Jeff Reid will not return this year

Bishop

So what is his status? Since he will not be enrolled in classes, could he still save his redshirt? Or does sitting out this semester constitute a type of redshirt?

I believe the rule is that you have 5 years to complete your 4 years of eligibility. That means this would be his redshirt year and next year he will just be considered a RS Freshman

I believe the rule is that you have 5 years to complete your 4 years of eligibility. That means this would be his redshirt year and next year he will just be considered a RS Freshman

I think he needs to apply for a medical redshirt. Given the fact he has to leave school for a medical issue, he should be able to get one. It's that or he loses this year in terms of eligibility.

What are the particulars on how it happened? Was it in the Notre Dame game? There wasn't a big deal made about it when it happened, perhaps because he is not a key player the way Kwamain is. When Mitchell went down for a game last year due to a concussion there was a lot made of it. He must have taken quite a shot for it to linger like this. Best of luck to Jeff. This has to be terribly disappointing for him and his family.

What are the particulars on how it happened? Was it in the Notre Dame game? There wasn't a big deal made about it when it happened, perhaps because he is not a key player the way Kwamain is. When Mitchell went down for a game last year due to a concussion there was a lot made of it. He must have taken quite a shot for it to linger like this. Best of luck to Jeff. This has to be terribly disappointing for him and his family.

Yeah it happened in the Notre Dame. Pretty sure he collided with Ben Hansbrough. I listened to that game on the radio, but don't remember his injury being mentioned. It's possible that he walked off the court on his own power, which would have made the injury seem more noticeable.

I'm pretty sure I was listening to the SLU-Temple game last year when Kwamain got injured, and it was definitely mentioned. Probably in part because as you said, Kwamain was a key player for us, thus his absence more noticeable, plus I think Kwamain may have hit his head on the floor, and Rammer and Earl had plenty of time to comment on it while the SLU medical staff was attending to Kwamain, very possibly on the court.

Yeah it happened in the Notre Dame. Pretty sure he collided with Ben Hansbrough. I listened to that game on the radio, but don't remember his injury being mentioned. It's possible that he walked off the court on his own power, which would have made the injury seem more noticeable.

I'm pretty sure I was listening to the SLU-Temple game last year when Kwamain got injured, and it was definitely mentioned. Probably in part because as you said, Kwamain was a key player for us, thus his absence more noticeable, plus I think Kwamain may have hit his head on the floor, and Rammer and Earl had plenty of time to comment on it while the SLU medical staff was attending to Kwamain, very possibly on the court.

I thought I would be able to get information about Jeff from Hayden High people, but no one seemed to know anything. I suspect they just were being tight lipped because of all the issues involved. I hope he will fully recover from all of his problems and return to St. Louis. Everyone I talked to said he was very excited when he signed and I know you did not get to see him at his best. Good Luck with the rest of the season.

Tough break for Mr Reid.

He was a scrappy player, made a lot of energy plays like Jon Smith. we could have seen a similar transition to what Smith has gone through if we had a healthy Reid.

Best of luck to Reid in whatever he chooses to do.

Tough break for Mr Reid.

He was a scrappy player, made a lot of energy plays like Jon Smith. we could have seen a similar transition to what Smith has gone through if we had a healthy Reid.

Best of luck to Reid in whatever he chooses to do.

Get well and come back. You need to get healthy and we need a sharpshooter. Tough break.

I was at the game in Chicago and from what I can remember, Jeff had Ben Hansborough trapped in the corner and Ben threw a high elbow to try and make room. The elbow hit Jeff in the face and then he was actually called for a foul. I believe he left the game after the play, but didn't go down...walked off the court on his own and didn't return.

Maybe nobody wants to talk about the elephant in the room or maybe I'm the only one that has this view, but I think the chances of Reid ever playing for the Bills again are fairly small.

As we all know, there may be need for an additional scholarship to free up. I could see RM offering the following to Reid to open up his scholly;

1) you can go on medical leave from the team and keep your scholarship to the school. You will no longer be able to play basketball at SLU which will free up your scholly, but we won't turn our back on you and will take care of your education costs until you graduate. Chris May suggested such an option is available during his chat.

2) If Jeff still feels he can still play basketball he can transfer to another school.

If these options are granted (we may never know of course) I don't think anybody could call it unfair and criticize Majerus for running off players.

I think he needs to apply for a medical redshirt. Given the fact he has to leave school for a medical issue, he should be able to get one. It's that or he loses this year in terms of eligibility.

No I do not believe thats the case. Jeff last played in the Notre Dame game which was the 8th game of the season (including the exhibition). Thats under the limit for being eligible for a regular redshirt. Now if Jeff were to come back next year as a RS Freshman and had another serious injury over the next 4 years that caused him to miss a season then he would have to apply for a medical redshirt, which would grant a 6th year of eligibility for Jeff.

I went through the redshirt process in college and thats how it was explained to me

No I do not believe thats the case. Jeff last played in the Notre Dame game which was the 8th game of the season (including the exhibition). Thats under the limit for being eligible for a regular redshirt. Now if Jeff were to come back next year as a RS Freshman and had another serious injury over the next 4 years that caused him to miss a season then he would have to apply for a medical redshirt, which would grant a 6th year of eligibility for Jeff.

I went through the redshirt process in college and thats how it was explained to me

A regular redshirt is lost the second you step on the court for a regular season game.

Even before this concussion there was talk Reid would take a medical redshirt to fix the bunion on his foot. At the time, people said he could play in up to 6 games (20% of the season?) before a decision had to be made. Although this was the Bills 8th game, he only played in 5 so a medical redshirt is likely.

Whatever the case, I believe the consensus on here is that he get better. Once that is done and life is "normal" this group would support whatever decision comes. I too believe that, with time, my hopes on Jeff as a basketball player were as high as they were for Jon Smith, and that similar progress could be expected. If Jeff can shoot, which I thought he could, a role for that skill is still open on this team.

Best wishes for the young man and here's hoping we see him back. Health first.

Thanks for the update. Yeah, I remember the Mitchell one well. That seemed like it would be extremely serious. He can back after one game and played great. Concussions are very unpredictable. After sitting out for a year, and if his health is ok, a year at juco might make some sense for Jeff. Give him some playing experience and also make sure everything is ok physically.