Relphorde

dewey33

Roy, I've never seen you so broken up about a player getting away. As Irvin pointed out, why didn't you get bent out of shape about the previous coach not getting Ahearn? He wound up playing in the NBA and he wanted to play at SLU!

he was never a billiken. i am not going to pine for someone that never was a student at slu. big difference. btw, as i proved above with the official colorado box scores and season stats, relephorde is playng guard for the buffs.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, Roy thinks Majerus owed Marcus the chance to play the position he wanted. Coaches are supposed to cater to the players instead of players doing what's best for the team, which last year might have meant playing down low. He would not have played on the wing last year with Tommie still here. This year would have been his first year to get minutes on the wing and now that Cody's here he probably wouldn't get that time anymore.

Shaw, Ahern, Falker, Harrelson, and the SIU guard from McCluer whose name I can't remember. The list goes on and on with players who went elsewhere who Roy didn't hold the coach accountable for and now he's harping about Marcus Relphorde of all people.

the 4 ton elephant in the room you wont admit is that this isnt about rickma thinking relephord wasnt a guard and had to play center to be successful. this is about rickma finding a way to get relephorde out of town because he wasnt his recruit. rickma is a proven judge of talent and no way i believe that rickma just didnt see relephorde could have been a wing at slu.

as to cody on the wing, surely you arent serious.

the 4 ton elephant in the room you wont admit is that this isnt about rickma thinking relephord wasnt a guard and had to play center to be successful. this is about rickma finding a way to get relephorde out of town because he wasnt his recruit. rickma is a proven judge of talent and no way i believe that rickma just didnt see relephorde could have been a wing at slu.

I disagree. I don't think RM sacrifices success for his own personal ego. Not that I don't think he has a huge ego, imo he does, I just doubt he sacrifices the success of the team.

I just don't think he saw Marcus as a fit, when Marcus played his freshman year, he looked lost. He always seemed to be thinking, not just playing. Maybe RM missed on this one, maybe there is a reason why he just wasn't a good fit with RM's system who knows. We're doing well, Marcus is doing well, looks like this one worked out for everyone.

Roy, your hatred of Majerus has clouded your mind to the hundreds of other possible reasons Relphorde and Majerus didn't mesh. I for one, believe we needed Marcus to play the post and he didn't want to. Our needs and his desires didn't mesh. Surely that's more believable than your deluded view that a maniacal, crotch grabbing, dictatorial, drooling, Majerus kicked a talented player out because of who recruited him.........

If you believe Majerus is this awful, It would almost make you an accessory to vulgarity in supporting the Billikens.

I disagree. I don't think RM sacrifices success for his own personal ego. Not that I don't think he has a huge ego, imo he does, I just doubt he sacrifices the success of the team.

I just don't think he saw Marcus as a fit, when Marcus played his freshman year, he looked lost. He always seemed to be thinking, not just playing. Maybe RM missed on this one, maybe there is a reason why he just wasn't a good fit with RM's system who knows. We're doing well, Marcus is doing well, looks like this one worked out for everyone.

i'd be lost as well if i was asked to play a position i had never in my life played before and was being told play that or nothing.

i do agree i am happy it all worked out for marcus. good for him he ended up getting to be a focus player at a bcs school playing a position on the floor he enjoyed.

"If you believe Majerus is this awful, It would almost make you an accessory to vulgarity in supporting the Billikens."

Rich, i'm not sure what this means but man it sure is a pretty quote. "accessory to vulgarity" is downright poetic. i bet it would make a hell of a rap.

Guest BillikenReport

Here's the most recent box score for Colorado:

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...tclid=204868407

The Buffs had a starting lineup of one center/forward (a former teammate of Cody and Christian) and five guards. Relphorde is the second-tallest player in the starting lineup, so while he's technically not a forward he has some of the same responsibilities (rebounding and defensive matchups) that he would have had if he stayed at SLU and played more power forward.

Of all of players who have transferred during the Majerus era, I think most people would agree that Relphorde was the most talented and the most legitimate Division I player. Only one other of those players has landed at a D-1 school, but it's a school that is transitioning from D-2 to D-1 and has to be considered one of the worst D-1 schools out there.

If Sodie were still here, we might have a decent 3 in Relphorde and the rest of the lineup would be something like Knollmeyer at center, Anthony Mitchell at power forward, Dustin Maguire at shooting guard and no point guard or bench, because that's what we typically got with Sodie teams. Wow, fun times. ;)

What about Kramer? ;)

this is getting ridiculos. if he saw relphorde as someone who could fill a spot on the wing, why would he tell him otherwise? wouldn't his ego want him to win? that doesn't make any sense. so by telling marcus that he has to play down low, that forces him out of town. couldn't marcus have looked at the situation and decided there's plenty of pt to grab down low. i'll honor my commitment and see what happens. had rick kept him on the wing, at the earliest he would have started getting pt this year.

i'm still mad that sodie wanted to run john seyfert out of town and you won't admit it. at least rick was giving marcus an option - just one he didn't like.

by the way, marcus's 3 point fg percentage is 34%. he's not exactly lighting it up from the outside.

and, yes, i am serious about cody playing on the wing. i wasn't sure about it until you informed me that marcus, who was slow and robotic, is getting it done on the wing. if marcus can do it so can cody.

Here's the most recent box score for Colorado:

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SP...tclid=204868407

The Buffs had a starting lineup of one center/forward (a former teammate of Cody and Christian) and five guards. Relphorde is the second-tallest player in the starting lineup, so while he's technically not a forward he has some of the same responsibilities (rebounding and defensive matchups) that he would have had if he stayed at SLU and played more power forward.

Of all of players who have transferred during the Majerus era, I think most people would agree that Relphorde was the most talented and the most legitimate Division I player. Only one other of those players has landed at a D-1 school, but it's a school that is transitioning from D-2 to D-1 and has to be considered one of the worst D-1 schools out there.

One thing RM missed that might have helped him stay a Bill. He was 3-6 from the line, isn't that a Billiken f/t line?

Being in Denver, I've watched a few of CU's games and Relphorde is definitely not playing a traditional inside (PF or C) position and is playing most of his time on the wing. When he has a size advantage, they will dump it in low to him, but he does a lot of floating on the perimeter.

I was bummed to see him go and I think Roy is right, Marcus would fill a big need on the team right now. Now, whether he would have the same success under Majerus is a different story, but he is showing the ability to be a very effective 3 (and sometimes 4) against the top teams in the country.

he was never a billiken. i am not going to pine for someone that never was a student at slu. big difference. btw, as i proved above with the official colorado box scores and season stats, relephorde is playng guard for the buffs.

Not a big difference. AHEARN WANTED TO BE A BILLIKEN, BUT A CERTAIN COACH DIDN'T OFFER HIM. And you apologized for that coach.

Not a big difference. AHEARN WANTED TO BE A BILLIKEN, BUT A CERTAIN COACH DIDN'T OFFER HIM. And you apologized for that coach.

and had ahearn ever become a billiken i would have defended him to the end. but he didnt. so blake ahearn means nothing to me. why would i defend a southwest missouri state player? you make no sense on this.

and again, this isnt about soderberg and a player that never played at slu. this discussion is about an ex player and rickma.

and had ahearn ever become a billiken i would have defended him to the end. but he didnt. so blake ahearn means nothing to me. why would i defend a southwest missouri state player? you make no sense on this.

and again, this isnt about soderberg and a player that never played at slu. this discussion is about an ex player and rickma.

It is not about Sodie, but he is brought up to highlight your hypocrisy in they way you evaluate coaches. Ahean means nothing to you BECAUSE your favorite coach didn't offer him a schollie, even though he wanted to be a Billiken. To me, that is a far worse mistake, than tinkering with somebody's position, as Majerus did. Yet, you never criticized that coach. You never criticized that coach for recruiting Anthony Mitchell. In fact, you defended it, saying you saw him play a good game in high school. Never criticized a coach for signing the likes of Horace Dixon, Obi and those two juco guards who never even made it into school and had no business being signed by SLU. YET, you nitpick Majerus on this Relphorde thing. Nobody made Relphorde leave. Perhaps Majerus made an error on what position Relphorde should play? Fair enough. It's just amazing to see you suddenly become such a harsh critic, when you used to be such a consistent apologist for the previous coach. And before you start, spare me the response about how one coach makes more money than the other. :(

again, how do you know that he was told pf or leave? you speculate like crazy on here and, at times, it borders on slander. but if anyone says anything about sodie (like when he said he wanted to ask seyfert to leave) you throw a fit.

i'd be lost as well if i was asked to play a position i had never in my life played before and was being told play that or nothing.

i do agree i am happy it all worked out for marcus. good for him he ended up getting to be a focus player at a bcs school playing a position on the floor he enjoyed.

It is not about Sodie, but he is brought up to highlight your hypocrisy in they way you evaluate coaches. Ahean means nothing to you BECAUSE your favorite coach didn't offer him a schollie, even though he wanted to be a Billiken. To me, that is a far worse mistake, than tinkering with somebody's position, as Majerus did. Yet, you never criticized that coach. You never criticized that coach for recruiting Anthony Mitchell. In fact, you defended it, saying you saw him play a good game in high school. Never criticized a coach for signing the likes of Horace Dixon, Obi and those two juco guards who never even made it into school and had no business being signed by SLU. YET, you nitpick Majerus on this Relphorde thing. Nobody made Relphorde leave. Perhaps Majerus made an error on what position Relphorde should play? Fair enough. It's just amazing to see you suddenly become such a harsh critic, when you used to be such a consistent apologist for the previous coach. And before you start, spare me the response about how one coach makes more money than the other. :(

actually my favorite coach over the last 30 years would be romar followed by grawer then spoon.

and if you want to believe than rickma didnt make relephorde leave that is your decision.

i am a harsh critic of rickma the person more than rickma the coach. i just think that a saint louis uninversity head coach should be a good person as well as a good basketball coach.

"i just think that a saint louis uninversity head coach should be a good person as well as a good basketball coach."

roy - you are such a good person. good people often slander others on internet message boards. good people gossip, speculate, and judge others.

you still haven't answered previously posed questions as to how sodie is off the hook for formulating the intent to ask seyfert to leave.

apparently a good person wouldn't ask a player to play a position he has never tried before. Man, I'm glad you aren't a coach.

actually my favorite coach over the last 30 years would be romar followed by grawer then spoon.

and if you want to believe than rickma didnt make relephorde leave that is your decision.

i am a harsh critic of rickma the person more than rickma the coach. i just think that a saint louis uninversity head coach should be a good person as well as a good basketball coach.

That is a pretty harsh statement to state that Majerus is not a good person.

Tommie Liddell was, in essence, our power forward for a couple years. It's called being a team player. God love him for that.

If Marcus saw himself in a different role than we needed AND found a better fit elsewhere GOOD FOR HIM. To use this situation to further your vendetta against Majerus is to invite ridicule.......

And for the thousandth time, Romar's recruiting and his leaving did little to improve the Billiken's lot. His stint here would be considered a failure measured against any first rate athletic program.

Roy, How is God's name do you know if Rick is a bad person? Do you guy's hangout? Go to dinner together? please enlighten us.

Or are you speculating? It seems like you are doing a lot of that today.

again, how do you know that he was told pf or leave? you speculate like crazy on here and, at times, it borders on slander. but if anyone says anything about sodie (like when he said he wanted to ask seyfert to leave) you throw a fit.

Also, everybody praised Luke Meyer for being a good soldier and agreeing to play the 4 for the good of the team, yet Relphorde apparently wasn't interested in making that same sacrifice. Doesn't make him a bad kid, but it also doesn't make RM a villain, no matter how hard those with a vendetta against the coach would like to portray it that way.

For sure, Brad's best recruit after TL and KL. If Brad were still here, Relphorde would be facing triple teams every nite and averaging 6ppg and 12 to's. He's moved on and so should we.

We have moved on. I was just making a response. Is there a problem with that?

Tommie Liddell was, in essence, our power forward for a couple years. It's called being a team player. God love him for that.

If Marcus saw himself in a different role than we needed AND found a better fit elsewhere GOOD FOR HIM. To use this situation to further your vendetta against Majerus is to invite ridicule.......

And for the thousandth time, Romar's recruiting and his leaving did little to improve the Billiken's lot. His stint here would be considered a failure measured against any first rate athletic program.

How can anyone compare any former coaches ability to recruit to RM's when all they had was the West Pine Gym to show recruits. Romar had more top 50 recruits willing to visit than any other aslu coach. If Chafeitz had been available to Romar, we would have possibly gotten recruits as talented as the ones he has gotten at Washington.

How can anyone compare any former coaches ability to recruit to RM's when all they had was the West Pine Gym to show recruits. Romar had more top 50 recruits willing to visit than any other aslu coach. If Chafeitz had been available to Romar, we would have possibly gotten recruits as talented as the ones he has gotten at Washington.

Count me in the camp who thinks that had Romar just stuck around a few more years, the talent level would have gotten exponentially better. He was just starting to get a feel for how to recruit at SLU when he left.

Count me in the camp who thinks that had Romar just stuck around a few more years, the talent level would have gotten exponentially better. He was just starting to get a feel for how to recruit at SLU when he left.

Billiken Fans are always hopeful but there is little evidense to back up such hope. I just remember such great student athletes as Randy Pulley, and the always enigmatic Floyd Mcclain.

There was thin beer left when Romar bolted and Hollins left. It seems like Hollins is the recruit that everyone is willing to give Romar a lot of credit over since he went on to UCLA. I say Romar was headed for a fall with several academic casualities (Edwin and Pulley) and scampered.......