ESPN Bubble Watch

sluhomer

Fresh from ESPN, SLU is now mentioned on the Bubble Watch.....

Saint Louis [17-8 (8-3), RPI: 84, SOS: 133] With a No. 84 RPI rating, Saint Louis is definitely a fringe bubble candidate at best. But the Billikens' 8-3 record in A-10 play can't be completely ignored. Saint Louis has three home victories over RPI top-50 opponents, beating Richmond, Dayton and Rhode Island. The Billikens are 3-5 in road games, 3-1 against RPI top-50 opponents and 4-5 against the top 100. The Billikens also have three unsightly losses against RPI sub-100 opponents, losing to No. 114 Iowa State (neutral court), No. 132 George Washington (road) and No. 177 Bowling Green (road). The Billikens will have a few chances to improve their profile before the end of the regular season. After playing at Massachusetts on Sunday, Saint Louis plays three straight home games against Xavier on Feb. 24, Duquesne on Feb. 27 and Temple on March 3. It closes the regular season at Dayton on March 6.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch

Also this from today: http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basket...ling-through-10

Meet me in St. Louis

They are No. 84 in the RPI standings. Their best non-league wins were over Nebraska and Belmont. They do not play in one of the country club conferences. But the Saint Louis Billikens may be in position to storm the NCAA Tournament field.

Although they're led by one of the best-known coaches, Rick Majerus, no one's really noticed the Billikens. But their list of victims includes Rhode Island, Richmond and Dayton—all NCAA contenders—and they've still got Xavier and Temple coming to them and a shot at a big road win at Dayton

SLU might have to win all its remaining games and do some Atlantic 10 Tournament damage, but this team is alive.

I did a quick check of the RPI of at-large teams who were 10, 11, or 12 seeds in last years NCAA tourney, assuming those were pretty much the last teams in.

Dayton - 11 seed - RPI 27

Minnesota - 10 seed - RPI 42

Michigan - 10 seed - RPI 44

Wisconsin - 12 seed - RPI 45

Maryland - 10 seed - RPI 55

Arizona - 12 seed - RPI 62

Looks like we need to jump about 25 - 35 in the RPI. I don't know if the Bills can pull this off. I just hope they get to the point where I can yell and scream that they deserve an at-large. Of course, the other option is just to flat out win the A10 tourney, which certainly appears to be on the radar now.

I did a quick check of the RPI of at-large teams who were 10, 11, or 12 seeds in last years NCAA tourney, assuming those were pretty much the last teams in.

Dayton - 11 seed - RPI 27

Minnesota - 10 seed - RPI 42

Michigan - 10 seed - RPI 44

Wisconsin - 12 seed - RPI 45

Maryland - 10 seed - RPI 55

Arizona - 12 seed - RPI 62

Looks like we need to jump about 25 - 35 in the RPI. I don't know if the Bills can pull this off. I just hope they get to the point where I can yell and scream that they deserve an at-large. Of course, the other option is just to flat out win the A10 tourney, which certainly appears to be on the radar now.

Thx for the research. I think we are at 77 now right?

realtimerpi.com says 84. If you have a source that says 77, then I like your source better.

I was just reading someone's comments from STLTODAY.COM and they had mentioned that we were 77...for all I know the guy could be a space alien and pulling that number out of his ass.

I was just reading someone's comments from STLTODAY.COM and they had mentioned that we were 77...for all I know the guy could be a space alien and pulling that number out of his ass.

ESPN RIP also lists us as 84....

Davola were you the one who got a high five near the end of the game from one of our guys... I dont remember which one but he was going nuts and running down the court. Christian?

realtimerpi.com says 84. If you have a source that says 77, then I like your source better.

realtime has two rating numbers. RPI 84 Power rating 77. Those are SLU's numbers. :D

ESPN RIP also lists us as 84....

Davola were you the one who got a high five near the end of the game from one of our guys... I dont remember which one but he was going nuts and running down the court. Christian?

That could have been me...depends on which game you are talking about. The game against Dayton, Mitchell went flying out of bounds and I ran over as he was coming back on the court and he gave me a high five. Was it the RI game that you saw the high five? Also, I swear this happened and I missed an opportunity...but right after we came out of a timeout last night (we were down by 2) I was yelling at Cody, in an encouraging way of course, 'Start raining 3s Cody..Rain them all day long' Well, what do you know...the play was drawn up for Cody because he took the three in the corner right in front of me off the in bounds play, and right before it went nothing but net, I swear he reached back and tried to give me a fist pump and I missed it because I was too busy going nuts. It was pretty funny though.

That could have been me...depends on which game you are talking about. The game against Dayton, Mitchell went flying out of bounds and I ran over as he was coming back on the court and he gave me a high five. Was it the RI game that you saw the high five? Also, I swear this happened and I missed an opportunity...but right after we came out of a timeout last night (we were down by 2) I was yelling at Cody, in an encouraging way of course, 'Start raining 3s Cody..Rain them all day long' Well, what do you know...the play was drawn up for Cody because he took the three in the corner right in front of me off the in bounds play, and right before it went nothing but net, I swear he reached back and tried to give me a fist pump and I missed it because I was too busy going nuts. It was pretty funny though.

Thats the exact moment I was talking about... DAVOLA FAIL.

SLU's story this year is starting to emulate Washington of 2004. However we areactually in a better situation. Below is an article from back then making their case.

"College Basketball

Pac-10 notebook: Using RPI, UW would end up RIP

By Bud Withers

Times college basketball reporter

Pac-10 RPIs

# Team

5. Stanford (25-0)

37. Arizona (18-8)

87. California (13-12)

96. UW (15-10)

100. Oregon (12-11)

104. USC (12-13)

110. UCLA (11-14)

159. Ore. St. (10-15)

174. Wash. St. (11-14)

182. Ariz. St. (10-16)

Last week on a national teleconference, Iowa athletic director Bob Bowlsby, chairman of the Division I basketball committee, characterized the Ratings Percentage Index as only "a blunt instrument" by which to judge NCAA tournament hopefuls.

But then, committee members always downplay the RPI computer, an amalgam of winning percentage (25 percent), strength of schedule (50 percent) and opponent strength of schedule (25 percent).

Washington (15-10) must hope the committee members are true to their word — in the extreme.

The Huskies have emerged as a rare case, perhaps almost a test case of what's important to the committee. They're not one team, but two — the nondescript outfit that lurched to a 5-8 record through Jan. 15, and the one that has caught fire to win 10 of 12.

Some perspective: Among the "BCS" leagues and imposing Conference USA — most of the heavyweights of college basketball — Washington is one of nine teams to go 10-2 in its last 12.

The others: Duke, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Stanford, Oklahoma State, Memphis, Illinois and DePaul. All but DePaul are locks for the NCAA tournament.

"Problem is: Washington's RPI is mired at 96. The worst at-large RPI ever was New Mexico's 74 in 1999.

A couple of former committeemen, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and ex-Santa Clara athletic director Carroll Williams, wouldn't predict definitively what might happen to the Huskies, but they make it clear that Washington still has serious work ahead.

A strong finish is historically important. But, as Thompson says, "It's over 27 games — not the first 15, not the last 15."

"They're playing in a conference that — I'll be honest with you — is not what it has been," Williams said.

Each scoffed at the importance put on the RPI. Still, Washington's current number would seem to be too low to pick.

But there's an apparent flaw in the RPI. A conference's numbers become established through November and December, and the Pac-10 is ranked a dismal ninth. Washington is clearly light-years from the team it was in December, but its victories are cheapened because of the early "picture" taken of the league.

It's worth remembering that the selections don't happen in a vacuum. Bowlsby, for instance, might have to explain to conference brethren at Purdue — victor over Duke, Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan State — why the Huskies were picked over the Boilermakers. Ditto for other members."

SLU's story this year is starting to emulate Washington of 2004. However we areactually in a better situation. Below is an article from back then making their case.

I decided to do a little more research on this Washington team since the article (obviously) does not say how the season played out. As I Basketbill hinted, but did not explicitly say, they did make the NCAAs and as an 8 seed no less. After being 15-10 at the time of the article they won their next 4 in a row (all at home) over Cal (rpi at the time 109), Stanford (15), UCLA (128), and Arizona (44). Then they lost at Stanford (not sure if this or earlier games were part of the Pac-10 tournament) and lost to UAB in the first round of the NCAAs. They finished the season 19-12 and with an RPI of 69 (not sure what it was going into the tourney).

http://www.realtimerpi.com/2003-2004/rpi_342_Men.html

Hopefully the Bills follow the same path as this Washington team for next year as well. The following year they were 28-6 with an RPI of 3 and a #1 seed.

They were 19-11 going into the tourney and lost to UAB. I believe it was Romar's first year as coach there. IF they were a 69 and NM a 74 there is precedence for a team to improve. Clearly the addition of Ellis has made this a different team, and the additional maturity that KC , KM, WR and even CS are playing with have helped them improve.

They were 19-11 going into the tourney and lost to UAB. I believe it was Romar's first year as coach there. IF they were a 69 and NM a 74 there is precedence for a team to improve. Clearly the addition of Ellis has made this a different team, and the additional maturity that KC , KM, WR and even CS are playing with have helped them improve.

Every minute played's a plus for these kids. Who expected they'd mature this fast? Not me, I had 'em for 12 wins... pass the crow and dijon please.