Hoya Student Body

adramos77

How many feet of snow on the ground in D.C.?

Their student section is packed --- and they don't play on campus.

Wow. Excellent work, Gee-Town.

Every time I watch a comparable Jesuit school with a decent sized undergraduate population, it makes me physically ill to think that sometimes there's less than ten students cheering for SLU in our student section.

And how good their team is has nothing to do with it.

Every time I watch a comparable Jesuit school with a decent sized undergraduate population, it makes me physically ill to think that sometimes there's less than ten students cheering for SLU in our student section.

They also have the best public transit system in the country and the GUTS bus system which is free compliments that. Still good work and one of them is my niece!!! As for how good their team is a recent final four visit goes a long way….

It's getting better. The only time we haven't had decent turnout was over break and that is something to work on for next year.

They also have the best public transit system in the country and the GUTS bus system which is free compliments that. Still good work and one of them is my niece!!! As for how good their team is a recent final four visit goes a long way….

Definitely an impressive showing from the Georgetown fans. However, you are talking about a top #10 team playing the #2 team in the country and a historically great program that plays in the Big East. I am not sure SLU and Georgetown would ever be compared as far as basketball programs. If you want to point to a game that should show SLU fans how to give their team a true home court advantage with a much more comparable program, turn it on ESPN2 and look at UD Arena. Those fans bring it.

Then we have the most fair weather student body in the country. UNC is struggling but I don't see students boycotting the games until Matt Doherty returns from his SMU exile.

Then we have the most fair weather student body in the country. UNC is struggling but I don't see students boycotting the games until Matt Doherty returns from his SMU exile.

Yeah, you are right. North Carolina and SLU are on the same playing field. Good call. Great post. Wow. Just wow.

Congrats on the career don't know what that has to do with anything though. But if you've been to 5 games and they were all over SLU's Christmas break, then you have not seen the student section when school is in session They actually have valid excuses, such as night

class, which I have on wednesday nights. As you probably know wednesday nights are prime Billiken game times. I agree that excuses are limited on weekend games.

Congrats on the career don't know what that has to do with anything though. But if you've been to 5 games and they were all over SLU's Christmas break, then you have not seen the student section when school is in session They actually have valid excuses, such as night

class, which I have on wednesday nights. As you probably know wednesday nights are prime Billiken game times. I agree that excuses are limited on weekend games.

Night class? What about day classes? I would always make sure my nights were free for attending games AT THE SCOTTRADE CENTER.

Obviously the G'town bus would alleviate this, but there is no Metro stop actually in the Georgetown. You have to either get off at Foggy Bottom (where GWU is) or Rosslyn (in Virginia) and walk a little ways. I've walked a few times from the Foggy Bottom stop to the Georgetown area, but not to the campus itself, so I'm not sure how much further you'd have to walk to get there. I've also stayed in a hotel about 1.5 blocks from the Rosslyn stop and could see Georgetown from there, though I'm not sure how long of a walk it is. Either way, to get to the Verizon Center would take longer from Georgetown than the Scottrade Center from SLU.

As an aside, I was in DC for what the news stations called "The Great Blizzard of 2006", and it's not fun walking a few blocks to a Metro stop in several inches of snow.

I'll still give G'town students credit for a good showing, though the #2 vs. #8 matchup should bring in a good crowd.

They also have that little number eight next to their name, which certainly helps. If SLU were #8 in the country, I'm pretty sure we'd have an unbelievable student turnout.

They also have that little number eight next to their name, which certainly helps. If SLU were #8 in the country, I'm pretty sure we'd have an unbelievable student turnout.

Not to mention they're on ESPN every other game or so. If we had ESPN coverage, make that any kind of TV coverage, our students would be there. It's a way to prove to their parents they're really attending college and not on a binge drinking road trip. Big time TV coverage has always bought out the best in SLU students attending games. Recall the Louisville upset. But the most important thing still remains W's. Believe it or not, for all you youngsters on here, there was a time when GU basketball was irrelevant. That was prior to John Thompson being named HC in the early 70s. Interestingly enough, SLU, in the 50-60s, was one of the top Catholic programs in the country along with Providence, DePaul, St. Johns, Loyola-Chi (maybe leaving out a few). We played in one of the top basketball conferences in the country, the old MVC, and made the NIT (bigger than the NCAA back then) almost every year. We let it slip away, however, and have struggled ever since to get back the magic. Hopefully, we're turning the corner with the Chey and RM as HC. It doesn't take long if the powers that be get behind it and commit to doing it. In fact, once a rep is made and continued for awhile it tends to snowball. What will be interesting to see will be the student turnout for the upcoming games against the biggies of the A-10. If students don't show up en masse for those games, then they truly don't give a ######. I would hope the upcoming home stand will fill the Chey for those games and the place will be rocking. As for next year, after we start about 12-0 and enter the top 25, every game will be a sellout.

the real issue here is that we should be in the MVC, dont you think? That will solve everything.

You're kidding about that last part, right? right? :lol: