OT- Soccer World Cup

Here's the final roster. Thoughts?

Bob Bradley Names 23-Man Roster

Bob Bradley unveils his 23-man World Cup rosterBob Bradley Names 23-Man Roster

Edson Buddle and Herculez Gomez have made the U.S. World Cup roster, coming from obscurity a few months ago to earn trips to South Africa.

U.S. coach Bob Bradley cut seven players from his preliminary roster on Wednesday to reach the 23-man FIFA limit.

Let go were defenders Chad Marshall and Heath Pearce; midfielders Alejandro Bedoya, Sacha Kljestan and Robbie Rogers; and forwards Brian Ching and Eddie Johnson.

Midfielders Landon Donovan and DaMarcus Beasley, and defender Steve Cherundolo earned their third World Cup trips. Beasley's selection capped a comeback from nine months of national team exile that ended in March.

Both Buddle and Gomez are forwards, and Bradley said they "both have been in great form, scored a lot of goals this year."

Bradley gathered with his coaching staff on Tuesday to make the final decisions following a 4-2 exhibition loss to the Czech Republic, a match used to evaluate players on the bubble rather than to showcase starters for his team's June 12 World Cup opener against England.

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton, England), Tim Howard (Everton, England).

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes, France), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Clarence Goodson (IK Start, Norway), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan, Italy), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England).

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus, Denmark), Stuart Holden (Bolton, England), Jose Torres (Pachuca, Mexico).

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Hull, England), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles), Robbie Findley (Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Puebla, Mexico).

I'm not a Ching fan, but I'm really not sold on Buddle. One thing I like about Ching is his work rate. It's probably more my lack of knowledge of Buddle than it is my wanting Ching. Not a big deal though, I'd trust Bradley.

The other person I'd like to have seen make it is Robbie Rogers for Beasley.

I think Buddle does everything that Ching does, but better. I also think he offers more going at players and is more of a threat to score. But like you said, I don't think it's a big deal as defense is a much much bigger concern.

Our LB spot is in shambles and we have 3 hurt center backs (with Gooch's form being the biggest concern of the 3).

Even with our relatively weak group, I see 3 and out for us.

A little surprised that Findley made it over Ching. I thought Ching showed some creativity last night. Like both Buddle and Gomez. Wouldn't mind seeing Altidore and Buddle up top with Gomez coming on in the 2nd half for some energy. Goodson impressed me last night and I would have preferred Rogers over Beasley, but overall not bad. Gooch looked bad though... hope he can be at 100% in two weeks because he definately wasn't vs. the Czechs. I'm a little concerned about our D.

I'm not the most knowledgeable soccer fan but isn't Brad Davis just behind Landon Donovan in total points? Put Ching in there and put Davis in there then you have some instant offensive rapport as Davis sets up Ching quite often.

I'm not the most knowledgeable soccer fan but isn't Brad Davis just behind Landon Donovan in total points? Put Ching in there and put Davis in there then you have some instant offensive rapport as Davis sets up Ching quite often.

instant offensive rapport is a little different in the WC than in MLS

I'm good with Buddle over Ching. I just haven't seen him enough to have a good opinion, so I'll defer to those who have.

I think Gooch will be fine, I'd be shocked to see him go 90, but for 60 he'll be good. On the goal last night the forward had his arm on Gooch's shoulder, but Gooch should have been more aware and made a better play. I suspect he'll play quite a bit in the next two warm ups and get his A game back.

The lack of speed on defense worries me.

I think Gooch will be fine, I'd be shocked to see him go 90, but for 60 he'll be good. On the goal last night the forward had his arm on Gooch's shoulder, but Gooch should have been more aware and made a better play. I suspect he'll play quite a bit in the next two warm ups and get his A game back.

I hope you're right. Gooch's explosiveness looked non-existent.

For anyone who's interested, there is going to be a World Cup viewing party for the US-England game at Old Post Office Plaza downtown - they're bringing in big screens, showing Game of their Lives/Miracle Match beforehand, food, drinks, etc. Should be fun.

The downtown bars are also going to be running drink specials during all the games throughout the tournament.

For anyone who's interested, there is going to be a World Cup viewing party for the US-England game at Old Post Office Plaza downtown - they're bringing in big screens, showing Game of their Lives/Miracle Match beforehand, food, drinks, etc. Should be fun.

The downtown bars are also going to be running drink specials during all the games throughout the tournament.

The timing of the match couldn't be worse for me. At 1:30 Central Time on Saturday, June 12th, I will be driving a moving truck from Cincinnati to St. Louis, probably somewhere in rural Indiana or Illinois at the start of the match. I might be back in time to catch the ending, but have no idea how I'd go about watching it.

Anyone know if this is going to be broadcast on anything other than Sirius/XM radio? Are local ESPN affiliates picking it up?

The timing of the match couldn't be worse for me. At 1:30 Central Time on Saturday, June 12th, I will be driving a moving truck from Cincinnati to St. Louis, probably somewhere in rural Indiana or Illinois at the start of the match. I might be back in time to catch the ending, but have no idea how I'd go about watching it.

Anyone know if this is going to be broadcast on anything other than Sirius/XM radio? Are local ESPN affiliates picking it up?

Im in a very similar situation. Im going to a Friday night wedding in Cincinnati so im debating on getting up extremely early on saturday morning or just hanging around Cincinnati and watch the game there then drive back to St. Louis after. On top of that June 12th is my birthday so I would like to get to St. Louis at a reasonable hour to go out and celebrate it. Im leaning towards getting up around 5 or 6am and heading back to St. Louis, which will be brutal considering the state I will be in Friday night...

Im in a very similar situation. Im going to a Friday night wedding in Cincinnati so im debating on getting up extremely early on saturday morning or just hanging around Cincinnati and watch the game there then drive back to St. Louis after. On top of that June 12th is my birthday so I would like to get to St. Louis at a reasonable hour to go out and celebrate it. Im leaning towards getting up around 5 or 6am and heading back to St. Louis, which will be brutal considering the state I will be in Friday night...

Also going to a Friday night wedding, in St. Louis. Coming from Chicago likely on Thursday night or Friday, but if I have to get back on the road to drive to Chicago during the game I will be unhappy.