Carbondale beats Belleville West 81-72

jmolina

I gotta admit I saw this coming. Carbondale had already defeated West in Belleville no less. To face them again in Carbondale would be no easy feat. Tommie Liddell had one of the more curious stat line vs Edwardsville in their Sectional Championship Game. 15 points on 3/3 fgs 8/10 from the line and 7 rebounds. He had 7 points going into the half which means he did not have an official fg attempt in the 2nd half. I'm of the opinion that the best defense against him is not to get him riled up. How does his coach allow him to take only 3 official shots. Coach Soderberg please become his enemy and not his friend ala Dennis Brooks

but sometimes you've got to blame the individual rather than the coach. How much does this guy even want to play basketball? Does he even care to win?

That Riverfront Times article and the Vashon game just leads me to think the guy doesn't care. Now you tell me that in a sectional game, he only took 3 SHOTS?? This looks like a player, who doesn't want the spotlight and simply wants to blend in. I wonder if that factored in his decision to stay at SLU and play in the Atlantic 10.

You keep bringing up the Vashon game as if he played poorly. Indeed he took only 3 shots but his team was up 20 ending the 3rd quarter. I look at what he did last year when he scored 23,21,and 20 points. He was playing phenomenal but the team wasn't. This year they have 3 players averaging double figures in the postseason and a 4th in Gerald Bell very close. They are winning and when teams challenge, he steps up. He only had 3 "official" shots. He made all 3 and shot 80% from the line.I think he is trying to give his teammates confidence because he knows he can't do it alone.

but I say it's when you score the points. At the end of EACH quarter of Vashon's game, Tommie Liddell never touched the ball. Now he shouldn't bring up the ball every time. He plays too many minutes and has too many responsibilies. However, he SHOULD bring the ball up EVERY time it's East Side's last possession of each quarter. I'm not saying he needs to jack up a bad shot, but with his distribution ability and obvious scoring skill are ideal for him being isolated one on one at the end of the game... and if he's doubled or tripled team, he has the awareness and skill to find the open man for an easy shot. I'm not laying ALL of the blame on Mr. Brooks. It's up to Tommie himself to take over the game when they need him.

Yes, Tommie scored over 20 against Vashon and was truly dominant for a period in the 4th quarter, but where was he in the last minute. Don't give me this he was double covered and didn't get enough picks. If he wanted it badly enough, he could have taken the ball up himself. That's the problem that I see. He doesn't have the will to win.

everyone is talking about. Liddell had a few brief stretches of brilliance, but I didn't see the dominance everyone else saw. Many of his baskets were on putbacks in that 4th quarter run.

While he defended pretty well, I thought Polk was too quick for him on the perimeter.

that one of the reasons SLU landed Tommie was his desire to not be "big-time". I shouldn't even acknowledge that with a response but I will. In all likelihood Tommie's decision to come to SLU is an indication of his desire to be "the man." If he wanted to just blend in he could have gone to a better school where he would have been the 3rd or 4th rated recruit in that class. Instead he is arguably SLU's top recruit this year (no disrespect intended for Polk or Meyer) and there is a lot of pressure on him to "lead" the Bills for the next four years. In my opinion, Tommies decision to attend SLU shows his desire to be the man.

>

>While he defended pretty well, I thought Polk was too quick

>for him on the perimeter.

You stated that he wants to blend in and Polk was too quick for him on the perimeter. I think Polk proved that he is too quick for most guard, including guards his height. Tommie routinely states how he along with Dwayne Polk want to take SLU to a higher level. That not a statement one would make if he did not want to be the man. It's more pressure for a player to take a team that doesn't get the high profile recruits like Missouri on your shoulders, even more so when that player is local and drawing comparisons to the all-time greats of his city. No matter what Tommie does at SLU his career would be deemed a failure if he doesn't go to the league. I routinely hear people like you in the stands judging Liddell talents inferior to that of Phillip Glibert.

This post is intended especially for Billiken Roy. There is a rumor floating around about Lisch suiting up with the St Louis Eagles. I sincerely hope this is not true as I believe AAU ball is what has primarily taken away Liddell's aggressiveness. I say this as I don't believe Liddell has had a cumulative 4-6 months off from basketball during the last 5 years. I have seen the Eagles compete in a Chicago Tourney and I do not believe they ran a single play. Everything was up and down. In addition all of that basketball over the years has to have an affect on a players attitude. For the last 4 years Liddell has known no matter what happened he would be back on the court in a months time. It's very rare to find a player of Lisch's talent who plays every game as if it's his last. Lisch playing AAU ball would do him a disservice.

He has too much talent to be a mediocre player. I see him having a nice career at SLU. If he wants to be, he'll be a great player for SLU or simply a solid player for SLU

AJ, you don't get it. Tommy had FIFTEEN rebounds in the Vashon game. I think any forward or center signing with Mizzou next year would be touted as Charles Barkley by you if he snagged fifteen rebounds against Vashon.

Let me review your criticisms. He should have scored more, he needs to be the point guard, he needs to shoot more, and he shouldn't listen to his coach. Hmmm, looks like you want a Mizzou clone AAU star. Tommy will have his fires stoked at SLU, and we will see how SLU/Mizzou plays out during our vey solid incoming freshmen class for the next four years.

Good luck rooting for your sad sack All American wannabe quitters. They quit on you, they quit on themselves, and they quit on Mizzou. Tommy won't quit.

as recently as this past week, i heard it from as close from kevin as can be without it being kevin himself that he would not play aau. that said, i know that jones would love to have kevin on the eagles and has been asking him to play for a couple of years. who knows. catch him in a weak moment, maybe he said he would. kevin will make his decision before the aau season starts is my guess. i am still hearing slu, illinois and notre dame.

30 mph winds for the last 2 days non-stop. is it always this windy in the caribean?

It can be breezy and it has nothing to do with when you go. One of our cruises was in June. We had a balcony and it was too breezy to leave the door open the whole cruise. Enjoy it BRoy, as far as I am concerned cruising is an outstanding vacation value and especially when you live in Florida and can drive to the various ports. I can't wait until we take our next cruise...trying to plan one for next New Year's Eve.