O.T. Nebraska and Mizzou have till 5 Friday

Seen this on ESPN.com, that the Big 12 wants both to announce if they intend to go to the Big 10.

Also Texas lawmakers want Baylor to be included with Texas,A&M,Tech,Oklahoma, and OSU,instead of Colorado if they were to go to the Pac 10.

Interesting.

What can the A-10 do to reach 16 teams?Should they???

If so ask Butler and VCU??

Thoughts

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Colorado has more in common with the Pac 10 than the Big 12 and actually had many partnerships in place with them already research wise. It will be interesting but I'm not sure Baylor will be able to piggy back on Texas again.

If NU and MU say they're going, the dominos will fall. Texas will no doubt jump ship. Realignment has more to do with what Texas does than MU and NU. If they say they will stay, than Texas will likely stay. Reportedly the Pac10 has said that anything is on the table from retaining the current size to inviting the entire Big 12 (both unlikely obviously).

As for the A-10... Personally I think 12 teams is as big as a conference should be, but I think 16 teams is where things are moving and that the A-10 should keep pace with the BCS conferences. Now how to do that is a great question. It really depends if the A-10 wants to keep the current teams and add a couple teams or jettison some of the bottom feeders and add between 4 and 6 teams. You have to think that there won't be any teams added east of St Louis and south of North Carolina, so that limits the range of possible teams.

So keeping things the same +2, I think they should get a couple more midwest teams and even the conference out a little bit. IMO, the best teams that could be added could be the following:

Butler - Good recent history

Detroit - Pretty similar to other A-10 profiles and could be on the rise. If they have a good season like everyone is predicting they could land some place better than the Horizon.

Depaul - if they get dropped from the Big East in the shuffle, would be a good add. Could allow A-10 to get into the Chicago market

If they get rid of a couple of the bottom feeders (ie Fordham), they could try to add some of the above teams plus some east coast teams. VCU (though I don't think Richmond would like them in the same conference), Hofstra (Slight upgrade over Fordham?), or any other teams that follow out favor in the Big East. I'm honestly kind of at a loss as to who else we could add.

Seen this on ESPN.com, that the Big 12 wants both to announce if they intend to go to the Big 10.

Also Texas lawmakers want Baylor to be included with Texas,A&M,Tech,Oklahoma, and OSU,instead of Colorado if they were to go to the Pac 10.

Interesting.

What can the A-10 do to reach 16 teams?Should they???

If so ask Butler and VCU??

Thoughts

The A-10 is in a waiting position. The reality is that just about all of the A-10 programs would love to move in with the 7 basketball only Big East teams should that conference fall apart. Until the Big 10 makes its move and invites some of the Big East football schools to join there is nothing for the A-10 to do.

I still contend that this all comes down to ND. MU and Nebraksa are surely calling the Big 10 right now and asking if they really have an invite. The Big 10 is likely telling ND to make up their mind. If ND is willing to join the Big 10 and form a 12 team league, then that would be it. The Big 12 would stay intact and little would change. If ND declines or says they'll only join a 16 team version of the Big 10, MU and Nebraska will likely get their offers as will 2 others from the Big East. The Big East will fall apart as the remaining football schools will draw to the ACC and SEC and the Pac 10 will become the Pac 16. There will be 4 power football conferences and the Big East will turn into a basketball only conference with them picking off the top teams from the A-10. Hopefully things will break our way if it plays out like that and we'll get an invite with some of the others from the A-10.

OK, if Pac10 goes to Pac16, Big10(11) goes to Big10(16), then ACC and SEC cannabilize the rest, then where does that leave KU and K-state? (Iowa St and Baylor too, but I would be more surprised to see the first two get completely shafted). Big10(16) would be full and the other three are centered on coasts (not that Texas travelling to Washington wouldn't be interesting. Texans probably can't even imagine what Washington looks like). The Kansas schools are quality BCS football and basketball schools. No one seems to be looking at getting it as bad as them. With those four schools left in the rain, might some schools be looking west for a new conference?

OK, if Pac10 goes to Pac16, Big10(11) goes to Big10(16), then ACC and SEC cannabilize the rest, then where does that leave KU and K-state? (Iowa St and Baylor too, but I would be more surprised to see the first two get completely shafted). Big10(16) would be full and the other three are centered on coasts (not that Texas travelling to Washington wouldn't be interesting. Texans probably can't even imagine what Washington looks like). The Kansas schools are quality BCS football and basketball schools. No one seems to be looking at getting it as bad as them. With those four schools left in the rain, might some schools be looking west for a new conference?

Like I said, everything at this point depends on Texas (and it's sister schools which for political reasons get to go for a ride). If Texas goes to the SEC, KU could maybe get an invite to the Pac10. If Texas goes to the Pac10, KU might be able to go to the SEC.

On the other hand, Kansas could very well be left out.

Like I said, everything at this point depends on Texas (and it's sister schools which for political reasons get to go for a ride). If Texas goes to the SEC, KU could maybe get an invite to the Pac10. If Texas goes to the Pac10, KU might be able to go to the SEC.

On the other hand, Kansas could very well be left out.

Agreed. Largely, I believe KU is too big a program, especially in b-ball, not to get an invite somewhere big. The SEC seems the logical choice given that the Big 16 and Pac 16 will be full. K-state will go wherever they do.

Iowa St and Baylor could very well be screwed no matter what they do. Iowa St. would potentially join the MVC (edit: obviously they play big-time football and the MVC doesn't so that probably makes that unlikely) and Baylor could end up in the Mountain West with TCU.

Conference USA may also be an option for some schools. It would rank above the Missouri Valley, I'm sure. And maybe some of the super-conferences would consider 18 teams!

I can't see KU being left out in the rain. As for ISU, KSU, and Baylor... who knows?

I can't see KU being left out in the rain. As for ISU, KSU, and Baylor... who knows?

Several of these schools are not going to be picked upped by the Big 10 and Pac 10. My guess is they will form another conference if they don't like the the WAC, Mtn West or CUSA which, if they also invite BBall only schools, maybe another option for the Bills. I would not mind being in a conference consisting of KSU, ISU, the Oklahoma schools, Baylor, maybe some desertions from the CUSA (like a Memohis & Tulsa), Mtn West (TCU), etc...

from an overall athletic conference view, slu cannot compete in a conference of mostly public state schools. the non revenue sports would generally be eaten alive.

Several of these schools are not going to be picked upped by the Big 10 and Pac 10. My guess is they will form another conference if they don't like the the WAC, Mtn West or CUSA which, if they also invite BBall only schools, maybe another option for the Bills. I would not mind being in a conference consisting of KSU, ISU, the Oklahoma schools, Baylor, maybe some desertions from the CUSA (like a Memohis & Tulsa), Mtn West (TCU), etc...

Al, we'd never be invited to something like that. They're all FB schools. What's bothersome w/ all this talk is the Beast seems to be out of the conversation unless both the B10 and Pac10 go to 16 schools. Then that would force the ACC and SEC to take similar steps. Possibly the B-10 might drop a Beast target to bring KU into the fold, and they should given KU's bb tradition, which would mean to get to 16 they'd only take 2 Beast schools. From our POV we want the Beast to implode.

Colorado has more in common with the Pac 10 than the Big 12 and actually had many partnerships in place with them already research wise. It will be interesting but I'm not sure Baylor will be able to piggy back on Texas again.

If NU and MU say they're going, the dominos will fall. Texas will no doubt jump ship. Realignment has more to do with what Texas does than MU and NU. If they say they will stay, than Texas will likely stay. Reportedly the Pac10 has said that anything is on the table from retaining the current size to inviting the entire Big 12 (both unlikely obviously).

As for the A-10... Personally I think 12 teams is as big as a conference should be, but I think 16 teams is where things are moving and that the A-10 should keep pace with the BCS conferences. Now how to do that is a great question. It really depends if the A-10 wants to keep the current teams and add a couple teams or jettison some of the bottom feeders and add between 4 and 6 teams. You have to think that there won't be any teams added east of St Louis and south of North Carolina, so that limits the range of possible teams.

So keeping things the same +2, I think they should get a couple more midwest teams and even the conference out a little bit. IMO, the best teams that could be added could be the following:

Butler - Good recent history

Detroit - Pretty similar to other A-10 profiles and could be on the rise. If they have a good season like everyone is predicting they could land some place better than the Horizon.

Depaul - if they get dropped from the Big East in the shuffle, would be a good add. Could allow A-10 to get into the Chicago market

If they get rid of a couple of the bottom feeders (ie Fordham), they could try to add some of the above teams plus some east coast teams. VCU (though I don't think Richmond would like them in the same conference), Hofstra (Slight upgrade over Fordham?), or any other teams that follow out favor in the Big East. I'm honestly kind of at a loss as to who else we could add.

Texas is playing an interesting game here. If everything depends on them, why are they waiting for Nebraska & Missouri to decide? On one hand, Texas could go to almost any conference. But they have 2 issues, as I see it. First of all, they won't be able to call the shots in a new conference in the same way they do right now. Secondly, no conference will be able to take them without taking at least one other Texas school and maybe as many as 4 of them. As I've pointed out on the board for some time, Texas politicians won't go away easily.

I'm not sure the Big 10 will want to accept the likes of Texas Tech. The Pac 10 has already made a play for 3 of the 4 Texas schools. The SEC could probably absorb them the best.

Al, we'd never be invited to something like that. They're all FB schools. What's bothersome w/ all this talk is the Beast seems to be out of the conversation unless both the B10 and Pac10 go to 16 schools. Then that would force the ACC and SEC to take similar steps. Possibly the B-10 might drop a Beast target to bring KU into the fold, and they should given KU's bb tradition, which would mean to get to 16 they'd only take 2 Beast schools. From our POV we want the Beast to implode.

If the Big 10 goes beyond 12 schools, they'll raid the Big East. They don't want to be just a Midwest league and as good of programs that Nebraska historically has in football and KU in basketball, they want to have an East Coast footprint. KU isn't going anywhere without K-State, so anybody that wants the Jayhawks will have to give up two spots. If they expand beyond 12, look for at least 2 to be poached from the Big East with the remainder of the Big East football schools scrambling to join the ACC and SEC.

If the Big 10 goes beyond 12 schools, they'll raid the Big East. They don't want to be just a Midwest league and as good of programs that Nebraska historically has in football and KU in basketball, they want to have an East Coast footprint. KU isn't going anywhere without K-State, so anybody that wants the Jayhawks will have to give up two spots. If they expand beyond 12, look for at least 2 to be poached from the Big East with the remainder of the Big East football schools scrambling to join the ACC and SEC.

The Big 10 already has an Eastern footprint...Penn State. Not that they couldn't improve upon that, but Penn State gives you Pittsburgh and Philly and is the closest thing the NYC area regularly considers a home town team for college football (sorry Syracuse, Rugers, and UConn). Also, I think if KU is faced with the choice of going to a better conference or sticking it out with K-State in a Big 12 leftover/CUSA/Mountain West combo, they probably dump their rival unless Kansas politicians are like Texas politicians.

The Big 10 already has an Eastern footprint...Penn State. Not that they couldn't improve upon that, but Penn State gives you Pittsburgh and Philly and is the closest thing the NYC area regularly considers a home town team for college football (sorry Syracuse, Rugers, and UConn). Also, I think if KU is faced with the choice of going to a better conference or sticking it out with K-State in a Big 12 leftover/CUSA/Mountain West combo, they probably dump their rival unless Kansas politicians are like Texas politicians.

Kansas Board of Regents said that KU and KSU will be in the same conference, which really limits KU.

Maybe this has already been discussed, but why is Kansas excluded from all Big 10 merger discussion? I am not a big KU fan but I don't see why the Big 10 would necessarily want MU over KU.

Geography, academics and the primary reason-- $$$/TV markets (St. Louis and Kansas City) instead of just Kansas City.

What's the attraction with Nebraska over Missouri? Better football program but less people/TV sets/revenue, etc.?? I am no Mizzou guy but Mizzou sure seems more attactive.

Nebraska has a much better football history, but it's been several years since they were at the top (although they seem to be getting better). The teams have been pretty much equal on the football side recently, but Nebraska still probably has better appeal to casual fans. Missouri has been much better in basketball, but that isn't as important.

Nebraska has a much better football history, but it's been several years since they were at the top (although they seem to be getting better). The teams have been pretty much equal on the football side recently, but Nebraska still probably has better appeal to casual fans. Missouri has been much better in basketball, but that isn't as important.

No doubt about NE's recent - and not so recent - past. NE was good in the 1960's before Tom Osborne set foot on campus. Still, the conference realignments are not being driven by nostalgia, fans, rivalries.... Instead, it is about football TV markets -- and Mizzou appears to have big advantage. Also, academics is still part of the equation and it would seem to favor Mizzou. Finally, while not the driving force or even a major consideration, the rest of Mizzou's programs (including basketball) appear to be equal or better than Nebraska.