SLU at Dayton

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a couple days removed now, so I didn't want to start a new thread, but just some observations from the Dayton game, which I attended in person:

-Went with my girlfriend and her dad, both life-long Xavier fans. We all had SLU stuff on, since they'll root for SLU second and everyone hates Dayton. Our seats were horrible; I asked for best available and we were about 5 rows from the top. If you've never been to UD Arena, it has a U-shaped ceiling, so from where we were, we couldn't see the upper deck on the other side and had a nice view of the top of the scoreboard.

-Unlike when Dayton fans visit SLU and are basically crammed in 2 sections all together, the SLU fans were kind of sprinkled throughout the arena, without any big block other than the few rows behind the bench. We didn't have any SLU fans near us.

-It was the quietest game I've been to in a long, long time- probably since some of the games in Scottrade during the 2004-2005 season. I think my voice stood out quite a bit because Dayton fans were silent, except for some booing going into halftime. There were some eruptions later in the second half, when they brought the margin down to 2 possessions and then 1 on a couple 3's and a put-back dunk. Majerus was brilliant with his timeouts in silencing the crowd and stopping Dayton's momentum.

-We always complain on here about the fogeys who leave early to beat traffic at SLU games. At the under 4:00 media timeout (3:45 or so), Dayton was only down 7 and people started making their way down the stairs. This happened again at the next couple whistles, but the real exodus was at 1:29 with Dayton down 7 or 9 (can't remember exactly, but it wasn't a done deal at this point). I was shocked at how lame they were about this in a game that wasn't out of reach.

-UD fans were nice in general; no one said anything to me in my SLU gear on the concourses before, during, or after the game; a couple people behind us, younger guys drinking a lot, gave me trouble when I complained about one call, but that was it.

-The gameday experience at UD Arena has a small-town event feel to it. It's a lot different than going to games in St. Louis. Hard to describe, but just felt like a big high school playoff game or something. My girlfriend joked that I should take a few pictures of the fans and post them here, but I told her I would just be ripping off People of Walmart. We saw more sweater vests in one place than you could imagine, along with multiple jean shorts (it's March!), and my personal favorite, a blue, white, and red Labatt Blue hockey jersey worn by a large old woman.

-There's nothing about the game itself that I can add here that you guys haven't covered. Awesome wire-to-wire win, spoiled their senior night, silenced the crowd, didn't cough up our big lead (whew), and didn't allow them to go on a big run. I can't say enough about the poise shown by such a young team.

-It was the quietest game I've been to in a long, long time- probably since some of the games in Scottrade during the 2004-2005 season. I think my voice stood out quite a bit because Dayton fans were silent, except for some booing going into halftime. There were some eruptions later in the second half, when they brought the margin down to 2 possessions and then 1 on a couple 3's and a put-back dunk. Majerus was brilliant with his timeouts in silencing the crowd and stopping Dayton's momentum.

-We always complain on here about the fogeys who leave early to beat traffic at SLU games. At the under 4:00 media timeout (3:45 or so), Dayton was only down 7 and people started making their way down the stairs. This happened again at the next couple whistles, but the real exodus was at 1:29 with Dayton down 7 or 9 (can't remember exactly, but it wasn't a done deal at this point). I was shocked at how lame they were about this in a game that wasn't out of reach.

-on their board there is a lot of ripping on gregory (remember, he could have been ours) and praise for rick

-the practice of fans leaving early is probably universal

-this team did something that had not been done since 2003, and that is win its last road conf game (whether that was match ups or something else, 6 yrs is trend)

-i hope they use the time to rest

-notice the improved ft% in the last few games and how we mostly hit them at the end on saturday

-on their board there is a lot of ripping on gregory (remember, he could have been ours) and praise for rick

-this team did something that had not been done since 2003, and that is win its last road conf game (whether that was match ups or something else, 6 yrs is trend)

-notice the improved ft% in the last few games and how we mostly hit them at the end on saturday

Great points.

Regarding fans leaving early, I don't see this at Xavier games except for when they're blowing teams out. I've gone to all but about 5 games since moving to Cincinnati in late 2007 (they haven't lost a conference game at home during this stretch), and I'm impressed with the fans there. I thought Dayton fans were more hardcore than what I saw. Granted, it felt like a bigger loss than it was, but that surprised me. I've seen SLU come back from 9 down at 49 seconds left and win (in OT).

The free throw shooting seemed great to me, except for Willie going 1-4 at the end. We were up 11 with around a minute when he first went to the line and went 1-2, so this didn't seem like a big deal. Take him out, and we were 18-22- great FT night for us. Salecich and Ellis each hitting all their free throws late was really the clincher for us in that game. Even though we're young, I sense a certain fearlessness with this team that's been there all year long and never ceases to impress me. These guys don't look like freshmen going to the line late in a conference game on the road.

Winning the last conference road game is a huge boost heading into AC. I like our quarterfinal round chances there. Any word on when the team is heading out there? Wednesday is my guess, but just curious.

The two Dayton-SLU games were similar. In each game, the visiting team built about a 15-point halftime lead. And in each game, the home team made a second half run to get within striking distance. The big difference is that we hit our free throws to seal the win at Dayton. They missed free throws in the last minute at the Fetz to open the door for our come back. The young Billikens showed a lot more composure in both games, than the more experienced Flyers did.

I think that people probably were leaving because they were just throwing in the towel. My mom's boss gave up his tickets for that reason. My grandpa felt the same way. Then, talking to UD fans at the game, I would say that 1 of the 4 expected UD to win this game, which I was shocked about! So, by the time that the end cam about, it was time to pack it in and look forward to next year. I doubt that if it was an exciting game (from their point of view anyway, because I thought it was AWESOME) that there would have been such a mass exodus.

Salecich and Ellis each hitting all their free throws late was really the clincher for us in that game. Even though we're young, I sense a certain fearlessness with this team that's been there all year long and never ceases to impress me. These guys don't look like freshmen going to the line late in a conference game on the road.

That's probably because the Aussies aren't typical freshmen. They're older — more in line with the sophomores — turning 20 this year, and they have international experience.

That's probably because the Aussies aren't typical freshmen. They're older — more in line with the sophomores — turning 20 this year, and they have international experience.

Right- and I love what that does for us. They have ice in their veins.