big Ten are ND, Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland. Mizzou with all their big talk looks like they are left out in the cold on this one.

The remaining Big 12 teams (excluding Baylor who won't go Pac-10, they don't want a religious school in the conference) will cherry pick from CUSA, MWC, and WAC to form a new conference.

Biggest question for us is when Mizzou joins a mid major conference will they still duck us? Will we even want to play them, having the Tigers on our schedule could hurt our RPI.

I don't know how reliable it is and it's just one report that supposedly came from a Northwestern contact that says the Big 10 is now going to ask ND, UT, A&M, and Mizzou with Nebraska supposedly already firm.

Hell, there are so many people saying so many things, I don't know what to believe.